Active Topics

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
^ What a load of bull.

The projects not gonna make it, he's skimpy about it cause its a publicity stunt. You have to be an idiot to not realize.
I agree, but that's why I bought one/pledged/whatever you'll call it. I don't expect I'll part with my money, but I'm happy to participate.

The Following User Says Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
If it fails you get your money back. The funds are being held in escrow account. If the phone/computer gets funded you get a butt kicking phone...da.

Last edited by heavyt; 2013-08-14 at 15:25.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Define "fails".

"We have achieved the fundraising goal but encountered some technical difficulties. We have to delay the launch till... err.. Q4/2023. Your money will be held in the escrow account until then."

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Define "fails".

"We have achieved the fundraising goal but encountered some technical difficulties. We have to delay the launch till... err.. Q4/2023. Your money will be held in the escrow account until then."
Silly boy made me laugh

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heavyt For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by bjv View Post
What we need is an Intel/Linux Haswell based mobile. I've been unable to find any MHL transmitter packages with the bandwidth to do more than 1080p@60Hz, and that just kind of seems limited/lowest common denominator.

As soon as Edge is in my hand, i'd still be looking for an enthusiast, converged device that could drive 2560x1440 at least
I would first like to be able to actually purchase a pc monitor around 24" capable of that resolution without having to sell a kidney. Right now everything from 5" to 80" is 1080p
This has become ridiculous. People don't yet care to search for hi-res monitors because the hype didn't get there yet, and as such the manufacturers are still charging too much for them.

I'm tired of the obsessions of a few tech reviewers: ppi was nothing that was mentioned and reviewers even panned some laptops with higher ppi for displaying things too small, instead of teaching the users how to crank up the dpi scaling in Windows. Back in 2006 the N95 had half the ppi of the N93. The reason we still don't have decent 200+ ppi screens is reviews. Same story with the processor (N96 lost one processor and the GPU to the N95). Then there's the obsession with thinness (one reviewer called the 12mm thickness of the 1020 "abysmal") which has resulted to either flimsy tinfoil-thick battery covers or loss of battery swap/μSD.

There are things that are long overdue like PC ppi and others that are beaten to death like phone ppi. 441 is a ridiculous value, and frankly I tried much to distinguish a GS3 screen from a GS4 and I couldn't. On the other hand, color reproduction would be way better if they didn't go number whoring and chose to go for 720p RGB instead of 1080 pentile (much less subpixels and thus easier to produce).

Sorry for the big rant, but I think it's a bit relevant as the edge wasn't a phone that looked liked whoring for the latest buzz-features, and rather tried to make an own statement.

Sad it won't probably make it.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 35 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North America
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
24" capable of that resolution without having to sell a kidney

...beaten to death like phone ppi... distinguish a GS3 screen from a GS4 and I couldn't.
yeah, asking for 24" is what's leaving you with premium/niche prices.

price on 27" 2560x1440 has really come down, with good sub 400usd options commonplace, with different mfgs, features, warranty,etc. Not being able to distinguish does speak to the fact there is eventually an upper limit on ppi which does start to be an issue at 24"

the bigger issue is the software, though .. Microsoft just recently improved their dpi-scaling and the Android interface is what largely prevents you from *using* the extra res or seeing the G3/G4 difference.

Obviously, that doesnt really apply to us on the linux desktop.
But it does mean we're now seeing more affordable higher res displays thanks to mainstream desktop improvements and lots of 200+dpi panel mfg processes left over from the phone rush.
However, i think we're still going to see continued duality with a majority of 1080 devices for people with minimal computing needs but a strong resurgance of better displays for people who code, prepare significant documents, or generally bump up against the vertical limitations of 16:9 aspect.

but what i'm trying to say, though.. is Haswell/intel Linux mobile :drool::drool::drool:

Even SPD/volt limited to 4.5 watts Haswell seems unrealisticly power-hungry but.. Canonical did promise the fastest available chip not a timid Cortex-A12. If they announced a Haswell/amd64 mobile you can bet those last 20k backers/9days would come shooting out of the woodwork as soon as the press caught wind.

Last edited by bjv; 2013-08-14 at 21:15. Reason: n900/opera mobile (terrible text-field handling)

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I would first like to be able to actually purchase a pc monitor around 24" capable of that resolution without having to sell a kidney. Right now everything from 5" to 80" is 1080p
This has become ridiculous. People don't yet care to search for hi-res monitors because the hype didn't get there yet, and as such the manufacturers are still charging too much for them.

I'm tired of the obsessions of a few tech reviewers: ppi was nothing that was mentioned and reviewers even panned some laptops with higher ppi for displaying things too small, instead of teaching the users how to crank up the dpi scaling in Windows. Back in 2006 the N95 had half the ppi of the N93. The reason we still don't have decent 200+ ppi screens is reviews. Same story with the processor (N96 lost one processor and the GPU to the N95). Then there's the obsession with thinness (one reviewer called the 12mm thickness of the 1020 "abysmal") which has resulted to either flimsy tinfoil-thick battery covers or loss of battery swap/μSD.

There are things that are long overdue like PC ppi and others that are beaten to death like phone ppi. 441 is a ridiculous value, and frankly I tried much to distinguish a GS3 screen from a GS4 and I couldn't. On the other hand, color reproduction would be way better if they didn't go number whoring and chose to go for 720p RGB instead of 1080 pentile (much less subpixels and thus easier to produce).

Sorry for the big rant, but I think it's a bit relevant as the edge wasn't a phone that looked liked whoring for the latest buzz-features, and rather tried to make an own statement.

Sad it won't probably make it.
Wowzer, you know your history.
If Sammy releases the NOTE 3 with the same dimensions as the NOTE 2 but expands the screen, to lets say 5.7inch.

And instead of adopting 1080p, they use a 720p screen with RGB subpixels and much better performance in terms of colour accuracy.

They'd get criticized too, for the "lowly" 257 ppi screen. I would infact prefer it over a screen such as the S4's. There's no real advantage of stepping up to 1080p.... yet.

However staying in 720p means less overhead, means less cpu/gpu intensive, means (slightly)faster response, (slightly)better battery life. And solving the subpixel would alleviate the checkered-banding "issue" and boosting brightness and colour reproductivity would make the screen look actually better.

I'm flattered

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 35 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North America
actually, I dont mind the banding/pen-tile grid on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus that much.. only happens with a handful of colours and only on very low brightness

From a mobile-display perspective I would much more prefer:
1) improved direct-sunlight performance. N810 was amazing, but so low-res/grainy from digitizer
2) less narrow display, 16:9 is just uncomfortable in *either* orientation .. this is what really bugs me about the Edge

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
@kangal exactly! And that's why the Note 2 still has the best screen there is.

@bjv I don't mind pentile either and it was indeed the best choice when subpixels couldn't be made small enough to reach 200+ dpi with RGB, but now, you don't really get enough advantage by going 400+ dpi.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
A new world record is beaten for crowdfunding. Ubuntu edge now has the record for biggest amount ever collected on the Web. Well done!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post: