Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
That's not my understanding.
I do not mind admitting that I could be wrong; however it offers you two options. Dismiss or Set Reminder. There is the "Find Flights and More" option but even turning this one setting off, Cortana service(s) are still aware of those events; just search for that day of your plans and it will pop up still despite you turning that option off.

Feel free to prove otherwise.

Edit: Adding some clarification of what we had tested. Feel free to add your notes.

Originally Posted by Microsoft
To turn off Cortana’s ability to track flight information, packages, or other things, go to Cortana > Notebook > Settings, and then, under Find flights and more, turn the Detect tracking info, such as flights, in messages on my device setting off.
Internally, we had somebody do the following. Then forwarded an email to themselves with their pending flight (future plans)... and it was on their calendar. Thinking back, we will have to test the possibility that he did have his calendar synchronized as a possible way this could have appeared. However, on my own personal device and testing device - which is not synchronized with my calendars, if I search for the date for my upcoming travel plans, it shows up. I just have to search for that day.

Last edited by gerbick; 2016-01-26 at 19:45.

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I do not mind admitting that I could be wrong; however it offers you two options. Dismiss or Set Reminder. There is the "Find Flights and More" option but even turning this one setting off, Cortana service(s) are still aware of those events; just search for that day of your plans and it will pop up still despite you turning that option off.

Feel free to prove otherwise.

Edit: Adding some clarification of what we had tested. Feel free to add your notes.

Internally, we had somebody do the following. Then forwarded an email to themselves with their pending flight (future plans)... and it was on their calendar. Thinking back, we will have to test the possibility that he did have his calendar synchronized as a possible way this could have appeared. However, on my own personal device and testing device - which is not synchronized with my calendars, if I search for the date for my upcoming travel plans, it shows up. I just have to search for that day.
Turning off tracking for a particular event will stop Cortana from notifying you proactively, but Cortana will keep access to information from your communications. To completely turn off Cortana’s capability to track flights, packages and other information from your messages, go to Cortana > Notebook > Settings, then, under Find flights and more, turn the Detect tracking info, such as flights, in messages on my device setting Off.
This is detailed under 'Can I control what data Cortana collects' on http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...na-privacy-faq

The Following User Says Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Yes. I know where it came from... even stated that it was quoted from Microsoft.

I do think that I'm still asking a question that's yet to be answered. Even turning that off, the dates/travel still shows in the calendar. The problem is deeper than just Cortana.

So far, you've yet to share a method to avoid it - and I'm slowly proving that turning it off doesn't really help the user.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Sorry, hadn't seen your edit when I posted my reply.

Originally Posted by strongm View Post
Sorry, hadn't seen your edit when I posted my reply.
Yep. Take notice of this statement from Microsoft:

Cortana will keep access to information from your communications
That part states that Cortana will still have access, thus Microsoft will have access, to any/all information and you're simply dismissing the notifications and not disabling/stopping the collection of that information.

That's my original point wherein there's no way to turn that "feature" off and in latter versions of Windows, that service collects even more information and now extends into your calendar (current) and reminders (current/future) and to your mobile and contacts (future). That data will remain to be collected.

That will fuel a lot of paranoia unfortunately.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Dunno if this one has been posted already, but a new Windows 10 feature to me: the Cortana AI Assistant will now (by default) scan through your e-mail messages in order to remind you of any commitments you have. Wow, I certainly feel more secure now that Microsoft can read all my mail...

http://www.computerworld.com/article...re-itbwcw.html
Isn't that the same thing as Apple does with dates in e-mails, or tomorrow evening and makers it clickable to make an event in Calendar?
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
That part states that Cortana will still have access, thus Microsoft will have access, to any/all information and you're simply dismissing the notifications and not disabling/stopping the collection of that information.
Not quite sure that - in context - that's quite how I read it, but I can see how it might be seen that way. Need to find something definitive, I guess.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
Isn't that the same thing as Apple does with dates in e-mails, or tomorrow evening and makers it clickable to make an event in Calendar?
Hmm, dunno; I've never used Apple e-mail, but instead Thunderbird. But, two things:

1) Cortana is not an e-mail program; thus, I suspect it would try to search your mail regardless of what e-mail client you use.

2) Cortana is one of the new breed of "AI" programs that operates off of a centralized server rather than on your local computer. Therefore, any and all of the data it collects can and will be sent to Microsoft for processing. (Apple may do this with Siri as well, but I don't have an Apple phone to check, and Siri hasn't yet been pushed to OS X.)

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
1) Cortana is not an e-mail program; thus, I suspect it would try to search your mail regardless of what e-mail client you use.
Currently, according to Microsoft documentation, it only works with the Modern mail app that ships with the OS. Having said that, I can only assume that a future goal is that it'll work with alternative email clients.

The Following User Says Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
I do not use Apple and do not know what they do with emails but if I understand the above correctly, that is not the same thing at all. The above sounds similar to what many email clients have been doing for years - search for certain patterns in the email text and if they find something that looks like a URL, highlight it and make it clickable. Many phones do the same thing in SMS - highlight things that look like URLs or phone numbers.

There are two major differences between that and what Cortana does:
1) User interaction is required. You need to click on the highlighted bit. Cortana does the job for you.
2) Both the search and your response remain local to the device, unless you choose otherwise (e.g. by syncing your calendar). Cortana does it through a Microsoft server somewhere.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
aaand it's gone, ka-blammo!, readtheninstall, windows 10