Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
I don't think your reading comprehension is up to snuff.
Basically I was saying if Jolla are going to go out cheap then a 4.5in qHD device with 1GB RAM, 1.5GHz Dualcore A9... Sell it for $400 and watch developers flock.

Otherwise they should go for something decent like I proposed; +4.7in, +720p, S600+, 2GB+... sell for $700.

Otherwise its just history repeating itself.
N900 - could've gotten upgrade to 1GHz and 512MB RAM
N9 - could've gotten upgrade to Dualcore and better screen
Jolla - as described

Just like Jesus said, either be hot or cold. If you be lukewarm, its unpleasant and causes me to spew from thr mouth.
My reading comprehension is perfect. You don't seem to comprehend the things that you spew. Let me start with a saying that we have based on your Jesus quote: "You shouldn't be either hot or cold, always aim for the middle." It sits in the mid range both price wise and spec wise. Size can be both large and small depending on the person. SoC is fast enough and is of premium quality, which should shut up both camps that would rather have a tiny bit faster Chinese chip or a tiny bit slower, but proven Qualcomm chip. RAM at 1GB is plenty and midrange and so is the rest. Get a grip with the specs and enjoy the unlike of Jolla, which is the other half together with the UI.

And, just keep in mind, Jolla will in no way ship devices in Samsung's or Apple's volume. They can't have such low prices on low volume initial orders. Simple as. Also, please do answer, "how many would buy a new device with no promise of support in early days at 700EUR?

In conclusion, their first device should be aimed at the midrange, which can suit both parties, the potential lowend buyers that might go up if interested, and potential highend buyers that might go lower for the experience. Jolla have done a decent job in this regard, but also offer quite a different experience with the UI and the other half.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 160 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Spain
The Jolla official letter (credits to Roger Waters):

Hey you! Out there in the cold
Getting "Torch", getting "Bold", can you feel me? (to a BB user)

Hey you! Standing in the flock
To get iPhone and to be blocked, can you feel me? (to a queuing overnight iSheep)

Hey you! Don't help them to bury the light
Don't give in without a fight. (to an undecided buyer)

Hey you! Out there on your own
Being brainwashed by iPhone, would you touch me? (to an iFan)

Hey you! With your gear trashed by S.Flop
Waiting for something to swap, would you touch me? (to an N9 user)

Hey you! Would you help me with carving the phone?
Open your heart, I'm coming home. (to the Community)

But it was only a fantasy
The wall was too high as you can see
No matter how he tried he could not break free
And the worms ate into his brain. (about the first four individuals)

Hey you! Out there on the road
Always seeking for source-code, can you help me? (to a Sailfish dev)

Hey you! Out there beyond the wall
Who avoids to be a thrall, can you help me? (to a Maemo hardcore fan)

Hey you! End up this nasty specs brawl
Together we stand, divided we fall. (to all you guys)

Boy, what can I say? EPIC......No, LEGENDARY......

Last edited by xanderx; 2013-09-27 at 07:50.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to xanderx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
My reading comprehension is perfect. You don't seem to comprehend the things that you spew. Let me start with a saying that we have based on your Jesus quote: "You shouldn't be either hot or cold, always aim for the middle." It sits in the mid range both price wise and spec wise. Size can be both large and small depending on the person. SoC is fast enough and is of premium quality, which should shut up both camps that would rather have a tiny bit faster Chinese chip or a tiny bit slower, but proven Qualcomm chip. RAM at 1GB is plenty and midrange and so is the rest. Get a grip with the specs and enjoy the unlike of Jolla, which is the other half together with the UI.

And, just keep in mind, Jolla will in no way ship devices in Samsung's or Apple's volume. They can't have such low prices on low volume initial orders. Simple as. Also, please do answer, "how many would buy a new device with no promise of support in early days at 700EUR?

In conclusion, their first device should be aimed at the midrange, which can suit both parties, the potential lowend buyers that might go up if interested, and potential highend buyers that might go lower for the experience. Jolla have done a decent job in this regard, but also offer quite a different experience with the UI and the other half.
Lol you're just a collection of fail aren't you?
The Bible quote is about people. It talks about people who try very hard to seem and reflect that they are Christians but are in fact doomed. Its basically saying, remove that burden and don't be Christian as your heart desires, at least you would be true to yourself and live a comfortable like. But if you actually do acts and follow in Christ's footsteps then just do that.

Its basically saying do this, or do that. Don't stay stranded in the middle, destined for doom.

I can prove your comprehension is not only "not perfect" its actually pretty darn poor. I mean the bible quote which you looked up clearly says "I spit you out of my mouth" is an indication that it is an undesired effect... where you mistranslated it to be a desired one.

What I'm saying is Jolla needs to be hot or cold, not lukewarm.
Cold - Cheap, good enough to boot -> like a Raspberry Pi
Hot - Expensive, competitive with other offers, its heat (specs) will go a long distance -> like a well-made furniture

Lukewarm - Neither cheap nor expensive, runs okay but not competitive in the slightest, gets forgotten quicker than it should.

I never asked Jolla to ship in Apple's figures. Not even Nokia's... okay maybe Nokia's (lol).
$700 has A LOT of room for profits, parts, and other expenses. You are in denial if you think not.
The hardest part is to get the wheels rolling, like you said, but hard is not impossible.
Jolla's really taken the easy route by opening pre-orders, not releasing specs, and then making them lukewarm.

Like I said, Jolla is following in the footsteps of N900 and N9... both devices that came in an era where they could've done better but didn't. Fruitful hopes lost in poor management.

In conclusion, their first device should be a low-end to ripple the waters (think Pi) and to hopefully follow up with something strong the next round. Or it should be with something high end to make a great first impression (remember how much support the Ubuntu Phone got?).

Otherwise they should've done what Cyanogen are doing; partner up with an OEM, build a decent contender, dualboot Android. Which is as difficult as it sounds.

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
How did I end up reading a thread in which people argue about Bible quotes? IRL, nobody I know has ever even read the Bible... let alone uses it to make a point in a business discussion.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Let's just stop the argue. We all have our opinions.

Just wondering about the snappydragon.
Is it possible that the display is detachable like in this pic?

Maybe thier little secret?
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ipharis For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
The Jolla specs are lukewarm only compared with android devices which gobble up any performance difference. They are very close to the high end compared to any other OS which doesn't have the overhead of a VM.

Neither WP, BB10 nor iOS is currently being shipped on a phone with more than 2 cores, BlackBerry has 2GB of ram but iOS and WP still have 1GB. And they clearly perform in the same ballpark with high-end androids. The iPhone 5 still has one of the best sunspider scores on mobile.

So it's not that they need to have a secret sauce to have high end experience on those specs. They just need to not mess it up.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
This pissing match over the specs is all beside the point, because what's really important is how the OS and apps perform on those specs, which really no one here really knows. The problem comparing to other phones is no one runs the Jolla OS right now. Even comparing it to Maemo phones is a stretch, because it isn't the same thing.

I know there is always the desire for more power, more battery life, and higher rez screens, but that has to be balanced with price. Jolla needs a phone that performs well enough to show off what their OS can do, balanced with a price people are willing to pay for it. We'll see if they have struck that balance.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheLongshot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Ipharis View Post
Let's just stop the argue. We all have our opinions.

Just wondering about the snappydragon.
Is it possible that the display is detachable like in this pic?

Maybe thier little secret?
That seems more like a detachable backplate more than anything else. Just inspect it a little closer, the screen is still attached to the phone.

I'm flattered

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
The Jolla specs are lukewarm only compared with android devices which gobble up any performance difference. They are very close to the high end compared to any other OS which doesn't have the overhead of a VM.
Although to be fair, Jolla is still having to run a VM if the app you choose is an Android app.

We don't know how that works yet. Hopefully, the times you *have* to run an Android app are few and far between so most of the time the phone is just running Sailfish and there's no Android VM running.

I wonder what these Android users who need more than 1GB of RAM are doing though? I've a Nexus 7 and apart from massive games I rarely notice apps closing down due to lack of RAM. I've done remote web development using my Nexus 7 and keeping ssh sessions open and switching between a browser/editor/ssh all seem to work great for me.... far better than iOS.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post: