Active Topics

hi

are there any difference between quality of shots due to "Carl Zeiss " lenses with N9 camera module and others 8MP with normal lenses snappers (eg Samsung galaxy SIII or Htc one X or S)?

thanks

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Edmonton Canada
Carl Zeiss is fairly well know for making very high quality glass... While this will help with image quality, it dosen't mean a Zeiss lens will produce better pictures than other cameras.

Lots of variables, but, I've always been a fan of Zeiss glass..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slashd0t For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
In case of phones they don't manufacture the glass. They only licence their name if the glass meets their quality standards. It's like a certification of some kind. Notice that the N950 teaser video has carl zeiss branding for the lens but the actual device doesn't. I doubt that they changed the glass manufacturer, they just didn't need to pay for the cerification of a dev device.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
I might be completely wrong but I think it is Carl Zeiss licensing lens designs for mobile phones, although they may produce lenses for top mobile phone cameras, in addition Nokia exclusively might use the label "Carl Zeiss"?

The Following User Says Thank You to pagis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 196 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Near St. Albans UK
I saw a video about this! its not even glass! they use plastic lenses for mobile phones!! but like you say its certified or made by Carl Zeiss!

The Following User Says Thank You to Grazy For This Useful Post:
while i haven't tried the sgs i am a fairly experinced photographer.
The common approach for compensting a low quality lens or sensor is via the in camera processing. A picture can be blurry and noisy, but a strong correction can make the average user to think the picture is "good". Oversharpening and boosting the color levels is quite common with high end cameras like canon.

having said this, i am very pleased with the n9 as my carry on camera. The pictures are sharp with lots of details and the processing is decent.
Nokia has a tradition in this regard.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to taviman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 54 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Originally Posted by Grazy View Post
I saw a video about this! its not even glass! they use plastic lenses for mobile phones!! but like you say its certified or made by Carl Zeiss!
Yes but acrylic is actually more transparent than glass so its better for a lens and it can be mass produced more cheaply

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LaLlamaQueLlama For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I think the first phones with carl zeiss branding were sonyerricssons and cybershot se's had that branding until recently, but I may be wrong. Lg had schneider-kreuznach branding (spelling may be inaccurate)

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 196 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Near St. Albans UK
Originally Posted by LaLlamaQueLlama View Post
Yes but acrylic is actually more transparent than glass so its better for a lens and it can be mass produced more cheaply
I'm not saying its a bad thing! I heard they also have to place the lens a lot closer to the sensor than you would in a normal camera!

The Following User Says Thank You to Grazy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I think the first phones with carl zeiss branding were sonyerricssons and cybershot se's had that branding until recently, but I may be wrong. Lg had schneider-kreuznach branding (spelling may be inaccurate)
It's accurate. There's also Schott glass.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post: