Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I wonder if us linux fans are allergic to success... I feel that if ever something that we like becomes at least a little bit successful we start to hate it.

And you know what? It may well be that to become successful you have to abandon some of the practices that we like, like being very community based and open-only and such things. So in part I understand it. On the other hand however, with things as they are today, you can't create a community phone. You need a commercial entity to back it, closed drivers and all that jazz.

It can be done only two ways: either from companies like jolla or canonical (who try to compete by either closing down UI or using their brand power) or as a fringe project by a behemoth like Nokia and Samsung, who might pour money for the sake of RnD, and be happy with a niche, because they make tons of money elsewhere.

Neither is optimal or what we ultimately want, but in a world where linux mobile has less than 1% (android is excluded for obvious reasons) I don't think we can afford to not support all the efforts even if they are not ideal.
Thing is I am allergic about copycats. and the decission going theyr own route with MiR hurts Linux overall hard and only winner on it is Canonical. RedHat, Jolla, OpenSuse and so on loose on it and especcially when it comes to commercial apps and GFX drivers etc... that probadly will only support ubuntu in the future

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-07-22 at 19:28.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
I wonder if us linux fans are allergic to success... I feel that if ever something that we like becomes at least a little bit successful we start to hate it.
Not at all, but an Android phone with Ubuntu Mobile as an extra won't succeed in establishing Ubuntu Mobile as a new OS in the consumer market.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
What does that even mean?
He was responding to Mike's post...
Mike mistyped something so he turned that into a personal attack it seems by suggesting he's legasthenic.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-07-23 at 00:44.

jolla and ubuntu have both their strength. No device/os is best so it cool that the enduser has more to choose from. What is you issue, mike. U can handle only one OS at the time, sailfish and ubuntu and tizen helping each other as well even if you can't see it.
I'd love Ubuntu to part of that love in, alas they've clearly made a bid to control the entire FOSS graphics stack longer-term.
On the surface it doesn't look that bad, look much closer at the way the project (& licensing's) structured & it becomes clearer.
And the reasons they cited at the time for such a schism being needed have long since been thoroughly lampooned.
They have some of their own reasons (which they've since clarified further) & that's fine, they're entitled to do what they want.
But they need to get off their high horse & stop pretending Mir's mostly for altruistic reasons & the greater good, that's not what it's about at all.
Lately they seem to have been doing just that, but only when they're not on a "Jobsian" marketing drive of course...

There's been excellent & detailed discussions on all this for many mths now in threads tied to articles @Phoronix, & elsewhere.
Might be time to tune into those if you're interested in more than just Sailfish, Dave?
Tizen's a bit better overall but not by much*, & putting aside the openness Qn, it's disappointing that native is not truly central like HTML5.
It's there, but it's not "front & centre" to their overall approach, as evidenced by the fact that native dev is well supported via C++ only.

*most of the OS components get a big tick, but there's some (surprisingly) very tight restrictions when it comes to the officially mandated/supported SDK

Jolla device looks like a cheap toy compared with ubuntu edge, but sailfish like an os seems really solid.
Yeah but, that's a prototype, Jolla's already confirmed (yonks ago) that they've started pre-production, that's a BIG difference.
Admittedly, most of the images (some are renderings no doubt) indicate a ph that's pretty slick when it comes design, perhaps more so than Jolla's.
Some of that flair for marketing coming to the forefront for Canonical again, longer-term it certainly helps more than it hurts.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-07-23 at 11:14. Reason: update

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
The ubuntu edge shown in the video is not a render, it's a prototype. Look at the ubuntu sticker at the back. It's not a perfect circle, and it's not even stuck there very well.

and jalyst, please link to some of the licesing issues discussions, I'm genuinely interested.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Last edited by qwazix; 2013-07-23 at 06:30.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
The Ubuntu mobile is too cool to be true. The body is so strong, only diamonds can scratch the surface

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
The ubuntu edge shown in the video is not a render, it's a prototype. Look at the ubuntu sticker at the back. It's not a perfect circle, and it's not even stuck there very well.
My bad for not double-checking that, I based my assertion on commentary by others without double-checking things myself 1st...

and jalyst, please link to some of the licesing issues discussions, I'm genuinely interested.
Fair Qn, IIRC it's something to do with clauses in the licensing or combos (CLA etc) that gives an unfair advantage to Canonical over contributors who aren't part of Canonical.
I know that's very vague, that's why I wasn't specific in the 1st place, I've spent 15min trying to find it but so far nothing, it has been raised many times in threads @Phoronix.
Later I'll try to spend more time finding some of the discussions & link to them, in the meantime look at several of the major stories/discussions in the last few mths & see if you can find it.
I can't recall if all of it was discussed @Phoronix or mostly linked to external sources from there, but I'm pretty sure the entire crux of it has been covered there regardless.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-07-23 at 11:16.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
This campaign by Ubuntu edge gives you an idea of the number of phones jolla has sold so far. Not that many. My guess is around 5000 100Euro deals for jolla.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I know that's very vague, that's why I wasn't specific in the 1st place, I've spent 15min trying to find it but so far nothing, it has been raised many times in threads @Phoronix.
Later I'll try to spend more time finding some of the discussions...
To save you some time, there's info about it on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrib...ment#Canonical

Last edited by nodevel; 2013-07-23 at 11:18.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Can you (or anyone else) explain why it says contributors have to sign a CLA for those projects, but one of those, Mir, has a GPLv3 licence[2]?

What's the difference? Is it just Canonical exerting full control over the project, and how does that differ from other projects?

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red