Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
You're relatively new to Maemo, and inexperienced, though - from my (quite long) experience here
He's only been here 8 months or so less than you.
How this makes any difference as regards experience is beyond me.

I have a about a year on Estel but I couldn't say I am a years worth more "experienced".

Comparing people like this is asking for trouble/argument IMO.

Since I have now spoken in a "Council related rant thread" I will poke my "on topic" ore in only once.

These long ranty threads are getting annoying, but more importantly they don't get much done.

While I am up for a debate the "ranty" topics go round and round in circles and very often turn nasty.

They are also putting many people off the whole community, including new and old.
People who have valid things to say are keeping silent so not to start an argument or fuel one.
I wouldn't be surprised if these threads caused the lack of willing BoD and CC applicants.

This is not what an open source "community" is about.
Sort it out! Now! Please.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
What is the problem here exactly? Maybe I can solve it with my 2009 experience ?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
How this makes any difference as regards experience is beyond me.
It's a valid question, and I'm quick to answer:

What I was referring to (and tried to highlight it) is fact, that if You don't sort out problematic things early, they're becoming worse with time. For 1.5 year, we had discussions about need for establishing non-profit entity, but many were afraid to even discuss about it - then, here we are, with struggles to do exactly same thing, but at 23:59.

Now, when we hit problems about Council's bad practices, thedead suggest to avoid discussing it, to not create problems. As I suppose he doesn't remember discussions about non-profit, avoided for same reasons, I politely mentioned it. I'm absolutely certain, that avoiding discussions about Council/BoD practices now, will result in huge problems in a month or two.
---

While I absolutely understand dislike for "rant" threads, there is more than this, here. Current Council (and soon-to-be BoD, as they have self-nominated themselves) doesn't accept any critic - even one presented in civil way, with arguments - and respond to it as offended princess, via their "face" (Chair).

At the same time, all they was able to achieve during whole cadence, was two and a half page of bylaws, and sending request for registering foundation (I hope that it got send, at last). Sure, posting automated "in effort to increase transparency" minutes from a meeting on Council's blog is improvement from what we had before, but here list of achievements ends. It is much less, than was expected from first *elected* Council in 2 years.
---

Time is running fast, so some may not remember it - just few months ago, Council's chair - Woody - was speaking, (in his usual, arrogant and authoritative way) about fellow Councilor "I have yet to decide, if it's better to try reaching shore with a weight attached to leg, or stop for a while, and drop weight, losing precious time".

Now, ironically, time to pay for this arrogance came, (unexpectedly for them, and expectedly for everyone else) - it turned out, that weight they have "dropped" was, in fact, a sail, and they have problems with recruiting crew for this sinking ship (platform? ). Of course, Council is too proud to see own mistakes, and desperately, try to make crew out of degenerades from ghost ships (our poor, orphaned by Council, and unmaintained IRC, with egomaniac as sole master and chanop), which result in explosions inside armory, and ship sinking down even faster.
---

It isn't just "Council rants" thread. It's big disappointment, that what started as much energy and enthusiasm, resulting in first real election and full-staffed Council, ends up in disaster, thanks to arrogant and irresponsible people like current Chair, and inactive/passive gray mass of other Councilors, following him to Maemo's doom. All after all, in whole history of Maemo, I have never seen anyone antagonizing Community volunteers more, than mr. woody.

I'm afraid, that there is no chance for increased Community participation, as long as Councilors want this egomaniac, to represent them. At the same time, I don't see a chance, that Council may notice, how much woody - as a chair - drive people off from being active and collaborate. They're too far away already, in their lone tower, to notice whats going on in parts of Community, where life is still pulsating. They like his auto-post, weekly stagnation of "in effort to increase transparency" more, than any living and trilling activity. No much chance for a change here...

Which leads to out sinking ship. It's just sad, where they have lead us.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-10-05 at 14:11.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
In my 5+ years here, I've never seen such behavior from former council.

Disgusting is too nice of a word. The finger pointing, wasteful. All in the midnight hour.

All to say "I'm right" and have their egos fed. Luckily, the Internet has a very short memory and these egos will soon fade once people stop searching for Maemo and this site is forgotten on even archive.org.

Meh. If it lives on or goes down in flames, I'm sure some participants in this thread, especially the most abrasive entity here in this thread, don't care. Cuddle up with those ill-gotten wares, fluff your ego once more and notice how much you could have done in the last hours instead of stating who/what has wronged you and how you perceive them.

Regardless. I'm out. Fully. Not even the opportunist in me sees a solution in this. Good luck to Jolla, good luck to Mer, good luck to the people that understand meritocracy and care less about ego and status and free stuff. Good luck to an open source phone that embraces a community that's lacking in aforesaid ego.

Sinking ship? It's all but a sunken ship.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Ban on IRC solved the problem at least there btw......

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Current Council (and soon-to-be BoD, as they have self-nominated themselves) doesn't accept any critic - even one presented in civil way, with arguments - and respond to it as offended princess, via their "face" (Chair).
This is absolutely untrue.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Yes we got that. We understand that you have differences and believe that the other side has been wrong. But please remind me, what are you arguing about?

Really, I expect an answer from both sides, less than a sentence long, to the question: What do you want to be done?

Maybe then I can form an opinion too. Because if there is an argument it's lost in the noise.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
don't feed the troll...

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Excellent Estel! Now woody will as usual take the bait and give you a long response too!
Nope... We all know who left when the going to tough... No need to repeat it. I don't have the time to waste on a reply to him.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Luckily, the Internet has a very short memory and these egos will soon fade
Sadly, you are correct. Which allows for repeats of the past to happen all too easily.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Sinking ship? It's all but a sunken ship.
No... Not yet it's not. We're moving forward. Look for your tokens in the mail soon.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
[...]

Sadly, you are correct. Which allows for repeats of the past to happen all too easily.

[...]
history doesn't repeat itself... it stutters

Tags
council