PDA

View Full Version : What woud you realistically like to see in the N900?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

KristianW
2009-04-27, 23:51
As to 1):
n810 + original usb cable + double female usb adapter +
my silicone fullsize keyboard works great.
Just go into the control panel
and configure Bluetooth Keyboard to Generic 105-key PC.

EDIT .
Forgot to mention :
Run usbcontrol and set Host mode
before connecting usb keyboard.

2) and 3) also on my wish list.

mullf
2009-04-28, 00:03
It takes money to make money.

johnkzin
2009-04-28, 00:33
As to 1):
n810 + original usb cable + double female usb adapter

So, then, a female USB to male microUSB cable should in fact work fine? (or, in my case, I think miniUSB male to microUSB male might be what I need, since the port on the matthias is a miniUSB)

Or, perhaps, instead of double female USB, a female USB to male miniUSB adapter would allow the N810's original cable to plug into the matthias keyboard.

Either way, though, that still leaves open the need for the large display, and larger resolution on that display.

theflew
2009-04-28, 01:59
So, then, a female USB to male microUSB cable should in fact work fine? (or, in my case, I think miniUSB male to microUSB male might be what I need, since the port on the matthias is a miniUSB)

Or, perhaps, instead of double female USB, a female USB to male miniUSB adapter would allow the N810's original cable to plug into the matthias keyboard.

Either way, though, that still leaves open the need for the large display, and larger resolution on that display.

I just purchased one of these a few months ago:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Micro-USB-Host-Cable-for-Nokia-N810-OTG-on-the-go-N-810_W0QQitemZ250410714591QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPDA_Ac cessories?hash=item250410714591&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

neatojones
2009-04-28, 02:25
goodluckwiththat

OMAP3 has better powersaving and a faster CPU, so it's going to spend less time on and doing work and more time idle for the same tasks, but the SoC isn't the only thing using power, and if you expect the screen run for 10 hours on a 1500mAh battery, you're not being realistic.
Which is why I keep hoping (though seriously doubt) the N900 will have OLED. I'd gladly pay the extra for the thinner device with longer battery life (due to less consumption by the screen during use). Besides, OLED's are really starting to drop in price for smaller screens. OLEDs may not have the longest lifespan, but consider how long it will take before they'll be outdated and tossed aside anyway.

KristianW
2009-04-28, 02:43
@ johnkzin

Sorry, forgot to mention :
Run usbcontrol and set Host mode
before connecting usb keyboard,

GeneralAntilles
2009-04-28, 02:46
Which is why I keep hoping (though seriously doubt) the N900 will have OLED. I'd gladly pay the extra for the thinner device with longer battery life (due to less consumption by the screen during use). Besides, OLED's are really starting to drop in price for smaller screens. OLEDs may not have the longest lifespan, but consider how long it will take before they'll be outdated and tossed aside anyway.

The Sony part is a transflective display.

neatojones
2009-04-28, 03:12
The Sony part is a transflective display.
Thanks for dashing my dreams...:p

odius
2009-04-30, 10:12
solar panels covering the back / face

F1shb0ne
2009-04-30, 12:06
At a bare minimum Nokia needs to do:

1. Faster CPU
2. A2DP
3. 1024x600
4. USB host mode

Jaffa
2009-04-30, 12:36
At a bare minimum Nokia needs to do:

1. Faster CPU

Yes.

2. A2DP

Yes.

3. 1024x600

No.

4. USB host mode

Probably (since we've already got it, I hope they don't take it away on new hardware)

Capt'n Corrupt
2009-04-30, 12:53
D-Pad on the device face please!

As a person that often uses the tablet with the keypad closed, I miss having access to the d-pad and the menu key! It is especially inconvenient with one handed operation (which should be easier with the coming accelerometer and auto-rotating screen).

YARR!
}:^)~
TheloneusCapt'n

Jeffgrado
2009-04-30, 13:52
Although there probably will not be a compass, why not add all sorts of sensors? The Nokia research teams have always been talking about sensors in mobile devices and how they can help larger scale surveys or services. Placing tempature, compass, and barometer sensors in an open source device could lead to some great experiments. I don't know how that would change the overall cost, but it would be alot of fun!

Capt'n Corrupt
2009-04-30, 14:05
The N97 has a compass AFAIK, so I don't think it's completely out of the question for the N900.

YARR!
NortherlyCapt'n

johnkzin
2009-04-30, 14:14
I don't agree about 1024x600. 800x480 is just fine. Don't fix what isn't broken.

A2DP? I don't consider the NIT to be my PMP, so I don't care about that at all (one way nor the other). So it's not on my minimums.

And, the NIT already has USB Host (OTG can switch to Host, IIRC). What it needs there is just an easier selector for the different modes, and judging by the bug/feature tracker ticket activity on that issue, I am expecting we'll see that in 5.0.

My minimums for the N900 (and thus the hardware, not the software): HSPA (got it), lots more storage and RAM, and charge via USB client. More CPU would be good, but it's not a "requirement" for me. If I thought there was any hope for it, I'd put in "Dpad on the face" as a requirement, but I have a feeling that "requirement" would mean I'd never be able to buy another NIT in my life. It would also be exceptionally nice to have a 5 row keyboard that has good solid ergonomics (the E71 has amazingly good feel in this regard, I hope the NIT team was able to learn that from them). No more hitting the symbol key in order to get numbers. If the HSPA does all 4 groups (euro, asian, AT&T/NAM, and T-Mobile-USA), that'd be a wet dream.

On the software side, I do hope that Maemo 5.0 will bring us a SyncML client for calendar and contacts. Before Sept. I wasn't a big Google Apps user, so I never really looked into it with the NIT, but I do hope that 5.0's browser has good solid non-mobile version support for Google Mail, Calendar, Reader, and Voice. It'd also be nice if it does well with Google Docs. I say "non-mobile" because one of my annoyances with the G1 is that it's all the mobile versions of those apps, which lack some key features. I'm also hoping that the built-in support for the other IM/Chat protocols (general Jabber, Yahoo, AIM, MSN, and maybe IRC) will be nice and solid by 5.0, as well as solid SIP support.

If I had all of that, even without the Dpad on the face, I'd have a very hard time choosing between the N900 and my G1. If it has both the Dpad on the face, and the full UMTS/HSPA capability, that'd be outstanding.

rx7vt
2009-04-30, 14:54
I'm new to this forum and to the 810, but I've been doing Linux in various ways for years - especially embedded and cross-compiled applications. Aside from maintaining the open source and coolness factors, what I really want is something slightly different than the current 810.

I read a LOT - all sorts of things. I want a handheld device optimized for reading. I think that means a physically larger screen. There's a huge gap between phone-sized deices like the 810 and even the smaller laptops.

My ideal would be something more like the Kindle - about the size of a small paperback book, but with a glorious color screen, comfortable leather binding, and the ability to browse the net and run all my favorite Linux apps. WiFi, Bluetooth, USB, and compact flash/SD are necessary. GPS, FM, and accelerometers are all good. Full bluetooth cellphone control would be good, as well as the ability to act as the handset for my home phone and act as a full-function IR remote.

I don't care about fitting it in my pocket, but I want it to be exquisitely comfortable to hold, look at, and use. The paperback book seems to be close to the ergonomic optimum.

I've been waiting years for this, but no one has made me happy yet :-(

Capt'n Corrupt
2009-04-30, 15:49
@johnkin
I agree with you that the NIT is nearly perfect.

I personally would like to see A2DP. Many computers can handle it, so why not the NIT as well (pocketable computer)? Besides, it's mainly a software problem so it should be easy enough to support.

@rx7vt
I can understand your request for such a device. There are a whole slew of netbook variants (including tablets) on the horizon that may give you what you want. Many of them will run an ARM processor and as such should have comparable life compared to the NITs, albeit in a larger form factor.

Also, Nokia seems to be getting into the Netbook game. I'm not sure what their play is, but perhaps they'll enter into the market with a little ingenuity and provide something similar.

I think I would be very interested in a larger tablet device (mainly for inking and as a thin client), but I'd like to keep the NIT as a pocket-able unit.

YARR!
NetCapt'n

Jaffa
2009-04-30, 15:52
I personally would like to see A2DP. Many computers can handle it, so why not the NIT as well

Hmm, how we love to repeat ourselves. See above; A2DP is supported in fremantle (#667 (https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=667)).

daperl
2009-04-30, 17:12
I've been waiting years for this, but no one has made me happy yet :-(

I'm with ya. After I was done printing Bruce Sterling's "The Hacker Crackdown, law and disorder on the electronic frontier" I naively thought, "This might be the year." That was 1994. And a year or so after that I purchased a few PDF's and thought, "Now this has to be the year." I gave up over a decade ago. But 1994 was about the first year that linux has been on my desktop in one form or another.

GeneralAntilles
2009-04-30, 19:18
Probably (since we've already got it, I hope they don't take it away on new hardware)

Well, the USB transceiver (ISP1204/ISP1207) was mentioned in the beta kernel and it seems to support OTG.

johnkzin
2009-04-30, 19:42
@johnkin
I agree with you that the NIT is nearly perfect.

I wouldn't go THAT far. But I think wrt to the 4 things that I was replying to (faster CPU, A2DP, 1024x600, USB Host), they're either covered (USB Host), I don't care either way (faster CPU and A2DP), or they're of questionable value (1024x600).

Also, Nokia seems to be getting into the Netbook game. I'm not sure what their play is, but perhaps they'll enter into the market with a little ingenuity and provide something similar.

I think I would be very interested in a larger tablet device (mainly for inking and as a thin client), but I'd like to keep the NIT as a pocket-able unit.

It's still just a rumor ... but it's a rumor that isn't going away. And it's a rumor that I hope is true. I'd love to have a Maemo/Mer device in the middle-range (between pocketable and laptop). I'd personally like something like either:

1) Convertible Tablet Netbook (7" or 9" screen),
2) the Touchbook (in both keyboard and keyboardless config)
3) MAYBE like the HTC Shift (which is sort of like a giant N97/TouchPro2/AT&T-Tilt)
4) MAYBE fully physically keyboardless, if and only if, you can get a full 80x24 terminal window, with full size thumb keyboard, when you're in portrait mode ... and have a decent size VNC viewer window while also having that full size thumb keyboard up, when in portrait mode.

But definitely not like the HTC Advantage (seems to fragile to me), and also not a plain "mini-laptop" netbook that has no tablet capability (not even with a touch screen; I hate the Raon Everun Digital Note, which his a mini-laptop type netbook, with touch screen... pointless IMO).

Larger screen, screen rotation, a keyboard that you can actually type on (not just thumb type, though 7" would be a little cramped), can be used like a tablet, has video out (mini-DVI-I or mini-Apple Display Port), easy USB Host in, and optional internal 3G and/or 4G (either via internal USB, or via PCI Express Mini, or since it's Nokia, maybe on the motherboard).

rx7vt
2009-05-01, 01:11
Wow - I'm not the only one looking for a midsized unit. I've been thinking about this a LONG time. I really want the core unit to be perfect for reading and browsing - comfortable to hold, spectacular resolution, and big enough to avoid eyestrain. A bluetooth keyboard would be a fine solution for those times when you want to use it as a computer. Maybe even provide a charging stand that holds it at the right angle for use as a monitor.

A paperback book has an effective 'screen size' of around 6.5" diagonal. If you could maintain the resolution of the NIT screen and stretch it to that size, it would be around 1024x768 at least. That's not workstation class, but it would be adequate for no-compromise reading and web browsing.

By the way - I'm keeping my 810 in any event. The tiny size is great.

Texrat
2009-05-06, 12:53
It's [Nokia netbooks] still just a rumor ... but it's a rumor that isn't going away. And it's a rumor that I hope is true.

Not just a rumor. I drove by the manufacturing facility and it is a-buzzing. I've also responded to job postings for the netbook production. ;)

speculatrix
2009-05-06, 17:30
Not just a rumor. I drove by the manufacturing facility and it is a-buzzing. I've also responded to job postings for the netbook production. ;)

hmm, interesting that Nokia manufacture the tablets in USA. Do they not also manufacture in, say, China, Taiwan or Eastern Europe? Perhaps because they're relatively expensive "lifestyle" devices made in smaller numbers there's insufficient cost savings to send manufacture to China to make millions of them?

Texrat
2009-05-06, 17:43
hmm, interesting that Nokia manufacture the tablets in USA. Do they not also manufacture in, say, China, Taiwan or Eastern Europe? Perhaps because they're relatively expensive "lifestyle" devices made in smaller numbers there's insufficient cost savings to send manufacture to China to make millions of them?

The word "manufacture" is used very loosely these days. For example, the tablets start in Asia (Korea last time I checked) and are final-assembled in Mexico (used to be US before our factory shut down). So I'm sure the netbooks will experience something similar. Final "assembly" in the US could be something as basic as loading location-specific software or applying other value dictated by a US-based partner/customer...

johnkzin
2009-05-06, 18:26

... DUDE!! Details!?

size?
format (convertible tablet? regular clamshell?)
Maemo or something else?

Texrat
2009-05-06, 19:08
Those details I don't have. I only know the wheels are in motion.

Oh, and Nokia has recently listed jobs with the word "netbook" prominent in the description. The jobs I applied for are with the partner, Q-Edge (division of Foxconn).

mullf
2009-05-06, 23:49
Those details I don't have.

But will it have a stylus? :p

Texrat
2009-05-07, 02:52
another damned detail...

johnkzin
2009-05-07, 03:26
What about timeline for when it's gonna ship? :-) (probably not, but had to ask)

Texrat
2009-05-07, 06:34
No clue.

But if I got hired on there... nah, I'd have to go back to "hee hee hee".

zyondurex
2009-05-10, 06:12
N900, how about it being something like the pandora.
not saying design wise but more of its functionality.
much better cam, least 3 mega pixel
easy to connect usb devices without adapter.
one of those ssd 8-16 gb

easy to install your favorite linux
ethernet port.
good use of a 3d chip
600-800 mhz would be pretty sweet.

oled screen maybe? I heard those are good.

around 4.8 inch screen
and of course better resolution.

ZyonDurex,
Zyon city, Planet Durex

totololo
2009-05-10, 11:20
What would I see in the next NIT ?

- Better keyboard ( I have a Nokia E90 and it's a looooot better than the terrible N810 version)
- Hardware graphics acceleration
- Dual micro SD Slot
- Native Open Office port

- Maybe a bigger screen
- Maybe OLED but i prefer reflective for outdoor use

johnkzin
2009-05-10, 11:54
Right now, the MAIN thing I want to see with respect to the N900 is...

a release announcement *.

(* release date and final hardware specs)

chakotay_da_silver
2009-05-11, 13:13
1. A REASONABLE f*cking internal MEMORY SIZE..my HUGEST HUGEST disappointment in the n810 is the TINY internal storage size, because right now i have ZERO space left, BUT 500 MB in the internal storage CARD..and im no freaking expert so that space i cannot install programs to.. this is ******ED.. I dont WANT to install an OS to a REMOVEABLE card Either because of that very reason: I want it to be REMOVEABLE while the machine is still on..geez..

2. USB (2 ports if at all possible) for easier hassle free access to more storage, and other things.. (usb keyboard, mouse, other ****)

3. Graphics (so we can emulate a n64 if possible)

4. slightly larger screen size..(extendable if at all possible for those times you're at home etc.. although im guessing the technology is still some way off?) ---BUT keep it hand held - the device could be almost the same dimensions still - look at your n810 now & just extend the screen up and left and right instead of these wasted casing areas (maybe a more touchable, ridged sides of the device, for holding purposes)

5. a MOUSE-DEVICE ie.. a "thumb mouse" or whatever u call that little button thing, AND the nav square moved to the RIGHT (most of us are ****ing right handed, come on Nokia)

6. faster processor.. 800 mhz if at all possible

7. improved INSTALLER (the "application manager") for regular users especially.. easier to use, locate, install, and uninstall, AND ESPECIALLY (if nokia continues this tiny internal memory with an extra internal card thing) option to CHOOSE WHERE TO INSTALL the application like you can in Mac OS X AND WINDOWS..for god's sake man..

8. better colors AND optional color schemes for the casing style.. lets beautify, nokia.. why not show the vaio a thing or two about style!

9. Marketed (seeing as its TRUE) as a UMPC.. the affordable option (compared to these ******ed $800 + devices)

attila77
2009-05-11, 18:21
2. USB (2 ports if at all possible) for easier hassle free access to more storage, and other things.. (usb keyboard, mouse, other ****)

You can do that now, you just need an adapter.

little button thing, AND the nav square moved to the RIGHT (most of us are ****ing right handed, come on Nokia)

Err, it's on the left side exactly for that reason. Even the N64 (and pretty much all nintendos) you mention previously has it's dpad on the left side.

Also, any stuff on the right side cannot be used with the stylus, as right handed people will have the stylus in their right hand.

9. Marketed (seeing as its TRUE) as a UMPC.. the affordable option (compared to these ******ed $800 + devices)

It's not an UMPC, marketing it as such would be misleading as people would think they can install windows on it.

johnkzin
2009-05-11, 18:41
yeah, rather than marketing it as an UMPC, they could try marketing it as an "ARM based MID" (there are a few others). But I don't actually see that happening.

chakotay_da_silver
2009-05-12, 08:32
You can do that now, you just need an adapter.

EXACTLY. You need an adapter, you need to do OTHER stuff that average user is not going to do. You're still in "im a linux supergeek" mode..

USER EXPERIENCE mate..

Don't know what your talking about for the d-pad..it's not a d-pad at all.. right now its a mouse replacement or direction KEYS thing replacement..which is on the RIGHT of every regular keyboard. I'd be happy for it to stay if they put a mouse dot thing on the right (balance it out and make it MORE like a d-pad i suppose)

It's not an UMPC, marketing it as such would be misleading as people would think they can install windows on it.

No.. UMPC does NOT = "can install windows on it" mate, (wrong answer buzzer button on a game show)

UMPC stands for Ultra Mobile Personal Computer

and yes it is EXACTLY that.. a very bad computer (aka a computer from like the early 90s) but still a BLIMMIN COMPUTER mate

that's exactly what i got it for..its a very small computer in my freaking hand.

As opposed to an iPod touch which is a computer so BADLY DISABLED-by-design that THAT can only be considered a mobile entertainment device instead of an actual computer.

Oh and by the way, from APPLE INSIDER recently:

"Web market share for the iPod touch has tripled in just five months, outpacing even the iPhone among mobile devices"

See? the future is in the handheld COMPUTER that accesses the ever growing internet.. telephones are antiquated.

it IS a umpc dawg. it IS.. just from the early 90s or whatever.. it's almost as good as my very first DESKTOP PC which was literally (rough cubic inches calculation) around 750 TIMES LARGER THAN THIS THING... and only a TINY...TINY bit more powerful, mate

(it was one of those tower-on-its-side gateway pc's.. 450Mhz hahah BUT it did have graphics u see, 5GB HD, lolz!)

attila77
2009-05-12, 09:14
EXACTLY. You need an adapter, you need to do OTHER stuff that average user is not going to do. You're still in "im a linux supergeek" mode..

If attaching to a standard microUSB port is supergeek, I don't dare imagine where Maemo in general is on that geek scale :)

Don't know what your talking about for the d-pad..it's not a d-pad at all.. right now its a mouse replacement or direction KEYS thing replacement..which is on the RIGHT of every regular keyboard. I'd be happy for it to stay if they put a mouse dot thing on the right (balance it out and make it MORE like a d-pad i suppose)

The NIT equivalent for mouse dot thing is the stylus :)

No.. UMPC does NOT = "can install windows on it" mate, (wrong answer buzzer button on a game show)

and yes it is EXACTLY that.. a very bad computer (aka a computer from like the early 90s) but still a BLIMMIN COMPUTER mate

Yes, well, the trouble is that it's YOUR interpretation. Unfortunately, UMPC means something else for 99% of people who have heard about the term.

Oh and by the way, from APPLE INSIDER recently:

"Web market share for the iPod touch has tripled in just five months, outpacing even the iPhone among mobile devices"

See? the future is in the handheld COMPUTER that accesses the ever growing internet.. telephones are antiquated.

1) WEB market share. WEB does not equal COMPUTER.
2) Market share is a percentage, it changes all the time.
3) Bringing Apple Insider as proof/reference for Apple successes and market predictions... Well, that's kinda lame.

tso
2009-05-12, 10:38
1. A REASONABLE f*cking internal MEMORY SIZE..my HUGEST HUGEST disappointment in the n810 is the TINY internal storage size, because right now i have ZERO space left, BUT 500 MB in the internal storage CARD..and im no freaking expert so that space i cannot install programs to.. this is ******ED.. I dont WANT to install an OS to a REMOVEABLE card Either because of that very reason: I want it to be REMOVEABLE while the machine is still on..geez..

From what i have understood, the internal storage was the biggest available as a CoC module at the time. sure, they could have done something similar as to what they did with the N810, but that would have made the overall board larger to make room for the extra chip(s).

i guess a secondary option would have been to basically put the whole os on a internal (preferably replaceable) SD card (yes, one can do so by choice, but then comes a reflash/SSU and one is back to the start again), but then nokia never was in the biz of making their product that user upgradeable...

johnkzin
2009-05-12, 14:55

Needing an physical adapter is "supergeek"? Frankly, that may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

So, those consumer devices that let you plug an Express Card into a USB slot ... that's "supergeek", even though some wireless ISPs use them as standard equipment for use with their wireless cards?

Or, those business people who do international travel, and use power adapters for their laptops... according to you, they're no longer "corporate suite" types? Even though they know next to nothing about geek topics, they're now "supergeeks" because they have physical adapters on their electronic gear?

And, it's a phrase coined by a joint team of Intel, Microsoft, and Samsung, to refer to a particular class and generation of devices which, not very coincidentally, specifically use x86 hardware and the Windows OS. Further, they have a particular size and performance profile (8" and 7" screens).

The more generic term (both in terms of size, CPU, and OS), which also includes Linux devices, is MID (also coined by Intel, and later clarified by Intel to be a super-set of the both the UMPC and netbook markets).

Even if you want to go with the more casual use of the terms, UMPCs are regarded as larger devices than MIDs. Again, UMPCs have 7" - 9" screens, are not aimed at the pocketable market, and attempt to be desktop replacement types devices (running desktop OSes, in desktop user interface configurations). Smaller than that, and more optimized around being pocketable devices, are the MID and/or smartphone markets (depending on the device's exact capabilities).

it IS a umpc dawg. it IS.. just from the early 90s or whatever.. it's almost as good as my very first DESKTOP PC which was literally (rough cubic inches calculation) around 750 TIMES LARGER THAN THIS THING... and only a TINY...TINY bit more powerful, mate

(it was one of those tower-on-its-side gateway pc's.. 450Mhz hahah BUT it did have graphics u see, 5GB HD, lolz!)

Welcome to the tradeoffs of the mobile market. Smaller, lighter, cooler, longer (battery life) == slower. Period. If you want to increase the speed, you have to give up one or more of the other factors.

And, the Nokia NIT platform is not considered by the mobile market at large (not even by the windows oriented faction) to be a "dawg", they're considered to be one of the market leaders. They were the first MID on the scene, they have one of the best mobile UI's on the scene, etc.. Perfect? no. "dawg"? Not even close.

Compare it to your beloved UMPC market, where the CPU's predate the Atom (such as the Samsung Q1 Ultra), and you're looking at devices that are actually SLOWER than the NIT overall (more MHz, but still slower devices), and have half the battery life ... at best. Yet, they also weigh 2-4 times as much, and have UI's that aren't even closed to optimized for the mobile market (most of them are just running the desktop XP or Vista environment, unmodified).

From there, if you want a device with one of the faster Atom processors, you're most likely going to be carrying around a heat generating battery sucking device that either has a battery bigger than the NIT itself, or has a pitiful battery life (or both).

If you want to keep trying to argue this, you might want to do a bit more research on the topic. If there's one thing you've made clear, it's that you don't know have even half a clue about what you're talking about.

TA-t3
2009-05-12, 14:59
I think the shortest thing I can say about any new device is this: I won't buy anything with a micro-SD slot. Normal-size SD or no deal, ever.

mobiledivide
2009-05-12, 15:12
I think the shortest thing I can say about any new device is this: I won't buy anything with a micro-SD slot. Normal-size SD or no deal, ever.

I have a feeling you won't be buying the new device. I can't think of a mobile device that has shipped from Nokia since the N800 that had a full sized SD slot.
I just want an N810 with a better processor and 3G so it looks like I am all set ;)

johnkzin
2009-05-12, 15:12

I'd prefer the exact opposite. My pocketable device should have a microSDHC card slot.

Full size SD card slots are for netbooks, UMPCs, and larger devices, and they're intended to receive any size SD card (micro, mini, or full size) via adapters where necessary. That latter requirement isn't necessary (nor, even, really appropriate) in a pocketable device.

MicroSD cards are cards that can be put into any device, and take up as little room as possible. Both of those, but especially the latter, are highly appropriate for pocketable devices.

Though, I wouldn't consider either direction to be a "deal breaker". However, I would be greatly disappointed to see Nokia do another miniSD slot.

TA-t3
2009-05-12, 15:22
It's true that if all Nokia come out with will have micro-<something> slots, I won't be getting any Nokia again.

Even if everything went 'micro' I wouldn't buy it, simply because micro-SD cards are physically too small: I will lose them. They're small enough to fall out of whatever I try to keep them in. There's no way I can keep them safe. Even the wallet coin pocket won't hold them - there's typically a little gap there. I can just manage to keep my full-size SD cards as it is.

But I don't expect that such a change will actually happen until we're way beyond NAND flash: full-size SD format will keep walking up to 2TB and will keep the size until they're there. After that things could change, but we've hopefully something better than NAND by then.

Micro SD is _TOO SMALL_. It only works for devices where you keep a single card permanently inside the slot, forever. As you would do with a phone. That's where Nokia is heading, apparently: The phone folks there have taken over, with just too limited imagination.

EDIT: I don't _mind_ a microSD card in a phone. I do mind in a NIT/MID/UPMC device though.

johnkzin
2009-05-12, 15:31
micro-SD cards are physically too small: I will lose them. They're small enough to fall out of whatever I try to keep them in. There's no way I can keep them safe. Even the wallet coin pocket won't hold them - there's typically a little gap there. I can just manage to keep my full-size SD cards as it is.

So,

1) buy a bunch of MicroSD to SD card adapters (watch out, all of these adapters will make you a supergeek).

2) put the adapters into your wallet/carrying case/etc. Just like you do with full size SD cards now.

3) when you take a microSD card out of a device, put it into one of the adapters (and make sure it's properly seated in the adapter). Now you've got a microSD card that is just as safe to carry as a full size SD card, just as hard to lose as a full size card, etc.

4) when you want to put the microSD card back into your N900, pull it out of the adapter and put it into the N900.

:-)

GeraldKo
2009-05-12, 23:31
Here's a pretty neat N900 software wish:

Since the N900 (at least I think) will come stock with:

1) a compass and accelerometer (orientation),
2) GPS (location),
3) 3D acceleration (rendering),
4) a camera (view),
5) and HSPA (anywhere network),

it has all the ingredients for an amazing augmented reality system!

Imagine holding the N810 as if a transparent piece of glass in the open, and seeing floating markers in the distance over the landscape, or information about what you're pointing it towards (description, history, position markers, etc). With HSPA, the tablet can automatically download the augmented reality objects from a centralised server, for a seamless user experience. It can also grab the positions of visible 'users' for neat social apps or form the basis of 'geo-games' (consider this term coined). For virtual graffiti, users could 'tag' an area with art or information.

This would also make an AMAZING star gazing app. Imagine being able to aim the tablet and 'zoom' in on distant nebulae as if it were a telescope, or see the surface of the moon in high detail! My heart beats at the thought!

Just start the app, aim the tablet, and view a virtual world juxtaposed with reality!

What do you think?

YARR!
AugmentedCorruption

"Google plans to release a mobile app called "Star Droid", which uses a combination of GPS and the phone's camera to label the stars above your head.

"Once they've attained a GPS lock, users will be able to point their phones' cameras toward the night sky and have star data—probably pulled from the same sources as Google Earth's Sky—superimposed over the image."

http://gizmodo.com/5250393/google-star-droid-app-will-turn-your-phone-into-an-interactive-star-map-you-into-a-colossal-nerd-updated

Cool background:

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2009/05/12/new-android-app-navigates-you-through-the-universe

Video:

http://phandroid.com/2009/05/12/google-sky-map-now-available-in-android-market/

mullf
2009-05-12, 23:43
"Google plans to release a mobile app called "Star Droid", which uses a combination of GPS and the phone's camera to label the stars above your head.

"Once they've attained a GPS lock, users will be able to point their phones' cameras toward the night sky and have star data—probably pulled from the same sources as Google Earth's Sky—superimposed over the image."

http://gizmodo.com/5250393/google-star-droid-app-will-turn-your-phone-into-an-interactive-star-map-you-into-a-colossal-nerd-updated

Will they have a mapper program to plot a navigation path for your space ship?

johnkzin
2009-05-12, 23:50

Yes, you just go to google maps, enter the star chart information, click on "get directions", and enter the other star chart information, and it will give you the sublight astrogation information you need. There may also be an option for entering warp, hyperspace, wormhole, star gate, and other translight astrogation instructions.

Last, if you click on "public transportation", it will also give you information about locations where you can make yourself a likely "alien abductee" for hitching a ride to the desired location. Hopefully it'll also give you an indication of the "costs" of each mode of alien travel (being a guinea pig for organ transplants, genetic manipulation ... probes... the usual).

mullf
2009-05-12, 23:57
Yes, you just go to google maps, enter the star chart information, click on "get directions", and enter the other star chart information, and it will give you the sublight astrogation information you need. There may also be an option for entering warp, hyperspace, wormhole, star gate, and other translight astrogation instructions.

Last, if you click on "public transportation", it will also give you information about locations where you can make yourself a likely "alien abductee" for hitching a ride to the desired location. Hopefully it'll also give you an indication of the "costs" of each mode of alien travel (being a guinea pig for organ transplants, genetic manipulation ... probes... the usual).

Great, I won't crash my space ship in the moon next time! (Never schedule the maiden voyage of a spacecraft on the night of the new moon, folks!!!)

lma
2009-05-13, 00:36

What, users are supposed to provide their own space ship? I won't be buying any such device unless it comes with a Sub-Etha Sense-O-Matic transceiver!

Bundyo
2009-05-13, 05:16
But a SEP field (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somebody_Else%27s_Problem) is required...

gerbick
2009-05-13, 05:41
What I want to see most... a way to trade in my 770 and N810 for the N900. Heck, extend that offer to the community first.

TA-t3
2009-05-13, 12:01
1) buy a bunch of MicroSD to SD card adapters (watch out, all of these adapters will make you a supergeek)[..]
Ok, admittedly that _would_ work, kind of :)

yukop4
2009-05-13, 12:04
4.8 inch screen -or 5 inch on a n810 thats it -maybe a new os,better gps
the rest is fine

iamNarada
2009-05-13, 12:41
4.8 inch screen -or 5 inch on a n810 thats it -maybe a new os,better gps
the rest is fine

With in the realm of possibility, the front face has a diagonal of 5.7 inches, so it's really "just" a matter of reducing the bezel.

iamNarada
2009-05-13, 12:57
I'd like Bluetooth 3.0, 802.11n, USB charging (would prefer to eliminate the "standard" port, but would settle for being able to charge via the USB port in addition to the standard), hot swappable batteries (capacitor for the interim), inductive charging (palm pre dock style), a secondary EInk display, solar charging integrated into the hard cover (yes I want a hard cover like my 770 has), diversified model line including models with and without keyboards, a pico projector...ummm, oh yes, and I'd like the battery to be one of the newer lithium ion chemistries that charges in 2-3 minutes instead of hours. As an aside, to everyone who po-pos the pico projectors being integrated into phones or IT or MIDs, the killer app for phones with pico projectors has got to be head up display on the windshield, of say google maps (or your mapping program of choice), GPS enabled of course. Anyways, when is it showing up?!??!?!

attila77
2009-05-15, 12:45

They use the compass for the direction, not the camera. Hey, if I knew the N900 spec would make this possible, I would have already made such an app (likely slow and bloated, but still ;) ) when QGil first suggested it last year. Without compass, with just accelerometers and a camera it would be quite a feat.

lardman
2009-05-15, 12:56
I reckon the star map matching/recognition bit is the most interesting aspect, but then I like DSPs too... ;)

YoDude
2009-05-15, 13:28
They use the compass for the direction, not the camera. Hey, if I knew the N900 spec would make this possible, I would have already made such an app (likely slow and bloated, but still ;) ) when QGil first suggested it last year. Without compass, with just accelerometers and a camera it would be quite a feat.

Still, I would get ready for an online virtual world that you interact with from the real world on a mobile device much like this Star Droid (http://www.talkandroid.com/1056-star-droid-app/) with Google sky.

Can you imagine standing in a field @ Gettysburg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Gettysburg) or Waterloo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Waterloo), pointing your device at a farmhouse and them having an overlay come up on your browser with relavant facts and additional sites linked to it?

Can you also imagine millions of tourists, by using such an app, giving Google permision to send relevant adds to their device based on their reported location like "and right arround the corner is La Pate Et Ose (http://www.lapateetose.be/)"? :)

attila77
2009-05-15, 13:37
^ the idea is good, but not as easy at is seems at first sight. Stars/planets are easy as you're moving in 2D (=no closer/further targets on the same direction). With 'real life' situations, you have to discover WHAT you're aiming the phone at, and that's not easy, even if you have compass and camera input, due to sensor/pointing errors and multiple targets being in the given direction, objects obscuring each other, etc. To reiterate, the idea is cool, and sooner or later somebody will do it, but this Star Droid is far-far-far from that as it does not rely on any actual input from outside sources (apart from Earth's gravity and magnetic field, that is :) Now, if any of these devices would have a built-in laser distance meter, that would be a very different story.

SD69
2009-05-15, 14:05
The word "manufacture" is used very loosely these days. For example, the tablets start in Asia (Korea last time I checked) and are final-assembled in Mexico (used to be US before our factory shut down). So I'm sure the netbooks will experience something similar. Final "assembly" in the US could be something as basic as loading location-specific software or applying other value dictated by a US-based partner/customer...That makes sense, though I call that "localization" or "rebranding". I don't think there is any MID/UMPC/netbook that is currently assembled in the United States in a way more substantial than that (but I could be wrong).

lardman
2009-05-15, 17:26
but not as easy at is seems at first sight.

That's the interesting part of course :)

Capt'n Corrupt
2009-05-15, 23:32
A personal wish:

Personally, I would rather the N900 kept the existing screen size (maybe a slightly smaller one), and shrunk the overall device. Seriously, as it stands now, its barely small enough to be pocketable, and is not very comfortable for me. A smaller device would be great!

Also, I would love some sort of capacitive screen. After using the iPod Touch for 2 mins, it's quite clear that for finger input it is far superior to the N810. The screen is also more durable. I feel as though I have to baby the N810, whereas the iPod touch is a rock.

Perhaps some sort of active digitizer with magno-pen?

YARR!

ManoCorrupt

GeneralAntilles
2009-05-16, 00:13
Also, I would love some sort of capacitive screen. After using the iPod Touch for 2 mins, it's quite clear that for finger input it is far superior to the N810. The screen is also more durable. I feel as though I have to baby the N810, whereas the iPod touch is a rock.

We've discussed this before. Capacitive simply isn't suitable for the current tablets.

johnkzin
2009-05-16, 00:33
A personal wish:

Personally, I would rather the N900 kept the existing screen size (maybe a slightly smaller one),

I definitely don't want the screen to be any smaller. I would actually go the opposite direction: slightly larger, but still pocketable.

For the device being smaller ... only if it can still house the same functionality + growth due to the advance of the device category. More Ram, more storage, more battery, both mini-usb for client/charging, and micro-USB for host/otg, 3.5mm headset jack, some type of SD card slot, as well as adding the internal 3G circuitry, and some form of display-out capability (I'd prefer mini or micro dvi-i out). I don't see that giving much capability to make the device smaller.

Capt'n Corrupt
2009-05-16, 14:05
We've discussed this before. Capacitive simply isn't suitable for the current tablets.

Discussed, though I don't recall any unanimous agreement being reached. In any case, I'm not looking for an argument, so I'll leave it at that.

For the device being smaller ... only if it can still house the same functionality + growth due to the advance of the device category. More Ram, more storage, more battery, both mini-usb for client/charging, and micro-USB for host/otg, 3.5mm headset jack, some type of SD card slot, as well as adding the internal 3G circuitry, and some form of display-out capability (I'd prefer mini or micro dvi-i out). I don't see that giving much capability to make the device smaller.

This seems to be possible for other devices, why not the tablet? Take the N97 as an example. The current tablet is old tech, and this industry seems spry....

YARR!
Corrupt2008

jandmdickerson
2009-05-16, 15:09
dpad on face of the unit and camera lens cover for protection of the rear facing camera

johnkzin
2009-05-16, 16:26
This seems to be possible for other devices, why not the tablet? Take the N97 as an example. The current tablet is old tech, and this industry seems spry....

You missed my point (or I didn't articulate it well).

At any given time, as tech moves forward, you get three choices:

Do the same in less volume
Do more in the same volume
Something in between (do a little bit more in somewhat less volume)

Given those 3 choices, I would pick "Do more in the same volume". While the N97 looks like a great form factor, and like a sexy little beast ... I don't want the NIT to get that small. Instead, I'd rather see an N97 shell that is as big as an N810, and have that be the basis of the N900.

attila77
2009-05-16, 16:40
I'm with johnkzin on this one, the N800 was a bit big, N810 is just right for me. If we could get a tad bigger screen (even with the same resolution) and less bezel, that'd be great. I don't care about 3-3.5" screens for extended internet-related use, my eyes are not that young any more.

YoDude
2009-05-16, 18:49
^ the idea is good, but not as easy at is seems at first sight. Stars/planets are easy as you're moving in 2D (=no closer/further targets on the same direction). With 'real life' situations, you have to discover WHAT you're aiming the phone at, and that's not easy, even if you have compass and camera input, due to sensor/pointing errors and multiple targets being in the given direction, objects obscuring each other, etc. To reiterate, the idea is cool, and sooner or later somebody will do it, but this Star Droid is far-far-far from that as it does not rely on any actual input from outside sources (apart from Earth's gravity and magnetic field, that is :) Now, if any of these devices would have a built-in laser distance meter, that would be a very different story.

And that's the idea behind the virtual world or web data base. From the reported location, orientation, and direction of the device a calculation would be made and the display would be relative. No need for laser range finders. :)

In fact the application could "know" if it is daylight or night time, if it is fair, overcast, or raining.

Granted that is a lot of stored and transmitted data, not to mention the CPU needed to parse and display it all. However, in time those concerns will be meaningless. :)

attila77
2009-05-17, 00:07
And that's the idea behind the virtual world or web data base. From the reported location, orientation, and direction of the device a calculation would be made and the display would be relative. No need for laser range finders. :)

I'm just curious just how will you discern multiple targets in the same general direction. I understand it can work for stuff I'm right next to (and for those GPS is enough, too), but down the road ? From a window in a flat/office ? Across the river ? In a panorama/from a vantage point ?

In fact the application could "know" if it is daylight or night time, if it is fair, overcast, or raining.

You can do that with any GPS enabled device right now without too much magic. GPS gives you local time and satellite weather maps for a given lat/lon can give cloud/rain amounts, pressure and temperature results from nearby weather stations, ditto.

Capt'n Corrupt
2009-05-17, 00:29
Perhaps I'm missing something. If there's a database of 'augmented' objects, the tablet knows its position and orientation in this augmented space, and the tablet has access to that database, then the object the tablet is pointing towards can be found using only an algorithm and no additional hardware. This is true weather or not there are multiple objects in front of the tablet.

For example ray-tracers use a such an algorithm to determine which surface a cast ray intersects with. I suspect something similar could be done with more simple targets (eg. a large cuboid for a building), and limiting the intersect-able objects based on their relative position.

I may be misinterpreting the discussion, though. I admit, I've only read the last two posts!

YARR!
AugmentedCorrupt

attila77
2009-05-17, 00:49
For example ray-tracers use a such an algorithm to determine which surface a cast ray intersects with. I suspect something similar could be done with more simple targets (eg. a large cuboid for a building), and limiting the intersect-able objects based on their relative position.

There is a very limited amount of places that have accurate *vertical* mapping, and even less that have it on the level of buildings. Two, imagine a photo of a city panorama. I might be (trying to) point to a building but I will have always hundreds of potential points that will also be on the screen, between and around me and the target object. The further away your target is, the bigger this problem is - that's why I mentioned distance meters which would give you a pinpoint location of the target, not a line containing multiple possible targets. But, as said, if it's just 'hey what's this building I'm next to', you're good to go even with N810 class hardware.

YoDude
2009-05-17, 02:04
There is a very limited amount of places that have accurate *vertical* mapping, and even less that have it on the level of buildings. Two, imagine a photo of a city panorama. I might be (trying to) point to a building but I will have always hundreds of potential points that will also be on the screen, between and around me and the target object. The further away your target is, the bigger this problem is - that's why I mentioned distance meters which would give you a pinpoint location of the target, not a line containing multiple possible targets. But, as said, if it's just 'hey what's this building I'm next to', you're good to go even with N810 class hardware.

The first word of my supposition was "imagine".

15 years ago very few places were horizontally mapped. :D

...and yo ho CC I believe you're on the right track... It wouldn't be hard for a country club to 3D map its grounds, provide golf carts with displays, GPS, and wireless connections to their network. Based on the golf carts orientation, the display could provide a whole bunch of usefull info to the golfer. I wouldn't be supprised if this was already available at places like Pebble Beach (http://www.pebblebeach.com/webcam/1tee_java.htm)

For that matter, the same could be done in large resorts or theme parks and with a device provided to guests for use while there.

http://www.pdafutar.hu/upload/webdisk/altina_a800_igo8.jpg

Capt'n Corrupt
2009-05-21, 23:09
I would like to see a device that looks similar to this.
http://www.jappit.com/images/blog/uploads/stew_scrollable_content.jpg

http://www.jappit.com/images/blog/uploads/stew_different_layouts.jpg

This image was taken from an official Nokia blog post here:
http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/blog/alessandro-la-rosas-forum-nokia-blog/2009/05/21/mobilising-websites-guidelines-for-wrt-widgets-development-part-2

YARR!
NoBezel Corrupt

attila77
2009-05-22, 00:24
This image was taken from an official Nokia blog post here:

Just to avoid confusion, it's a forum Nokia community blog, which is probably not what people associate with 'official' :)

Capt'n Corrupt
2009-05-22, 12:42
Just to avoid confusion, it's a forum Nokia community blog, which is probably not what people associate with 'official' :)

Haha! Thanks!

YARR!
MistakenCapt'n

TheGogmagog
2009-05-22, 14:19
I haven't read the thread, but had a thought I wanted to put out there and this seems to be the right place.

Wish item for the N900 or future devices: Video out.
I just got a HD tv and went through the devices in my house for compatability. I've dismissed the video out on digial cameras (and still doubt i'll bother to connect a camera EVER). But then I looked at the N800 and wished I could connect not only internet but MP4 playback device. Perhaps this would have very narrow appeal.*

Then the today I find this device 'Neuros digital recorder' (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_e?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=Neuros+Recorder+&x=10&y=19)(versions have been around a while and discussed here before). It redoubled my wish to be able to connect my N800 (and now for video in). Now that I type this, I seem to recall archos had a docking station for recording. Either way for now, I'll probably just use a full pc, but that still won't have video in.

*Which reminds me of a request I probably posted here before:
Expansion Capability. Give us some kind of expansion slot. Maybe a full SD card slot open to the top (like palm treo). We can use it to add whatever we need. All I can think of as existing now is wifi SD cards, and GPS. But it could be my above mentioned Video out, an IR LED (to use as a remote), radio tuner, maybe a camera. Other industry specific thing like walkie-talkie chip, multimeter, device net node, PLC, maybe a barcode scanner (laser emitter for use with the camera).

Benson
2009-05-23, 04:40
I'm with johnkzin on this one, the N800 was a bit big, N810 is just right for me. I know I'm probably the only one, but the N810 is imho too small for two-thumb usage. My fingers run over each other on the back.

attila77
2009-05-23, 13:20
I know I'm probably the only one, but the N810 is imho too small for two-thumb usage. My fingers run over each other on the back.

How many fingerS ? I just have my index fingers on the back, middle fingers holding the bottom of the NIT, and since the keyboard is a little to the right, the right index is higher, hence no overlap.

johnkzin
2009-05-23, 19:17
I used to hold my N810 with my middle and ring finger partly curved and pushing their points into the back of the N810, my index fingers close to the top of the N810 (or the top of the back, if the device was open), and my pinky fingers sort of acting as a slight base for the bottom of the N810 to rest upon (but not a lot of weight on them -- they were more preventing incidental downward movement of the N810 to keep it form slipping out of my hands; the weight (what little there is) was largely supported by my palms along the sides of the back, and the sides of the device, pressing in a little). Which is also fairly similar to how I hold my G1.

But I never had discomfort with my thumb reach on it. My discomfort was from the fact that the keys were too stiff, and didn't have a decent tactile feedback/feel for when you had successfully pushed a key. Which is odd, because Nokia qwerty phones seem to get that part right (the E61i was decent, and the E71 is excellent, in this regard; but the N810 is awful in this regard).

TokoUnion
2009-05-25, 16:03
I had an S40 phone and a 770 a year ago. I switched to ONLY an E65 with wifi and used it for phone, music, games, email, light web, and voip for almost a year and loveed it.

Just got a N810 and instead of it being the end all device for me...I picture it as an extension to my phone now. Anything that my N810 can do that my E65 does that benefits from the extra screen size or keyboard I use the N810 now. For calls and voip which I don't really even need a screen for I use the E65.

Saying that...Let me sync contacts and sms's to the N810 so I can use that to send and read sms's just like I can do with mail.

Autosyncing photo's from my phone into my N810 would rock.
E65 is not too bad, but its PVC skin layer is of POOR durability!
Peel off easily!

Rather unstable.

Sliding also poor strength and hang easily.

That's about my E65.

It was A COMPLETE FAILURE FOR NOKIA wasn't it?
I am so looking forward to my next better phone.

Many fabulous mobile gadgets in Korea and Japan, but not sold overseas. SAD!!!

mullf
2009-05-25, 16:04
Same screen size.

sjgadsby
2009-05-26, 03:58
My reflection.

Capt'n Corrupt
2009-10-07, 12:28
It's been a while.

Anywhoo.. Now that the hardware is final, I think there's still room for wishing on the software front. I won't go into the obvious wish about portrait mode. However, I will wish for something that I think is far more significant.

A Gears (formally known as Google Gears) (http://gears.google.com/) extension for the web browser.

Gears is a technology designed to give online applications many of the same advantages shared of natively installed applications, in a very simple and non-intrusive way (similar to the upcoming HTML5 spec -- today). These include:

1) Offline storage of data. Data can be stored in an SQLite database offline as per the users permission.

2) System notifications. This allows the application to notify the system that something has happened.

3) Offline document/data serving. This mechanism can store the actual app, as html files and javascript files can be stored. Additionally it has expanded to include binary data (BLOBS).

4) Background worker pool. Basically a set of Javascript Objects that exist and execute outside of the page (for a given app/domain) and between page changes. Once registered, these can improve performance.

5) Geolocation. Using in-built hardware, or the estimated position based on the WiFi AP, location can be used as a part of any application.

When you mix all of these together, what you get is the potential to make an online application run very closely to that of an offline application. The major advantage here is an INCREDIBLY low cost to entry as applications do not need to be 'installed' in the traditional way, and can be tried as easily as navigating to a web page!

With the recent advances in the browser including the general javascript performance, the canvas element, etc. There are sufficient features to service a great number of applications. Including flash into this equation furthers the domain-of-usefulness.

Online development provides not only a low-cost for entry of the user, but the developer as well. Many apps can be prototyped rapidly, and improved gradually as time goes on. This equates to MANY MORE APPS and MANY MORE DEVELOPERS. Moreover, these apps are extremely write-once-run-anywhere apps. Lastly, while Javascript may be considered a muddled language, it is extremely powerful and very flexible if one adheres to good design principles (much like C).

It's of worth noting that online apps with gears do not NEED to be apps as services. In fact, a complete app can be contained in a set of pages, and the data stored completely offline. In this scenario, the app may be built to poll the the server for updates rather than requiring the server to run.

It's not all roses and bee-bottoms, though. There still are many things that native apps do better. However, when one considers twitter clients, messaging, maps, document creation, and a multitude of other apps that can be represented in this environment, its easy to understand that online development provides a very future-focused and attractive alternative to traditional offline tools.

I would *really* like to see Gears on the N900. It's a bandwagon worth jumping on.

johnkzin
2009-10-07, 12:42
I second that. I'd like to see Gears for Maemo.

And, on the "lets talk about software we'd like to see" front:

I'd still like to see a full SyncML implementation, _at_least_ for syncing contacts and calendar to SyncML servers/services out on the internet. GooSync for Google contacts and calendar, and Oracle Calendar for work calendar data are the servers/services that are particularly important to me.

Capt'n Corrupt
2009-10-07, 13:05
I second that. I'd like to see Gears for Maemo.

And, on the "lets talk about software we'd like to see" front:

I'd still like to see a full SyncML implementation, _at_least_ for syncing contacts and calendar to SyncML servers/services out on the internet. GooSync for Google contacts and calendar, and Oracle Calendar for work calendar data are the servers/services that are particularly important to me.

I would like to see something like this as well.

I must be missing something. Assuming that SyncML is an XML based protocol, why is it so elusive on this platform? Certainly a user-program or daemon could be easily created for periodic manual/automatic syncing. Am I missing something? Is it just one of those things that should be done, but for whatever reason, is left by the wayside?

I see this being a tremendous value, and a very large selling point for the device.

johnkzin
2009-10-07, 13:09
I must be missing something. Assuming that SyncML is an XML based protocol, why is it so elusive on this platform?

Oh, Maemo 5 is going to have SyncML.

For syncing via USB and Bluetooth, to your PC.

Useful for syncing to your Windows-only Nokia PC Suite type application. Completely useless to anyone else.

allnameswereout
2009-10-07, 22:13
Oh, Maemo 5 is going to have SyncML.

For syncing via USB and Bluetooth, to your PC.

Useful for syncing to your Windows-only Nokia PC Suite type application. Completely useless to anyone else.Why would we not be able to use a 3rd party SyncML client (and even server) besides the default one? I had a look at SyncML at Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SyncML). Seems libsynthesis (http://www.synthesis.ch/indefero/index.php/p/libsynthesis/) and OpenSync (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSync#Plugins) are the most complete, and open source (C/CPP). The nice thing about OpenSync is the many plugins, and given Qt is next and KDE has good PIM (Kontact)...

nymajoak
2009-10-07, 22:50
+1 on that. Including either multiple calendars or multiple categories, whichever apply.

farmski
2009-10-09, 21:39
http://img9.imageshack.us/i/n900gamepad.jpg/

this!! its ruff but!!

no multi touch screen means you need one!!

games to play!!

bobthebuilder
2009-10-09, 21:48

this!! its ruff but!!

games to play!!

yes because games are so much fun to play on a multitouch screen especially a first person shooter. One of those would be nice though, but a paired wiimote or ps3 controller would work a whole lot easier.
(both are pretty easy to do, I know the wii controller pairing program has been ported already.

Capt'n Corrupt
2009-10-10, 02:05

this!! its ruff but!!

games to play!!

+1 Simple and beautiful!

nomadcoder
2009-10-14, 11:40
+1 on that. Including either multiple calendars or multiple categories, whichever apply.

Ability to sync using goosync would be awesome indeed. Then I don't have to worry about Nokia implementing it. Just SyncML over http.

Alex Atkin UK
2009-10-14, 12:09
+1 Simple and beautiful!

I too wish someone would create a pad like this. It could probably work in two pieces that clip onto the left and right side, so that you can still operate the touchscreen and more quickly remove it if you suddenly get a phone call.

The Wiimote is good, but only if you are sat down at a desk to prop the N900 with the kickstand. This however would turn it into a full handheld games system, and one a lot more comfortable than the PSP or DS I suspect as its an ergonomic pad shape (which those handhelds sadly are not).

Capt'n Corrupt
2009-10-14, 12:50
I agree re: the clilp on gamepad. In fact, if it was made so that it was flush with the surface of the N900, then you wouldn't necessarily have to remove it to quickly take a phone call. It may look a bit odd, but you'd be able to hold the device to your head and speak, mid-game.

I'd like to see this for the emulators and gaming-on-demand services that are popping up. With a proper controller attachment, the N900 would truly be a portable gaming system.

This needn't be an N900 specific device. The makers could easily expand their market reach by making it generic as many smart phones tend to have very similar proportions.

I'd buy this in a heartbeat.

speculatrix
2009-10-14, 13:15
E65 is not too bad, but its PVC skin layer is of POOR durability!
Peel off easily! Rather unstable. Sliding also poor strength and hang easily. That's about my E65.

you were unlucky. I had an E65 and once I got past the initial firmware release it was stable, it's still working well and I bought a 2nd one for my wife. I just sold my E65, yes, it was peeling slightly but that's after nearly three years, and got an E71.

my complaint about nokia is that the initial firmware releases are buggy AND they don't make enough of an effort to ensure the buyer knows to update firmware when you get it. the tablet does, surely they could have put a simple app on it which simply says "there's a new firmware update, please connect to your computer and run ~~~~". I've met very few people with nokia smartphones who are aware of the need to update, and when I've helped them they are usually far happier with their device afterwards!

part of the problem is the customer. we are all impatient for the latest device, hanging on every rumour, threatening to buy a competitor's product like a spoiled child if we don't get it soon. then, if it's not perfect and needs an update we whine again. and yes, I must admit, I am a bit like that. However, with the n900 I am holding out, firstly for better prices and secondly for stability and apps to be ported.

speculatrix
2009-10-14, 13:21
Ability to sync using goosync would be awesome indeed. Then I don't have to worry about Nokia implementing it. Just SyncML over http.

goosync is no longer free. in theory Ovi offers sync services. maybe we'll get some hot sync lovin'?

johnkzin
2009-10-14, 19:29
goosync is no longer free. in theory Ovi offers sync services. maybe we'll get some hot sync lovin'?

Will Ovi's services support Mac and Ubuntu desktops? and sync with Gmail Contacts and Calendar?

If not, then there's no value to them (for me).

ccmcphe
2009-12-04, 19:53
Monitor mode support on the WL1251

emmair
2009-12-05, 03:32
Yes, I agree, monitor mode for the wl1251 would be very nice!

partviking
2009-12-05, 04:44
Monitor mode would indeed be great. A great linux box like the n900 deserves it.

guy2die4
2009-12-05, 05:21
It would be gud if we can zoom the photos in the photo gallery by tapping on the screen like the browser instead of using the volume keys...

austrianarabian
2010-02-17, 18:27
Hi, all!!!
Realistically...

**** FONTS SIZE ADJUSTMENT CAPABILITY !!
and then...

1) I would love to see NAME AND NUMBER in the contacts section
2) The music controller should work for the headphones (same like N97)
3) Voice guided navigation for Maps.
and in Music menu....
We should be able to create a playlist from the FILE MANAGER, because its very easy to LOCATE A FOLDER, CLICK IT AND SAY... CREATE A PLAYLIST/PLAY NOW.

The N900 would be so so much better if it gets the aforementioned BASIC features...

twest
2010-03-28, 12:46
1) Gesture lock instead of numbers key lock
2) improved battery life
3) better cases, iphone kills any nokia ever and i dnt like iphone i like i iphone cases

4)thinner
5)portait keyboard i dnt need full portait
6)ovi gets its act together, i dnt want a ton of apps ill take symbian 1s happily, i didnt buy the n900 for apps but the ovi store is a joke

7) improved calendar
8) integrated search bar

andraeseus1
2010-04-08, 22:01
i don't ask for much.

MMS

Better Battery (not a biggie though. i have learned how to use the n900 to get the most out of the batt)

File transfer via instant messenger

scrolling in file manager or music library by using arrow keys

Video calling (low on the list though)

file sharing via bluetooth built into the ui like the rest of the sharing plug ins

Printing and word editing capability

calendar that's more intuitive and easy to use

Music player thats worth a crap ie: easy to use, easy to edit songs, titles artists etc. Easy and practical way to make play lists

ability to use wap browser

thats all.

msa
2010-04-08, 22:07
i just want a faster and smoother interface. i hope this will be improved in the next update.

andraeseus1
2010-04-08, 22:10
i just want a faster and smoother interface. i hope this will be improved in the next update.

what was your previous phone msa?

imperiallight
2010-04-09, 00:00
BT Mouse support

craftyguy
2010-04-09, 00:15
What would you realistically like to see in the N900?

I would like to see PR1.2 "in" my N900 :P

lwa
2010-04-09, 00:18
a desktop widget that has a live feed on what ebay watched items are doing...same as facebook one that when touched launches the site...

but most of all... the return of upnp media streaming for videos.. broken in pr1.1 and still not fixed! the only reason i even want pr1.2 is to return to the functionality i had in 1.0...

uncleboarder
2010-04-09, 01:37
FOLDERS! For Apps it would be very nice.

For contacts, I consider it a necessity. Friends, family, girls, work, vacation, medical, projects. All these numbers do NOT need to be searched or browsed as one list. I need my phone to be able to group my contacts as *I* want.

assetburned
2010-04-09, 03:22
a better support for mac users :-)

hey we get a flash utility and iSync is also working, that is fine.
but it would be cool to have some way to make use of all the functions of iSync. I mean to use all the power of iSync the N900 had to have Contact groups, calendar groups, all the fields the Apple address book has and some other minor stuff...

and finally... the ability to sync my N900 with my iTunes database (not necessarily with iTunes) would be cool. Not only MP3, but also my podcasts.

luckylefty
2010-04-09, 03:50
Hopefully PR 1.2 would implement full portrait mode on its browser and allow texting in portrait mode also. Other phones such as android and winmo have this feature why not maemo? Maybe its a nokia thing cuz my n97 doesnt have full qwerty text in portrait mode either, and the third part app doesn't work right because it mess up your physical keyboard input.

jaeezzy
2010-04-09, 04:23
- I wish the dashboard supported potrait mode as the browser is supporting one changing browsers via dashboard is quite awkward. I know, than what about other programs? as they are only opening in landscape you can change device orientation for that while in dashboard.
- I wish contacts application would also support automatic orientation.
- When the cursor is activated in browser, I wish I could change cursor position with up, down, left and right keys and click with the Enter key.

I think thats's it coz the others coming in my mind are unrealistic :D

Techark
2010-04-09, 04:35
A decent email client.
Push email done correctly with Imap Idle support.
Unified inbox with multi account exchange support.
Multi alert settings for different email accounts.

Modest sucks and is a weak excuse for an email client on a high end phone.

imperiallight
2010-04-12, 04:24
Portrait Text, at least t9.....:eek:

asasan
2010-04-12, 09:13
The most desired application/addition for me is voice notes attached to pictures when you use the N900 camera. This is available on some cameras (Nikon D3 & old S4) and extremely useful in a variety of situations.

Specifically, I go to a lot of backgammon tournaments and take pictures of some positions (checker play and cube decisions) for later analysis with software. Having the ability to record a quick note about the position, score, my thoughts or final decision would help immensely later while sorting through tens if not hundreds of pictures trying to remember what went on in any particular position. Not to mention having documentation for both sides in propositions/bets.

An enhancement to any of the recording applications that would add a record button to picture options in camera mode or somehow associate the two would be eternally appreciated.

johnkzin
2010-04-12, 09:56
Hasn't this ship sailed?

Shouldn't we be talking about what we want/hope to see in the N910 or N1000 or whatever?

ste-phan
2010-04-12, 11:00
Wish by software update:
-integrated skype with video call support
-OSX like search

Wish by hardware update:
-better battery / energy management - solar energy charger - or some integrated way to turn body fat into N900 power

edanto
2010-04-28, 07:54
At this stage - I just really want to be able to QUICKLY check a new email. Currently, it takes me 20 seconds, I want that to be 2 seconds.

http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/view/turn_modest_into_a_useable_email_client/#allow_me_to_read_a_new_email_inside_2_seconds

Vote for this brainstorm if you agree, and stick it in your signature, or spread the word some other way!

donalfitz
2010-05-31, 17:28
1/. Under Calendar,
Under New Events, Alarm: To set my own time limits to alarm to remind me to get moving. It is currently too restrictive.

To start getting ready for an appointment/Flights/ meeting friends, depending what is required to get there. i.e getting to the airport and ready for Flight. I may need to 5 hours, due to Travel to the airport + check in time + Security checks.

Then Another event could be 2 hours before for example getting to Footbal stadium.

2/. WEB:
On certain webpages uses flash or javascript with controls. Is there a way I can lock the zoom and pan on that piece of the webpage and use controls on it.
Here in Ireland we have a maps better than google for local area views. I find useful to guide people to my house, since using GPS location is more accurate, but people want visual view from a map.
I find it annoying I cannot use www.osi.ie map viewer on my mobile. To be able to zoom in and pan is frustrating.

http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx#V1,533325,672213,1

3/. On "Setting" > "Phone" > "Home Network Data counter"
To be able to reset every billing date and recorded each month downloaded amount in a file to view usage to verify If I need to change data plan with the service provider.

nseika
2010-10-23, 02:30
Pinning website to the application menu or desktop with the icon from the website instead of screenshot.
Many websites used apple-touch-icon, would be nice if there’s update or application to use that for web applications shortcut.

ali392
2011-05-26, 13:34
Complete Vertical Programs and screen managing. Like Symbian.
Atleast conversations and telephony

Speakers Attached to Screen Panel instead with keyboard because with keyboard mostly they are coverd with hands supressing volume.

Usb and if possible hdmi ports so that I can directly attach anything tht can be attached with computer.

Joseph.skb
2011-05-26, 13:39
3G Video Call!

SHARP66
2011-09-29, 23:12
voice command

prankster
2011-09-29, 23:24
maemo 5 without bugs !!

nokiaqueen
2011-09-30, 00:14
compatible apps with other devices, video call (tango), what's app etc.

HELLASISGREECE
2011-09-30, 01:19
Nokia Maps 3.06 or 3.08 just like S^3

anyonebutthis
2012-03-01, 06:35
oh an better infrared, (better range and receive ability)

enne30
2012-03-04, 10:20
Voice dialing! :)