Posts: 63 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Stockholm, SW
Hi everyone..

Searched quite a bit here and thru' Google as well for this, but nothing relevant turns up.. i was able to change my device name long ago; that way,, whenever i'd connect to my computer, it'd still say "Nokia N900", but in my maemo File Manager, it'd show the name of my choice..
And this was then..

Recently, with attempting to install NITDroid, etc., i've had to re-partition my eMMC, and though i still have my custom name showing up in maemo's File Manager, on the Computer, it now shows 'Removable Drive'.

I request anyone here with the know-how to assist me to set it to the factory default where the proper name shows up.

n.b. I use the default autorun.inf, so the label is correct. I know i can set a name with label=xyz in this very autorun file, but i'd like to learn about the default mechanism.

Any help, or discussions of some application that can tweak the original device name would be greatly appreciated.

{..my apologies if this is discussed elsewhere, i've truly rigorously searched the forum and google.}

My devicevolution: Seimens C2, Nokia 6600, Nokia 3230 (red & then black), Nokia 6630 ME, Nokia N73, Nokia N900

Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
You set a custom name (afair in bt settings) which changes only bt name and internal device name for file manager.
That is a N900 system setting. And is still correct, right?

So you want the device name shown on your PC to be changed, did I understand correct?
As you formatted the eMMC, your PC recognizes this as a "new" SD/USB/removable device. Just right-click (or F2) and change in Windows Explorer, according to your wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
If you mean what it shows in the computer while you connect it in mass storage mode and if you are using windows, right click on the drive when connected, click on properties and then edit the device name (it's an edit box up at the top, in the general tab next to the drive icon). You have to use autorun.inf to change the icon.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
You set a custom name (afair in bt settings) which changes only bt name and internal device name for file manager.
That is a N900 system setting. And is still correct, right?

So you want the device name shown on your PC to be changed, did I understand correct?
As you formatted the eMMC, your PC recognizes this as a "new" SD/USB/removable device. Just right-click (or F2) and change in Windows Explorer, according to your wishes.
- Wow! Thanx!! You were sopt on - that is just the bluetooth name that shows up in File Manager. Dang! Anyway, i understand that i can change this very easily from Windoze Explorer, but there must've been some setting in the device itself that made the PC recognize it as Nokia N900.
..i dunno if i am conveying my question sufficiently well here.

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
If you mean what it shows in the computer while you connect it in mass storage mode and if you are using windows, right click on the drive when connected, click on properties and then edit the device name (it's an edit box up at the top, in the general tab next to the drive icon). You have to use autorun.inf to change the icon.
Thank you!!
I know this, as i've typed above.. in Explorer, there is that irritating problem of all CAPS device naming. I am looking for something within the device actually.

..great ideas guys! Thank you..

My devicevolution: Seimens C2, Nokia 6600, Nokia 3230 (red & then black), Nokia 6630 ME, Nokia N73, Nokia N900

Not sure about that, but:
the device name is set on installing the specific driver the first time (first time plugged your N900 to PC).
After flashing you "created a new/different device", so the PC does not see the original ID and give it a new name, but the driver was already installed; so the standard (removable device) was used.

relative sure:
Just go ahead and change in Win Explorer, there is no internal settings in N900 for the name shown on PC. At least nothing you can/should modify (it may be inside the first (the boot) sector of the first partition).

--
it is in
*)���KNokia N900 FAT32 ¾┬≠¬"À├

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2012-01-06 at 00:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Not sure about that, but:
the device name is set on installing the specific driver the first time (first time plugged your N900 to PC).
After flashing you "created a new/different device", so the PC does not see the original ID and give it a new name, but the driver was already installed; so the standard (removable device) was used.

relative sure:
Just go ahead and change in Win Explorer, there is no internal settings in N900 for the name shown on PC. At least nothing you can/should modify (it may be inside the first (the boot) sector of the first partition).
- I agree with you, this sounds logical..
So, i've gotten a full-CAPS "NOKIA N900" displaying in my devices in the PC now, i think, i can rename it to have lowercase letters from Ubuntu, etc.
Will report on it.

On Ubuntu you may change it, but then its only shown under Ubuntu.

But Win also encourages you to use non CAPS device names. Just make sure to not rename form UPPER directly to Upper, but rename twice; like UPPER - UpperCASE - Upper. This should work ...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Actually, it does not work at all for me in Windoze.
To be clear, i am on a x64 Win7 system, i've no idea why this irritating problem persists.

Yaaaanyway.. on to better pursuits. :]
Thanx!

Posts: 196 | Thanked: 113 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
There is a file called "autorun.inf" in the MyDocs folder that has the drive icon filename and the device name. It might be hidden.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zas For This Useful Post:
Yea!
That i knew.. i have resorted to adding a line in it:

Code:
label=<desired name>
..worx well!
Thank you.