I have had total USB failure on my N900. I can't even connect the USB to the computer to dump files, let alone charge the battery.

So I thought I'd get an external battery charger and,once running on a full battery again, dump files via WIFI thru RDesktop or VNC.

Then, I could send it to Nokia for their analysis and repair of the problem (yeah right...).

Anyone have an opinion on this? Also, about the USB repair? I hate to send my phone away for 10 days, with no guarantee of it being repaired at all! Generic Nolkia repair services seems suckass.

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
I have a cheap generic $1 charger from hong kong (via ebay), it works fine. It takes quite a while to charge (doesn't provide as much current as the original Nokia wall charger), but it hasn't caught fire yet so that's a plus.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Same here
Life's too short, not this message

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

I have used an external charger for months following a usb failure.

Look up the E7 n900 repair thread to avoid being sent an E7 if you send it in for repair - unless you want one.

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Have you checked my battery thread, im using a kind of external charger
Started when i blew my USB, fixed it thou.
other then that there are some good advice in the thread

Posts: 83 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Liverpool, UK
It'll be fine. I'm using one that cost me £4 or so since my USB port died. Now I can carry four spare fully charged batteries in my wallet, which sometimes last almost a WHOLE DAY in total.

Thanks for the replies. So some of you actually get by without USB at all? What about data backups and moving large files, etc?

Also, FOUR batteries,and only one day?! That's some pretty heavy usage right there. Carrying batteries in your wallet, is that adviseable? They could easily overheat and leak/explode, no?