Notices

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Ok, version 1.1.30 is now making its way up to extras-devel, with mostly fixes to the intervalometer. I think what may have been happening is that I didn't have enough of a delay between the simulated button press and the simulated button release. (Then again, it could just be that Qt timers just aren't reliable when you lock the screen. I'm probably going to have to do some more homework here.)

Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
Well you can pretty much let that button out if the delay with the intervalometer is implemented. As it has an hardcoded delay of 2 seconds, a delay for the intervalometer for 1 exposure would do the same only much more flexible.
Well, I've done both -- I've put the hardcoded delay feature back onto the "Camera" panel, and added a configurable initial pause to the Intervalometer panel.

I managed to crash the lirc server thingy.

Code:
Failed to connect to /dev/lirc0
Error is Device or resource busy
This has happened in the past when Pierogi's control thread gets swamped with command requests, and ends up becoming a zombie process in the background. I thought I had all that fixed, but odds are that playing with the intervalometer is causing that to happen again. (It shouldn't be anything to do with the vip1853 keyset...)

...the rest of all my IR controlled system are much easier to be controlled and I don't have to do crazy yoga poses to get it change channel.
Hmm. I've gotta admit, I'm running out of ideas. I think I'm now reproducing exactly the same signal that worked for the hifi-remotes guys. I have been finding some other odd results from people trying to control the vip1853/1903 with universal remotes, though...

But you are now using STB and Set-Top Box terms both, samsung has the term Set-Top Box all other manufacturers have the term STB.
Ah, you are absolutely right! I've changed everything to STB in the current release. Hopefully everybody will understand what STB stands for.

Your tabbutton already reminds me of the "new tab" button of my browser, why not allow the user to create a panel with tabs to user liking.

For consistency sake and keeping pierogi as a single style remote we should keep the tabs in everysituation the same, however the mix of which tabs should be configurable.
Hmm. That sounds like it'd be easier to do than setting up entire custom layouts of buttons. Let me look into it...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 56 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ Netherlands, Flevoland
I'm using Pierogi for second time now,and figured out how it works, very nice.
But I'm missing some devices.
Could you at;
JVC RX-816R reciever (jvc device in the list is missing some buttons)
Pioneer PD-S601 CD player(tried a couple of other devices from the list,none works)
I know these device are ancient, but they still work great

Thanks!!

Copernicus,
Using multiple keysets is exactly the thing I want to avoid, for the obvious reason controlling with n900 should be not harder than via remote. Thanks for the answer, though, and good luck with further development of your great application.

Last edited by FlashInTheNight86; 2014-03-30 at 19:45.

Originally Posted by Hansie_k View Post
But I'm missing some devices.
Could you at;
JVC RX-816R reciever (jvc device in the list is missing some buttons)
Pioneer PD-S601 CD player(tried a couple of other devices from the list,none works)
Ah, this is going to be tough! I can't seem to find any config files specific to these devices... I will try to beef up the JVC and Pioneer audio keyset lists a bit, hopefully a similar machine will have a keyset that works for you.

You also might try the "Automated Keyset Search" feature; you may be able to find some keysets that work, even if they are labeled for other brands.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by FlashInTheNight86 View Post
Using multiple keysets is exactly the thing I want to avoid, for the obvious reason controlling with n900 should be not harder than via remote.
Hmm -- looking at the picture, I had guessed that you were using that remote's 3-position slide switch. All that switch does is change the internal keyset being used by the remote control. Using the volume-rocker switch on the N900 to change keysets is pretty much the same thing.

I guess what I should really be asking, is exactly what are you looking for here: are you looking for a full-featured universal remote control that can work with many devices, or do you want to create a new customized remote control that works with just these three devices?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Ok, version 1.1.30 is now making its way up to extras-devel, with mostly fixes to the intervalometer. I think what may have been happening is that I didn't have enough of a delay between the simulated button press and the simulated button release. (Then again, it could just be that Qt timers just aren't reliable when you lock the screen. I'm probably going to have to do some more homework here.)
Well, I've done both -- I've put the hardcoded delay feature back onto the "Camera" panel, and added a configurable initial pause to the Intervalometer panel.
This has happened in the past when Pierogi's control thread gets swamped with command requests, and ends up becoming a zombie process in the background. I thought I had all that fixed, but odds are that playing with the intervalometer is causing that to happen again. (It shouldn't be anything to do with the vip1853 keyset...)

What happened is that every pierogi stalled sending commands, after trying the not on my samsung TV not on my receiver then indeed I tried the camera but not with the intervalometer but just the openshutter command and it gave me that message...

Oh and about the unlocking thing, unlocked/locked doesn't actually matter I think. For now it seems it does what it wants, sometimes shoot like it's a Machine Gun, sometime acting like a sniper as it should... I don't know, I am reading me into MagicLantern to see if I want that on my camera (:
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Hmm -- looking at the picture, I had guessed that you were using that remote's 3-position slide switch. All that switch does is change the internal keyset being used by the remote control. Using the volume-rocker switch on the N900 to change keysets is pretty much the same thing.
That switch changes some of controls, to be exact. And it is the same thing as long as keysets contains not only those buttons that differ but also main ones, which are switch-independent and pointed with red.
I guess what I should really be asking, is exactly what are you looking for here: are you looking for a full-featured universal remote control that can work with many devices, or do you want to create a new customized remote control that works with just these three devices?
To be absolutely honest, I would like to create an universal remote for my particular devices at first, and then, after interface is polished, make it available to work with other devices. The ultimate goal is to create something like a frontend for your great app to control most used features of PC+TV+Audio all-in-one remote, with switching between audio, video, and maybe ir mouse control mode, which I don't use but seems quite reasonable... But I'm not quite sure I'm able to. Just in case I coded in Delphi and ASM ONLY. Still worth a try if you support the idea, though.

The Following User Says Thank You to FlashInTheNight86 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
What happened is that every pierogi stalled sending commands, after trying the not on my samsung TV not on my receiver then indeed I tried the camera but not with the intervalometer but just the openshutter command and it gave me that message...
Yeah, what happened in the past was that a Pierogi run would go bad, and it wouldn't clean up after itself when it exited. Then, when you open a fresh copy of Pierogi, it had to fight with the ghost of the previous one for access to the hardware. I thought I had fixed all that long ago; if this update is causing it again, I'll probably have to back out some of the code...

I am reading me into MagicLantern to see if I want that on my camera (:
It does look very cool. Also, it seems to run off the removable memory card, without modifying any of the software inside the camera itself; so that provides some level of protection.

Originally Posted by FlashInTheNight86 View Post
That switch changes some of controls, to be exact. And it is the same thing as long as keysets contains not only those buttons that differ but also main ones, which are switch-independent and pointed with red.
So, the key here is that you'd prefer one bank of buttons that stay constant, along with another bank of buttons that are switchable. Hmm.

I would have guessed that it would be easier to, say, map the arrow keys onto some of the lower buttons on the remote, rather than overload those five buttons near the top. Are you using those five keys for Eventghost because you aren't using them for your other devices?

To be absolutely honest, I would like to create an universal remote for my particular devices at first, and then, after interface is polished, make it available to work with other devices.
I thoroughly concur with this sentiment! I've gotta say, though, that this is exactly how Pierogi came into existence.

There has been a lot of talk in the past about creating alternative front-ends to Pierogi, and I would certainly like to see that happen, but I've never managed to really clean up the back-end enough yet to make it available as a separate library. Another project I really need to get done someday...

But I'm not quite sure I'm able to. Just in case I coded in Delphi and ASM ONLY. Still worth a try if you support the idea, though.
Yes, I absolutely support the idea. The Pierogi back-end, even if I manage to turn it into a library, might still be a little heavyweight for your immediate needs, though. You might try starting out with a straight-up front end to the LIRC server; several other remote control apps work that way. But yeah, the most popular languages for coding on the N900 appear to be C/C++ and Python, so that's something you might want to check into as well.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
I would have guessed that it would be easier to, say, map the arrow keys onto some of the lower buttons on the remote, rather than overload those five buttons near the top. Are you using those five keys for Eventghost because you aren't using them for your other devices?
I am overloading 6 VCR buttons (with the switch it is up to 18 effective buttons) because other buttons are used already. It's an audio system remote, remember?

However, those audio system control buttons are absolutely useless, at least for me - the only one I use is audio system on/off. Even volume, I control either from notebook section (when listening to music), either from TV section (when HDMI is enabled, notebook volume is set to max automatically).

And the useless buttons kinda annoy me, even though the different layouts for listening to music and for video playback proved to be very comfortable over time.

I think it should be mentioned that I'm not considering wi-fi as an option since my devices are old but slightly better than many new ones on the market and guess I'm not alone in such situation.

Also, it's inconvenient and ineffective (eats too much battery) to control pc over wi-fi and other devices over ir when you just want to turn on audio player or watch a movie; IMO it should be all ir or wi-fi, not both, and ir is better if available.

Last edited by FlashInTheNight86; 2014-03-30 at 22:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to FlashInTheNight86 For This Useful Post:

Tags
infrared, pasta, remote, remote control