Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Mate chill......
The minute someone mentions what you perceive to be the slightest affront to my-meego, you're there to counter.
Not to counter, but to explain and express my point of view... Who else is supposed to do it if not the site owner?

And let's not exaggerate that I do it "every minute". If you check my profile here on TMO:

http://talk.maemo.org/search.php?searchid=11904041

you'll find 8 posts in total since 2010 or so (i.e. 5 if we don't count this thread), and just ONE of them of a nature similar to this discussion, i.e. regarding my site's content and design. Also on forum.meego.com I remember having just ONE discussion of this kind (and also with you). So I guess it's more precise to say that I do it "twice a year" than "every minute".

It'd be great it you guys could just collaborate, it was discussed earlier on, but I think it was agreed it isn't feasible.
When asked on forum.meego.com if our sites could cooperate, I answered "sure, why not?" but n9-apps.com owner said that "at this point there's no further plans on this" so I guess it does not depend on me.

Best regards,
Michal Jerz
http://My-MeeGo.com

Last edited by My-Maemo.com; 2011-11-29 at 23:19.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to My-Maemo.com For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by My-Maemo.com View Post
Not to counter, but to explain and express my point of view... Who else is supposed to do it if not the site owner?
And let's not exaggerate that I do it "every minute". If you check my profile here on TMO
Well every time I've seen you quoted or your site referenced, I've seen you pop-up.
I don't know if you have more than one acct or not, but it's no exaggeration, that's what I've observed.
But yes, you are well within your right to do so...

Just try to do it with less of a "But I'm better than n9-apps!" angle. You don't want to be bitter rivals.
If anything it's best that each of you play to your strengths, & remain complimentary.

When asked on forum.meego.com if our sites could cooperate, I answered "sure, why not?" but n9-apps.com owner said that "at this point there's no further plans on this" so I guess it does not depend on me.
Yes it was a shame that some sort of union couldn't be established.
I really thought you guys would compliment one another perfectly.
And it was good of you to extend your hand that way....
Maybe Mikael will have a change of heart one-day, makes sense to have one mega site.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-12-01 at 15:49.

Well every time I've seen you quoted or your site referenced, I've seen you pop-up.

I don't know if you have more than one acct or not, but it's no exaggeration, that's what I've observed.
But yes, you are well within your right to do so...

Just try to do it with less of a "But I'm better than n9-apps!" angle. You don't want to be bitter rivals.

No, I do not have more than one account per forum.

Therefore, as I wrote, "every time" actually means "two times", which you can easily check by browsing my post statistics.

The n9-apps.com owner also posted in this thread (and actually every other thread you mentioned) and expressed his views about his site numerous times, yet you don't seem to have any problem with that.

I can't see anything wrong in participating in a discussion related to my website or commenting on an opinion about it. If you had a website or application and someone was referring to it, I bet you'd want to express your point of view, just like me. I don't see anything unusual with that.

I also don't think that pointing out my website's features (and saying that I consider them useful and important for this kind of content) means at the same time bashing other websites, which lack those features and call them a "feature-bloat". It's their free choice, and so is mine.

If any information about my website I wrote is untrue, please point it out. Otherwise, what's wrong in stating facts?

As I wrote, when I was asked on FMC if collaboration between the sites is possible, I answered "yes, sure" while the owner of the other site said he has no plans for it (links for referrence available in my previous post). I do not have any problem with that, but is it really me to whom suggestions so that the sites don't rival each other should be addressed?

Anyway, I just asked what do you mean by "slicker" and listed some features that IMHO make my site useful and easy to use, while confirming that the design is indeed quite dated. Was it really something so unusual that it had to result in a debate like this (that no one else seems to be interested in, BTW)?

Let's move on to some more interesting topics.

Cheers,
Michal Jerz

Last edited by My-Maemo.com; 2011-12-04 at 16:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to My-Maemo.com For This Useful Post:
I don't care. You're reading waaay to much into my posts.
Good job, good luck, & happy collaborating, would be good IMO.
But either way both sites are great....

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-12-04 at 21:45.

jalyst,

I wrote many times that the more Harmattan sites the better for the platform. And that's what I think. I do not mind that other sites exist, I wish them well, and I do not treat them as rivals/competitors. I really don't know how to stress it even more. Please see my reply to Mikael in this very thread.

I am still open to collaboration, not only with n9-apps but with any other Harmattan site, e.g. apps.formeego.org. But no other site ever contacted me regarding this, and as My-MeeGo.com is a Google PR4 site with 4000+ unique visits daily and the remaining sites have lower PR and traffic (for example, n9-apps and apps.formeego.org are PR2 at the moment), I guess the initiative should be on their side as it would be them who'd benefit from even just link exchange. So I'm waiting with open hands for others to contact me and discuss possible cooperation, it's just that no one does. Some owners of other Harmattan sites at some point even unlisted/unfollowed my Twitter account, apparently not to promote My-MeeGo.

Please also note that both my Harmattan Software Catalog and Downloads do include e.g. the AppsForMeeGo client, TMO forum client, FMC forum client etc., which I think is the best proof that I really do not mind supporting other Harmattan sites/resources. But in contrast to this, you won't find any other Harmattan site linking to mine, even though it is currently the biggest index of N9 software and one of the most frequently visited Harmattan sites, i.e. IMHO something worth informing N9/N950 users about.

And this raises the question of who actually rivals who.

Best regards,
Michal Jerz

I've already said that's cool I believe you, no need to stress anything.

I'm not so sure if apps.formeego.org should really be considered a rival, same for TMO/FMC.
The fact that they don't list you, I'm not sure, maybe because they're generally intended to be the source.*

The only other site doing a similar kind of thing with Maemo/MeeMo that I'm aware of, is N9-apps.
As-to-why they don't list you, I don't know, do you list them...

Anyway who cares, so no-one wants collaborate yet, maybe that will change in the future, maybe it won't.
It's nice to know that one of the parties, is genuinely interested in investigating it at this early stage.

*Sure there may be instances where a dev's based entirely at my-meego or started there 1st.
And the former's generally not ideal when it comes to sites like my-meego or n9-apps IMO.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-12-05 at 15:28.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
My humble opinion is each of the sites do the job intended by the respective owners very well. I will most probably land at my-meego after a search for something, but will probably go to N9Apps on my phone for a quick glance to what is happening in the application space.

Peace guys, and if you ask me I wouldn't like your efforts merged. Of course collaboration will help (all of us), but I am not sure merger will.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
I'm not so sure if apps.formeego.org should really be considered a rival, same for TMO/FMC.
I guess you misunderstood me. I said that I do *not* consider any other Harmattan site/resource a rival, and that's why I list (and offer for download) the AppsForMeeGo, TMO and FMC clients (i.e. all that exist at the moment). Which IMHO shows that my intention is to promote the entire Harmattan ecosystem, and not just my own website.

N9-apps. As-to-why they don't list you, I don't know
They don't list AppsForMeeGo, TMO or FMC clients, either, so I'm not the only one :-)

do you list them...
No, because I was told that they have no plans for collaboration, and that's after I wrote that I'm open for it. So they don't seem to be interested in link exchange. And it is usually the younger site with lower traffic/rank that initiates such a link exchange as it is that site who benefits from it.

Anyway, it's not a problem for me at all. Once again, I only wanted to know what you meant by "slicker" and to let people here know about the features of my website. I wish n9-app.com well and it's their free choice how they run the site. Not my business. It's just that the discussion (as usually on the forums) went in a different direction.

Best regards,
Michal Jerz

totally understood!

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands
Is there some way that we can put the software sites in somekind of repositry so we can download the software from a app?

Or is there already one, I didn't found one yet.