Active Topics

Hi All,
I'm late to the party and wondered if someone could bring me up to speed on installing the final version of the opera browser I found here:
http://repository.maemo.org/extras/p...ablo/non-free/

My N810 is telling me I'm missing some required stuff, including Glib-C etc. Is there an easy way to grab what I need so I can try out the browser?

Thanks and apologies if this has been covered, I did try a search first.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
did you try downloading the deb or apt-get? Apt-get I suppose would take care of the required dependencies

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

I don't know how to form the apt-get command. I did try the installer route, but that wouldn't work because the package no longer exists on the opera dev team server.

Sorry to be such a noob.

Posts: 302 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ England
"sudo apt-get install opera-mobile"

I think this is what you need (: tell us the output

Originally Posted by Captwheeto View Post
"sudo apt-get install opera-mobile"

I think this is what you need (: tell us the output
Thanks, here's the output:

3 incorrect password attempts

Lol: I bought this unit secondhand, and never thought about passwords until now. )

I think it was factory reset when i got it, so is there a default PW? Or would the system have forced me to give a password on setup, which was so long ago I've forgotten it...

sudo won't work with the default configuration. See http://wiki.maemo.org/Root for ways of getting root access, or use the application manager.

Thanks, I installed rootsh via your llink. Now I just need to find it so I can launch it!

OK, I ran gainroot and ran a whoami command and have root. So I tried the apt-get install opera-mobile command and it failed because once again it it trying to get the package from opera.com where it has been removed. apt-get recommended updating the packages list so I ran the update command which hung while trying to connect to gizmoproject.com, which seems to be zombied.

Is there a way to manually update the packages list to get apt-get to go to the opera-mobile package on the maemo server? Or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks for replies so far, and apologies for all the dumb questions.

Posts: 637 | Thanked: 445 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kaliningrad, Russia
just type root in terminal and you will got a root privileges.
then do apt-get install opera-mobile

Thanks, I'd worked that out and tried the apt-get again, but it still fails because it's looking for the package on the opera server, which has gone. I tried updating the sources list but that process hangs when connecting to a zombied site. My earlier reply is awaiting moderation.

Could I manually edit the sources list? Is there a better way?