Active Topics

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Kyiv, Ukraine
Well, yep-yep, (thanks for the hint :-) ), when I have more aspiration (this example of code requires quite a lot for somebody new in the subject), sure I will do that :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to Aravinda For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by PanzerSajt View Post
I have found some interesting news on the internet. Somebody made it possible to run Arc Linux natively on the N900.

He made DSP and battery charging possible, so we need to work together to create a linux distro that runs perfectly on our sweet N900.

http://dismantle-it.blogspot.com/201...okia-n900.html

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1043492
Old news

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 204 | Thanked: 754 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by NIN101 View Post
He didn't accomplish something special so far. He also wants us to disable watchdogs, which means he doesn't deal with them properly. Then, using kernels from maemo is a step back. If we already make an alternative, we shouldn't take the old maemo stuff with us.
I updated my post to handle watchdogs correctly, and kernel is on todo list as are integration packages.

Edit: I think I need to explain why I'm using kernel-power with Arch. Reason is quite simple: it just works. More recent kernels (like 3.2.1) seem to not work at all or have some shortcomings. I've played with 2.6.37 from meego, and I could use it but I can't get DSP to work with it, and at least in my book it's quite important feature. So what I'm planning to do is compile modified kernel-power and package it. This way everything works without too much trouble. Now if I could just get SGX driver to compile against it, that would be nice as it's the only feature besides front cam that does not work at the moment. Opinions are welcome

Last edited by Skry; 2012-01-25 at 16:51.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by Skry View Post
I updated my post to handle watchdogs correctly, and kernel is on todo list as are integration packages.
Welcome to maemo.org Skry - I have had my eye on your thread on archlinux for a while (courtesy of don_falcone who originally made me aware of the work). Good luck with your continued endeavours!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gregoranderson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
I have my eye on Arch since the initial Touchpad chroot

Edit: I think I need to explain why I'm using kernel-power with Arch. Reason is quite simple: it just works. More recent kernels (like 3.2.1) seem to not work at all or have some shortcomings. I've played with 2.6.37 from meego, and I could use it but I can't get DSP to work with it, and at least in my book it's quite important feature. So what I'm planning to do is compile modified kernel-power and package it. This way everything works without too much trouble. Now if I could just get SGX driver to compile against it, that would be nice as it's the only feature besides front cam that does not work at the moment. Opinions are welcome
awesome choice - not very familiar with Arch but
have been trying ArchBang on another piece of
abandonware (Aigo P8860) and gave up
when I failed touchscreen.

That effort convinced me to wait for a new device
but still your efforts are very welcome news
if we can pull it off.

I (and others I am sure) feel that Arch-on-n900
certainly would deserve its own thread.

if you have it working and it looks like we can get some sort
of telephony to work I would like to try it on my Survivor-series
n900 which is my testbed machine.

(front-cam barely ever worked anyway so no worries there)

thanks and all the best.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 676 | Thanked: 1,067 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Kyiv, Ukraine

And I can try to automate it the same way as *buntu install if you don't mind
Actually, I can try to add it to the script. Should I start?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to int_ua For This Useful Post:
Posts: 204 | Thanked: 754 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by int_ua View Post
And I can try to automate it the same way as *buntu install if you don't mind
Actually, I can try to add it to the script. Should I start?
I don't mind, go ahead I'd wait till i get everything packaged though.

And for those interested, the thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81892

Last edited by Skry; 2012-01-26 at 14:09.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Hungary
Today I have reinstalled Ubuntu 12.04 on my 8gb class 10 micro sd card and as I was searching on the internet for some news and updates I found that a new U-boot has been released.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81613

I think we can take advantage of this new U-boot and boot some new kernels with it.

Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by PanzerSajt View Post
Today I have reinstalled Ubuntu 12.04 on my 8gb class 10 micro sd card
Interesting. Is it worth the download? Any show-stoppers (i.e. bad things), and indeed any highlights (i.e. good things)?