Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
It's not about purity. It's about quality and the fact that on the N9xx almost whatever you download is at least acceptable. BB10 is the realization of acl fear. Half of the apps on blackberry world are so bad ports that they are actually unusable and have to be uninstalled (possibly after they collect a bunch of your info). By unusable I mean literally, like controls outside of the screen, too small text etc.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
It's not about purity. It's about quality and the fact that on the N9xx almost whatever you download is at least acceptable. BB10 is the realization of acl fear. Half of the apps on blackberry world are so bad ports that they are actually unusable and have to be uninstalled (possibly after they collect a bunch of your info). By unusable I mean literally, like controls outside of the screen, too small text etc.
My comment was a bit of tongue in cheek
I wouldn't agree that BB10 is the realization of acl fear.
the issues with BB10's android player are twofold; the fact that it's using gingerbread and thus limits the functionality and feature richness of some android ports to that which was available on the 2.3 builds and the laziness of devs who chose to use the auto packaging functionality of the SDK rather than port their native code over and rebuild using cascades (or an appropriate alternative within the SDK available).
I also strongly believe that a lot of the junk android ports (both native and those brough over from the ndk are from amatuers/beginners who merely downloaded code from various public repos and though they might make a quick buck, either froom the incentive options or BBworld sales.
ACL is different kettle of fish, and my only concern lies with how they will implement and integrate native Sailfish UI funcionality when running android apps through this layer

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Marc Dillon on qwerty smartphones

as you can hear Jussi Hurmola is there as well

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I have had a completely different experience on BB10, though everyone here certainly wants Sailfish's Android approach to be as good as possible. But to be fair, as of March 2013, BB World had 80% native apps and 20% that were Android Ports; and of the Android ports, I've never downloaded a single one with the problems you describe. Sideloaded Android apps I use on the Z10, like Netflix and Instagram, definitely work and definitely add value. Ported apps downloaded directly from BB World also worked well for me, though slight slow performance was sometimes observed with all ports.

I'm not sure of Sailfish's Android approach, but I think BB10 gives me confidence that the job can be done reasonably well--and 4.x compatibility being on the way this year for BB10 makes me think the same could be true for Sailfish.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
You sure on those percentages? I was sure they reached their large app count thanks to a larger % of Android apps than that.
I just hope Sailfish's implementation is better, or at the very least that it's comparable to BBX's...
If it's worse, then they've wasted a lot of time/resources/energy when they could've taken a different tack.

Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
As you can hear Jussi Hurmola is there as well
How do you know that's Jussi? Isn't it just a Finnish journalist?

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-05-14 at 08:20. Reason: typo

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Marc Dillon answers: Why Jolla?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXqS8MbMFVU

Jolla's Marc Dillon on QWERTY smartphones:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ0btrtQ5Fc

This is great news!

Edit:
The whole interview will be online tomorrow (Tuesday)
I still say the first device is NOT QWERTY but maybe later.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Well, that's a start, but that's not the whole Sailfish yet. We are yet to see what will happen to the rest of the system, and especially core applications like e-mail client and the rest.
I doubt the apps like browser, mediaplayer, email will be open.

But atleast the apps that need to be updated and plugins for X/Y/Z webservice SHOULD be open. So we don't get same **** problems as in the case of N9 where dropbox plugin doesnt work since dropboxAPI changes. (Not using it myself but saw thread about this issue on TMO)

Moderator | Posts: 3,717 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
The whole interview with Marc Dillon with interesting questions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9fX1-Y9AdQ

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
You sure on those percentages? I was sure they reached their large app count thanks to a larger % of Android apps than that.
I just hope Sailfish's implementation is better, or at the very least that it's comparable to BBX's...
If it's worse, then they've wasted a lot of time/resources/energy when they could've taken a different tack.
I think the BB CEO came out and said it.
Didn't give exact percentages but said something "roughly".

In any case, lets understate and say 70% are ports (Native, Qt, or otherwise) and 30% are Android Apps.

That's still a great figure. Especially when you factor in it surpasses 100,000. In fact, its phenomenal for a new start-up ecosystem.

Compared to WP8 which has about 150,000 all native apps, and more "top tier" Apps. But that took MS about 2 years to obtain.

The way I look at it as a point system:

Windows 7 - 90/100 (many AAA and indie "Apps" and Games, not touch friendly)
iOS - 60/100 (many AAA and some indie Apps, very polished)
Android - 45/100 (some AAA and many indie Apps, not quite polished)
PS3/Xbox - 40/100 (many AAA and few indie Apps/Games, very polished)
WP8 - 25/100 (few AAA and some indie Apps, quite polished)
Blackberry - 15/100 (few AAA and few indie Apps, not quite polished)

I'm flattered

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
Sailfish UI leaked?

The new Sailfish phone UI leaked, May 20 will showcase the the first Sailfish phone, the screen not less than 5 inches.

Tags
dave ate sail, fishing jolla, n9 sailfish, nokia n950, sailfish, sailfish os, sailfish video, where?