Active Topics

Hi. I recently installed the flashlight app to use the camera leds. I wasn't hugely impressed and uninstalled the app using app manager. Since then I no longer start the camera app when opening the lens cover, The is a total pain as I use the camera a lot and I now have to unlock the device before being able to start the app. I have rebooted and removed the battery to no avail. This has only happened since I installed flashlight. How can I get the old functionality back? Reasonably new to the environment so please be gentle! Cheers

Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
you can try reinstalling the camera app

start x term (you need rootsh installed)

type "root" hit enter

then type "apt-get install --reinstall camera-ui=1.1.29.1+0m5" hit enter

Do not use this if you have CSSU installed please post back which version stable or testing

Thank you for your reply. sorry my turnaround is slow - work and family to negotiate before the nitty gritty. have imstalled shroot. haven't installed cssu and app manager makes no mention of it. not sure what versions you are refering to.using maemo 5 as supplied with phone. am i ready to rock and roll with the reinstall?

Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY

Ok. Have reinstalled camera and have noticed something odd that may be new or may have been happening before without me noticing. camera starts when cover is opened OR shut but apparently only if the screen is unlocked AND it will only happen once per reboot - even that can be a bit random. Also this does not apply solely to the camera app. Quicklaunch will only respond once per reboot if I switch that on. It is as if whatever monitors the lens cover gets one shot then commits suicide. Any ideas welcome.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Coimbatore, India
Originally Posted by Mike Fila View Post
you can try reinstalling the camera app

start x term (you need rootsh installed)

type "root" hit enter

then type "apt-get install --reinstall camera-ui=1.1.29.1+0m5" hit enter

Do not use this if you have CSSU installed please post back which version stable or testing
Hope I too have a similar prob... Now my camera is totally not in operation. whenever i open the lens cover or i try to initialise the camera either thru camera key or thru menu, it says "Operation Failed".

I tried reinstalling the camera. But when i enter "apt-get install -reinstall camera-ui=1.1.29.1+0m5" I get the following error:
BusyBox v1.10.2 (Debian 3:1.10.2.legal-1osso30+0m5) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

-sh: /home/user/.bashrc: line 5: cannot create /dev/cgroup/cpu/user/3807/tasks: nonexistent directory
-sh: /home/user/.bashrc: line 5: cannot create /dev/cgroup/cpu/user/3807/notify_on_release: nonexistent directory
~ $ root

BusyBox v1.10.2 (Debian 3:1.10.2.legal-1osso30+0m5) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

Nokia-N900:~# apt-get install -reinstall camera-ui=1.1.29.1+0m5
E: Command line option 'r' [from -reinstall] is not known.
Nokia-N900:~# apt-get install -reinstall camera-ui=1.1.29.1+0m5
E: Command line option 'r' [from -reinstall] is not known.
Nokia-N900:~#

Pl help :-(

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
you are missing a dash. Check the snippet above (--reinstall instead of -reinstall)

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Coimbatore, India
thanks qwazix. i reinstalled. but the prob persists. it says operation failed. Pl help :-/

The Following User Says Thank You to bharathkumarst For This Useful Post:
I think my problem is quite different. My camera app appears to work fine. The fault I am experiencing seems to be due to whatever monitors the lens cap possibly failing to do that. Yours seems to be due to a stuffed camera app. You may get more help on a more appropriately titled thread?
Does anyone know what monitors the lens cap? Presumably the camera app doesn't or quicklaunch wouldn't get called or do thecamera andquicklaunch compete to see who gets there first?!

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 531 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ The Netherlands
In the past I have seen mentions about the magnet near the camera. The N900 reacts to the position of the magnet to see whether the camera is open.

Is quicklaunch the app that allows you to use the buttons as shortcuts to apps? I uninstalled something like that a year ago after experiencing similar problems. You may try uninstalling it.

These days I rarely experience problems with the activation of the camera. After the latest update for example when geocaching. Then it appeared the Assisted GPS needed another supl url, and things went back to normal. This problem made the N900 very slow, and my guess was the camera didn't get enough attention any more.