Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Regarding few entries in the Location and Navigation category - I think it can be caused by most of the navigation apps being quite mature and joining in the Updates category ?

Well, at least I'll be definately joining Updates with modRana (and Mieru).

Last edited by MartinK; 2012-07-11 at 14:19.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Regarding few entries in the Location and Navigation category - I think it can be caused by most of the navigation apps being quite mature and joining in the Updates category ?
I think so too. There doesn't seem to be much new development happening in this area, mainly improvements and ongoing updates to existing applications. Folks seem happy enough with what is already out there, there's some excellent location and navigation applications already so I don't blame them Speaking of which...

Well, at least I'll be definately joining Updates with modRana (and Mieru).
I thought you might Welcome welcome!

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
This is a competition and strategy is inherent part of it. I'd say if categories are to be changed, change them now if felipe is ok with that and everyone will be happy. If some people tomorrow enter in the L&C category with high hopes and with the increased incentive of less competition (which will be justified as those applications have a certain level of difficulty) they won't be so happy to forfeit their chances.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 722 | Thanked: 1,223 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ USA
After reading the posts I am with kojacker and qwazix. It is probably a good idea to get over with it and just reorganize the categories now. At least, at this point nobody can complain for getting lower chances to win... a lot will get better chances with this change.

Felipe

My maemo work:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
WakeOnLan - wake computers on your local network.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network
dbBrowser: Simple application to browse sqlite databases

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to fcrochik For This Useful Post:
I would like to enter Saera in the competition - where do I do that? The wiki page is somewhat unclear on the subject.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Thanks all for the feedback on the category change - keep it coming, mulling everything over in my head..

Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
I would like to enter Saera in the competition - where do I do that? The wiki page is somewhat unclear on the subject.
Didn't you add it already taixzo? It's 14th on the list of participants in the wiki lol Nearer the closing date there'll be a proper entry mechanism, in the meantime the wiki is the place to register. So you're all good

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Thanks all for the feedback on the category change - keep it coming, mulling everything over in my head..

Didn't you add it already taixzo? It's 14th on the list of participants in the wiki lol Nearer the closing date there'll be a proper entry mechanism, in the meantime the wiki is the place to register. So you're all good
Ok, I did put it there but wasn't sure whether that was "official". Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Now we have two apps in 'Location & Navigation' category, but 'meeTfL' was already released in march 2012, so it is not eligible here. If this is just an update he should move it to 'update' category.

The Following User Says Thank You to swinkels For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by swinkels View Post
Now we have two apps in 'Location & Navigation' category, but 'meeTfL' was already released in march 2012, so it is not eligible here. If this is just an update he should move it to 'update' category.
Well spotted swinkels I noticed it myself when I clicked on the link and seen reviews from March.. I think it must have been a genuine misunderstanding of the rule. I've removed the entry for the moment and sent a pm to rash.m2k

Hi Rashad, thanks for registering with the coding competition

I have some bad news about meeTfl I'm afraid - because it was released before the competition started it can't go into the "Location & Navigation" category. That's a category for new applications only. However there is an updates category maybe you wanted it to go into instead? The category is called "Updates and development on existing apps" and is for applications with significant updates during the competition time frame. You can see more on the wiki.

I've removed the meeTfl entry from the table for now, please feel free to add it back for the updates category if it's eligible

Also, because you have released an application before the competition started, you wouldn't count as a beginner. Even if it's your first time with Qt/C++ backend So I updated your TBD entry to a 'N' for beginner. I hope you'll understand it's really for people with their first experiences of developing and releasing applications.

If you're ever unsure about anything in the wiki (http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo.org_coding_competition_2012) please feel free to ask in the dicussion thread http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83761

Thanks and best wishes,
@adityamhatre - you're currently listed down with a massive 8 applications - 7 as beginner and 1 as non-beginner. Can you check that for me? You should be either one or the other. Also, I'm picturing you as a one man app factory.. 8!! Remember quality and quantity, I'm interested to see how many you finish

Oh and btw something had gone a bit iffy with the table, I think the closing tag wasn't edited right and it ended up towards the bottom of the wiki page. I've fixed it back now. If it happens when you edit it and you're not sure how to fix it just leave a note here

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Idea for the competition: Low power snake game for harmattan. If you make a black overlay widget like those used for video playback (direct playback to framebuffer) then whatever you print to the framebuffer shows through any black area, and also the low power screen. Thus it would be possible to make games for the lock screen like space invaders or snake, controlled with accelerometer.

I won't have time to play with this idea so anybody that finds it interesting can take it on.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:

Tags
happy new year, mcc2012, merry christmas