Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
I'm not all that convinced that the keeping of Hildon would've changed anything for Nokia. I mean after all, like they said it looked and felt outdated by the time the iPod came out. Typical to Nokia, it was a bit too feature heavy (aka "geeky") for mass adoption.

Anyone know why Maemo5's UI is titled Hildon, though? Out of respect?

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

I think its the same thing, they said hildon is not an interface, its a platform.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
It likely took many of the ideas and ported them to GTK. If one ignore the sidebar for instance, there is a very big similarity in layout between Maemo Hildon and Symbian Hildon.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by cjp View Post
I'm not all that convinced that the keeping of Hildon would've changed anything for Nokia. I mean after all, like they said it looked and felt outdated by the time the iPod came out. Typical to Nokia, it was a bit too feature heavy (aka "geeky") for mass adoption.

Anyone know why Maemo5's UI is titled Hildon, though? Out of respect?
see the screenshots I posted a page back. They cover hildon-desktop on Symbian and 3 Maemo iterations (not 5, that one doesn't look so much the same but it is just a redesign) You'll see the similarities

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
It was a breakthrough for the time to be able to skin the whole system, but it's really easy today to disguise a linux distro as, well, everything
And that's the problem with *nix GUIs, not confident enough to stand on their own feet and ending up imitating something inferior instead. Not just today either, remember things like fvwm95 or even further back when they killed Open Look in favour of the Windows 3 look-alike Motif :-(

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
see the screenshots I posted a page back. They cover hildon-desktop on Symbian and 3 Maemo iterations (not 5, that one doesn't look so much the same but it is just a redesign) You'll see the similarities
In some ways (no taskbar, flat-scrolly-icon-grid launcher, and of course it's a phone again) 5 was closer to the Symbian version than what came inbetween.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Wow, I was filled with utter confusion/anger/despair as I read that article.
The parallels w/what happened to the N900 & to-some-extent the N9, were eerily similar to this.
The kitten sacrifices must begin again......

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-12-18 at 08:36.