Hi community,

first of all: i am all new to N9, moving away from Android because I was pissed by user interface and Google. So please don't judge me for simple questions.

I bought a used N9 64gb black and I love the design and user experience. What a beauty!!! But since the beginning I am suffering from serious problems in my 3G data connection.

I am using an Austrian network provider with very good 3G coverage, so I know that there is a perfect data network that the N9 could connect to. I use no special proxy or dns settings. But all apps, like e.g. the browser or ovi store, have everlasting connection losses.

When I try to load a website in the stock browser, sometimes it loades extremly slow (but full), sometimes there is a error message "page can't be loaded", sometimes it loads quite fast.

I have read here about a 3G network fix update that should have come with a Nokia Link update:
http://mynokiablog.com/2013/06/11/n9...atibility-fix/

But since I have no Nokia Link on the N9 i don't know whether i got this update or if this update would solve my problems? Is there a possiblity to update the N9 with the 3G fix only???

What also took my attention is, that the 3G icon in the icon bar is changing constantly from "3G" to "3.5G". Don't know if this could be a clue?

My N9 specs:
1.2 Harmattan
PR1.3 (40.2012.21-3_PR_001)
Product Code 059J1V4 (Austria)

Thank you for your suggestions!

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Your safest bet would be to reflash to stock PR1.3 and let the system notify you of the updates again. Reflashing is recommended anyway since you bought a used phone. Some people had either uninstalled Nokia link to save space or deliberately removed it so that they didn't get the update (in most networks the N9 functions just fine anyway)

To be more precise, Nokia link is a package that contains the software that allows connecting your phone to a windows or mac computer, and IIRC is preloaded in the mass memory of the N9 so that you don't have to download it. Nokia wanted to push some additional packages to all users without issuing a new PR so they piggybacked Nokia link to push them. (the Debian system Harmattan is based on does not have a way to notify the users of additional packages that need installing so they bumped the version number of an existing package and added new dependencies to it so that when you update it the new packages get installed)

I Might not be completely right about this but that is generally what I understood.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

You can install the 3G fix from terminal.

devel-su (password is rootme)
apt-get update
apt-get install aceso-iso

do a reboot after

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Thanks for your replies.

@ qwazix: I did a reflash via flasher tool to stock PR1.3. In first step, with the stock version of PR1.3, Nokia Link reappeared but there was no 3G connection possible, only 2G internet connection.

But then I made the Nokia Link update and: voila! My 3G connection works perfect now, the Nokia N9 switches perfectly from 3G/3.5G to 2.5G if needed and the speed of browser and other applications is quite fast.

So: the Nokia Link update did really solve all the 3G issues!

Thank you fo your help!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to felixabegg For This Useful Post: