Active Topics

Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
What would be really interesting is if there is any relationship between the announcement and the news that Amazon is in the midst of developing a handset targeted at competing with iOS and Android.

If there was ever an opportunity for a MeeGo based OS to gain traction, it would be on the back of an existing "ecosystem" like Amazon's market....

Food for thought
I would be very glad with this.

But then again, why would Amazon trade an existing ecosystem, with apps already developed, installed user base, just for a new and unknown system?

It is not like they already modified Android to the point of irrecognition.

Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
It would be funny if Jolla has business relationship with Nokia... if Nokia does, then why not just let Jolla use Harmattan??
Maybe they have, but if I was going to make a new smartphone based on Mer/MeeGo, I wouldn't do it on Harmattan, even if I absolutely love it on my N9. If new product is announced this year, possibly in Q4, it would be "old" by then. It wouldn't make sense to convert Harmattan from what really was Maemo 6 to MeeGo, because frankly, I believe they were already working on next big thing after Harmattan which would have been based on true MeeGo. Ilmatar was the code name if I remember correct... IMO that would be closer guess if Nokia was kind enough to let Jolla LTD have that IP.

The project sounds in some way like Maemo 5: more open, but less commercial apps (I assume this is a given for now). I truly hope the company is not only targeting geek audience, but doubt how they are going to market the device to more general public without major commercial services available. For N9, at least there are some commercial ones like Skype and Nokia Map available...
Possibly, if there are no business ties to Nokia to tap into their existing apps. I guess Nokia wouldn't mind some extra bucks from Drive and Maps... also apps built on Qt should be easy to convert, so it's not that hopeless, even if this is likely to be a small niche product.

Last edited by JulmaHerra; 2012-07-08 at 11:52.

qt5, so that opens the possibility of shipping with wayland.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
How about asking them if they are interested to help with funding our infra now that Nokia seems to be walking away? Which sane startup doesn't want to start with an enthusiastic community in place?

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
How about asking them if they are interested to help with funding our infra now that Nokia seems to be walking away? Which sane startup doesn't want to start with an enthusiastic community in place?
This is possibly the best idea on TMO on the last few months.

Better yet, they are a real company, which is to say that it is reputable enough to receive donations towards this goal. People may be wary to donate to a forum member, but to a company? And a company that is committed to a very likeable product?

I hope this happens.

Too few details yet, to even try "jumping" under their wings. First, lets stabilize us under our own wings - then, if Jolla succeed into providing something for our "target" user, we may discuss it

Also, it seems that pairing with Mer would be much closer for them.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Very good idea!

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Too few details yet, to even try "jumping" under their wings. First, lets stabilize us under our own wings - then, if Jolla succeed into providing something for our "target" user, we may discuss it

/Estel
And an excellent response.

I agree with Estel that we should not be so quick to throw our eggs into their basket yet. BUT... Maybe one of the very awesome council members in their official capacity could send a nice congratulatory email on behalf of TMO?
Just to let them know we are rooting for them and to help open up any dialogue for any (possible) future discussions, of course.

Even if we do choose to fend for ourselves, it would still be a nice gesture from the unofficial birth place of Mer anyway

Last edited by MINKIN2; 2012-07-08 at 12:49.

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Veitshöchheim, Germany
i will get a jolla !

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by Estel View Post

/Estel
No, no jumping under their wings. I carefully chose the words help with funding our infra. Don't get me wrong.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Right now I think we all have to cool down a bit

Seriously there is "to much" positive feeds about Jolla atm.

But as we all know there are plenty of question to get answered before we can say what direction this is going.

I mean we doesnt know anything about what device they will come up with? Is it a geekdevice is it big commersial smartphone? Do they have a store? How much will be open and so on? Will they have a community site or will they "take over" Maemo or possible meego.com? Who is investors in the company? Who will make the devices? Where will it be released and so on....

So cool down a bit or else we may be angry cause it was not as expected

However as stskeeps already has said somewhere in this thread:
Atm I think this is the way to go until we knows more about the company.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2012-07-08 at 14:24.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla