Running Conky weeks ago showed me a ~5% of cpu consumption (around 2-3% is conky itself), while now I got always ~9-10% ...

I see Xorg is running always 5-6%, so I think it's the best candidate of increased cpu consumption...

Is the same on your devices, or did I messed up something (widgets, etc..)?

Latest CSSU stable + KP50 + 250-850 default profile + SR enabled, no devel software installed.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Try to measure with top in xterm. Conky bumps xorg %cpu quite heavily Do you experience a batterydrain if not, I wouldn't worry too much of this higher cpu usage of xorg
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Note also that when the screen is off, Xorg normally use ~0% CPU

The Following User Says Thank You to Megaltariak For This Useful Post:
Well, I tried to measure using top and indeed xorg stays around 2,5%; either no noticeable battery drains, anyway I was wondering why I got 5-6% using conky not long ago

I noticed xorg using a bunch of cpu too. It never seemed to affect battery life or performances, though, so I'd just leave it be.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
That with Xorg is easily explained. Since conky or top update their display regularly, the X-server has work to do. That's what you see in the statistics: the overhead of displaying the statistics.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Well I understand both conky and top trigger xServer so there is an overhead due to statistics display...

What I don't understand is why some weeks ago this overhead in conky was around 5% total and now it's around 10%

I wanted to know if someone else noticed this difference.

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
Try to measure with top in xterm. Conky bumps xorg %cpu quite heavily
You can get an even better baseline number for Xorg's idle-state CPU usage by logging into your N900 with ssh (so that nothing is updating the device's display) and running top. When I do that, with a 5 minute update rate, I see a CPU usage of 0.0 % for Xorg.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Bulgaria
It's quite normal for Xorg to be one of the most CPU heavy processes on the phone, All GUI shits need to go throu it ..if you want to meassure the real CPU usage of Xorg when idle , do it with screen off, with 'top' from remote box. (so Xorg is not used) ....while your screen is on, Xorg will always use cpu time.
Short anwser -> 5-10% CPU usage while GUI shits are moving around (like conky for example) is quite normal.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to l4m3rx For This Useful Post: