Notices

Originally Posted by CepiPerez View Post
You are talking like it's like a big problem

Wazapp, like official whatsapp application, just send the phone numbers, JUST THE NUMBERS, without name, mail address and everything else you have stored in your phone.
Then whatsapp server replies you wich of them has registered in their server.

What can they do to you or your contacts getting just the number?
The same they can do just making random numbers!
It's insane!
As an app, do what you have to do, but disclose what you're going to be doing so people can make informed decisions.

Otherwise it's a slippery slope. Here, it's "just the number", the next app claims "oh, it's just emails" or "oh, it's just names" ... Where do you draw the line?

My contacts are private data and at least I want to be informed before anyone grabs those out of my phone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mämo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 704 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Johannesburg - South Africa
Originally Posted by mämo View Post
As an app, do what you have to do, but disclose what you're going to be doing so people can make informed decisions.

Otherwise it's a slippery slope. Here, it's "just the number", the next app claims "oh, it's just emails" or "oh, it's just names" ... Where do you draw the line?

My contacts are private data and at least I want to be informed before anyone grabs those out of my phone.
Damn where did this guy come from?? CIA?? Just don't use it if U don't feel safe..... Their data base should have millions of numbers stored, how will they snif which numbers belong to whom??

Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Yea, this is not cool.

At the very least, you need to tell people what the app is doing with my private data, where it sends it and give me some reassurance as to how it's going to be used ... before I run the app.

I mean, since this is a 3rd-party app, I don't even know whether my address book goes straight to Whatsapp or gets routed through a relay where the app author gets his hands on all Wazapp user data. I'm not saying that's what tgalal does, but without digging through source code or sniffing traffic I have no way of confirming and as a regular user, I don't have the knowledge to do that.

I understand this is beta, but perhaps a warning during installation and a privacy policy on the website would be a good idea?

Apparently none of my contacts use Whatsapp anyway, so I'm going to delete it. I'm sure the people who gave me their phone numbers would also prefer me not spreading them to unknown places.
He doesn't do that. tgalal couldn't care less about the numbers you have stored in your phone.

He just wanted a working whatsapp client on the N950.

Stop freaking out, you're just becoming annoying.

I understand your concern, but it's a price you pay to use the app.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,023 | Thanked: 4,421 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Argentina
This app doesn't get the name of the contact
What can they do with the number?
And maybe you don't know, but your friends phone numbers already exists in whatsapp database for sure, and that's the reason you want wazapp.
Or you want to use this app just to talk with yourself?
CallBlocker for Harmattan

Support my work:
Paypal / Bitcoin

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CepiPerez For This Useful Post:
Yea, this is not cool.

At the very least, you need to tell people what the app is doing with my private data, where it sends it and give me some reassurance as to how it's going to be used ... before I run the app.

I mean, since this is a 3rd-party app, I don't even know whether my address book goes straight to Whatsapp or gets routed through a relay where the app author gets his hands on all Wazapp user data. I'm not saying that's what tgalal does, but without digging through source code or sniffing traffic I have no way of confirming and as a regular user, I don't have the knowledge to do that.

I understand this is beta, but perhaps a warning during installation and a privacy policy on the website would be a good idea?

Apparently none of my contacts use Whatsapp anyway, so I'm going to delete it. I'm sure the people who gave me their phone numbers would also prefer me not spreading them to unknown places.
Honestly, your points are completely unrelated to this thread.

Go to WhatsApp directly and moan at them, also your reasons are pretty stupid.

Peoples numbers and more can be obtained through other methods which is why we all get the stupid cold calls from salesmen. All this does is a comparison of numbers, random pieces of binary.

Take your non relevance to a place where it is wanted, your issue is with how WhatsApp works, nothing to do with Wazapp!

If you don't like it, don't use it, simple as. Then again, you should also not use ANY online service as information about you and your contacts can be access by other services such as Twitter and Facebook..

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to godofwar424 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 24 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Brasil
O-ho, martian comrades, we're unmasked! How can we now to proceed with our invasion? What will we do now with those millions cellphone numbers we've collected from incautious people using WhatsApp or this infamous Wazapp?

Let's retire our spaceships and go back to Mars, humans are too smart. Maybe we try Venus now?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to celsorusso For This Useful Post:

You sound like you expect someone to find your girlfriend's number and call her. Sharing a number with no contact info is not dangerous at all. Even if they have the number and try to contact your provider in order to get your personal info (name, address, etc), they'd be denied.

BTW, there are millions of whatsapp and viber users sharing their numbers. Are they in any kind of danger? It's not like you share your credit card number, as was the case with Sony and Playstation Network.

Your making an elephant out of an ant in this situation.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 246 | Thanked: 2,574 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Egypt, Cairo
Yea, this is not cool.

Actually there is this nice "By registering, you agree to Whatsapp's Terms of service" that appears in almost every registration screen, and links to Whatsapp's terms of service. So actually I do tell people. So it would be your problem if you're one of those who just agrees to any terms of service without reading :P. But at least don't complain afterwards.

Last edited by tgalal; 2012-06-05 at 21:25.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to tgalal For This Useful Post:
I don't understand this app. Installed it (the original) on Symbian and WP. The only thing it did for me was to drain the battery. The only valid point about it is you can use WiFI, and that also means you drain the battery.

Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
You are talking like it's like a big problem
It's a big problem for me. I would punch all the friends that sent my phone number to a company that use the laws from California and USA and not the ones from Europe, much more restrictive with privacy data. But I don't want to lose my friends so I just blamed on them and I asked to Whatsapp Inc for removing my phone number from their databases.

Wazapp, like official whatsapp application, just send the phone numbers, JUST THE NUMBERS, without name, mail address and everything else
Are you sure that the oficial whatsapp only sends the numbers? Maybe you analyzed the protocol and you know it, I am just curious.

It also stores the conversations, sent files, and more data... That can be read in their privacy policy.

What can they do to you or your contacts getting just the number?
The same they can do just making random numbers!
It's insane!
They can associate it to text from your converasations and the contacts you have for sending publicity. Have you wondered how Whatsapp Inc. gets money if they forgive everyone of the first annual pay?

Tags
godoftool, harmattan, is-a-miracle, nokia n9, spacker_thread, tarekgalal, toddler_daycare, toolcoderus, wazapp, whatsapp