Hi!

I've bought N9 with cosmetic defects and now am thinking to purchase a replacement housing and screen/digitizer.
The questions are:

1. Are replacement screens sold on ebay (from China) AMOLED or TFT LCD?
2. Are replacement housings (this white one, for example) of decent quality?

I'm not asking about exact items, but in general. If anyone ordered similar parts, what was your experience?

Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to Flickta For This Useful Post:
1. AMOLED, I don't think TFT would work with the N9. Check to make sure on the listing though if it's AMOLED.
2. Yes, they are usually of decent quality, most of the time they are housings that didn't quite make it through Nokia's rigorous quality tests.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to byteninja2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by byteninja2 View Post
1. AMOLED, I don't think TFT would work with the N9. Check to make sure on the listing though if it's AMOLED.
The problem here is most of them don't say AMOLED, and those that do usually don't have the metal frame (I don't want to pry it from the old screen as it would require using the heat and some considerable force). There are those "original" screens for the price of a 2/3 of a new N9, but I'd rather buy a new phone then.
And having a screen without any scratches, but of a low quality, and with possibly worse battery life...

I think all of them are Amoled even though they don't say so. There are no LCD's for the N9 and it would not work with the LPM screen.

Earlier this week I changed housing from blue to white and also put on a new screen at the same time. I bought one of those white housings from Ebay seller in Chine and the screen I bought from the UK with the metal frame. Got it all for $50.

The screen is 100% original no difference. I also got one with better screen quality than my old one as it had shifts in the colors from top to bottom. This one is pretty much perfect.

The housing is about 95% perfect. Nothing weird except that last night when I used the LED as flashlight in the dark the housing was somewhat transparent and you could see light come through it at places. Minor thing and isn't really never noticeable unless dark conditions and using flashlight.

I say go for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x_5dHQoVZo

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dannejanne For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=12

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dannejanne View Post
Earlier this week I changed housing from blue to white and also put on a new screen at the same time. I bought one of those white housings from Ebay seller in Chine and the screen I bought from the UK with the metal frame. Got it all for $50.
Awesome! Looking great!
Could you send me a link to the sellers' pages on ebay? PM or reply.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Flickta View Post
Awesome! Looking great!
Could you send me a link to the sellers' pages on ebay? PM or reply.

Thanks!
Housing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380623547234...84.m1497.l2649

The seller of the screen unfortunately raised the price from GBP 19 to GBP 125.99 (!!) right after I had bought it. So you better find another one. The one you linked here though looks exactly the same.

The Following User Says Thank You to dannejanne For This Useful Post:
Thanks a lot, guys!

Ordered, now will wait and see what I get :) Must say that N9 is absolutely fantastic.
Hard to justify the purchase as I'm tied (not without pleasure) with the Apple ecosystem, but once I read more about N9, I just couldn't resist.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flickta For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Flickta View Post
Thanks a lot, guys!

Ordered, now will wait and see what I get Must say that N9 is absolutely fantastic.
Hard to justify the purchase as I'm tied (not without pleasure) with the Apple ecosystem, but once I read more about N9, I just couldn't resist.
It's the most fun phone ever to use in my opinion and I have been through many phones the last two years including phones from Android, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, iOS and MeeGo in my chase after the best phone for me.

I have an iPhone 5 too but using the N9 as my daily driver even though it has it quirks you have to learn to deal with. It's just that satisfying to swipe away an app to the multitasking list for example.

Damn Elop I want to kick him in the nuts.

The Following User Says Thank You to dannejanne For This Useful Post:
Posts: 131 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ India
anyone here knows where I can get proximity sensor for N9? It seems to have broken due to frequent opening of screen.

The Following User Says Thank You to suyog For This Useful Post: