Active Topics

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by nonikhanna View Post
i noticed the whole screen lights up, slightly but it still lights up.
Can't understand why; AMOLED's do not have a backlight

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
I have tried many times to see that screen is ON when in LPM, but for me it is OFF. I go to completely dark room, place my finger over LPM clock so my eyes get more sensitive, but still screen is completely black for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to zlatko For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
i have to add that i too did a similar test to zlatko above and really the screen is off... There is NO backlight on the AMOLED...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I have to disagree here, even though I know that there is no backlight and I didn't expect this to happen, but in a dark room the screen is slightly lit, as it was on the i8910. Probably some current needs to pass through the tft matrix to reach the lit pixels and makes the led's glow slightly.

I can make a photo of it too if you like, later.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Originally Posted by stratax View Post
yes, it does. but even though the whole screen looks like it is off it is slightly on.. go into a pitch black room with it on and you can kind of notice the whole screen is lit, just a tad.
No it's not. It is completely off except the text on the standby screen.

You can tell that it turns off "a second time" when locking the phone. First it gets black, then it turns off even more quickly after that.

If you look at the text on the standby scren you can see that it's jagged. Not smooth and anti-aliased. That's because the screen is completely turned off around the text. That's the magic they use in LPM.

If you have the phone unlocked and look at a black background there will always be a very weak light coming from it that you can see in a pitch black room easily.

The Following User Says Thank You to dannejanne For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Sounds like it may be your phone, as I get the same results in the dark as zlatko and thedead1440.

>Probably some current needs to pass through the tft matrix
One of the benefits of TFT is its resistance to crosstalk ...

Posts: 178 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Austria
I always have standbyscreen enabled, in combination with Billboard.
Really outstanding feature on N9. don't know how much battery it uses, have no problem.

But would like to have it integrated in powersave mode
PSM on = stanbyscreen off, like it's on N8 for example.

Maybe they didn't implement it in PSM cause battery usage is really low, so no need for that?

But a way to quick switch on/off would be great.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
yes, it does. but even though the whole screen looks like it is off it is slightly on.. go into a pitch black room with it on and you can kind of notice the whole screen is lit, just a tad.
Only happens when looking at it at an angle. It's probably related to light spreading around in the screen's glass.

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 186 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Toronto-Canada
yes, it does. but even though the whole screen looks like it is off it is slightly on.. go into a pitch black room with it on and you can kind of notice the whole screen is lit, just a tad...
No, it is not.

Tested it in my studio's Dark Room -- the N9 is 'invisible'.

No light passes thru the screen.
The screen is not lit, period.

It's another matter that u can 'observe' the AMOLED between the black bezel when the studio's IR is on... but that's b'coz it's a 'LCD screen' while the bezel is (probably) 'black plastic'.

Qorax

The Following User Says Thank You to qorax For This Useful Post:
then there must be something wrong with my phone, i know a lot of you have heard of/seen the blobs that are very common in amoled screens by samsung/nokia/etc, when i have my standby screen turned on, i can see the annoying blobs in certain lighting conditions and it bothers me, maybe its just me having OCD lol.

I still think the whole "double tap" feature to unlock your phone is one of the best features as well, ive never seen a phone do that.

and back on the whole screen thing, when im on the multitask screen and it says "nothing is open", i can see the blobs very well, whenever its on standby i barely can.

Last edited by stratax; 2012-08-16 at 04:24.