Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
i'm not quite up to date in how far Jolla contributes to Mer and / or Nemo if they do, but isn't Jolla in fact simply using the open source projects (Mer and Nemo)?
as they used the open sourced part of MeeGo and, as ex-NOKIAns, had no difficulty writing the missing firmware.
well, ZogG meanwhile posted similarly, but anyway...

Jolla Community...
Yes they do almost everythin of theyr coreUI seems open source to. Just take a look in the sailfishSDK Silicia components is there under BSD license(right now) and I expect it to be public git repository for that soon.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Ofcourse everything is about profit what on earth do you expect? How on earth do you get any income without money?

I dont know sometimes it seems people doesn't work and only get money from mom/daddy especially does people who don't realise everything is about money in the end. You have to pay your bill for got sake.

I personally soon getting out of job. I would mind start new business as FOSS consultant but its very hard this days.
Linux is opensource\free and profitable. Digium, Mozilla, Linux Distros, and more.
And again — surely they need money, but one way is to talk and get money, other way is to communicate and not just advertise and promise "peace in the whole world". If someone deliver something good, i think it would not need any advertising.

Originally Posted by misterc View Post

as the saying goes... Totgesagte leben lδnger
the proper one is :
"The king is dead, long live the king!"

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
Linux is opensource\free and profitable. Digium, Mozilla, Linux Distros, and more.
And again — surely they need money, but one way is to talk and get money, other way is to communicate and not just advertise and promise "peace in the whole world". If someone deliver something good, i think it would not need any advertising.

LOL no need for advertising? Seriously?

And about your question not answered on IRC. Ofcourse if you ask them about the device they will not answer such questions.

LOL no need for advertising? Seriously?
there is difference between promoting product, and saying "it would be best", "revolutionary".
Do not promote ideas and poems, do actual things, deliver!

And about your question not answered on IRC. Ofcourse if you ask them about the device they will not answer such questions.
didn't ask of device.
Oh, and person i asked is good pal, that helps a lot actually.
The point is that ideas of people, developers is one thing, what company would do after all is other thing.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Paris
Now that's too bad......but not all geeks are fat and cannot run

..and about the nordic sportsmen - I remember one of the favourite jokes on another forum (some years ago) : when Jarkko Nieminen (a Finnish tennis player) was about to lose a game someone was always asking this question : "Is Nieminen finnish?"

Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
[...]

Exactly, the speculation site about how future would be good and just talking in general with no fact, info, snip of code is promotion site and not community.
remember Maemo?
bet you do
well, Maemo was the archetypical proof that open source can only be a commercial failure.
NOKIA's decision not to build in a GSM module until the N900 was very likely a contributing factor to the commercial failure of the Maemo project.
nonetheless, open-source can not be a commercial undertaking. its licensing mostly excludes it, as most open source software come with the requirement to make any changes available as source code.
can't run a profitable business like this.

and don't give me the rubbish of ANDroid being open-source, respectively being profitable; Google gives ANDroid away practically for free and doesn't make money with it but with the advertisement they keep the right to display on any device that runs it
and the companies that license ANDroid making money is not equal to Google making money.

so, Jolla.
not sure what you expect from them, except that they go bankrupt like Maemo / MeeGo did.
if Jolla wants to have even a remote chance to break even, they have to do it differently.
maybe you haven't learned anything from the Maemo / MeeGo experiment, but the ppl @ Jolla (a lot of whom MADE Maemo / MeeGo) did, thankfully.

from your argument with Mike, looks like you are a dreamer...
  • Mozilla Foundation profitable? i don't think so
  • Digium, Inc. is a privately held communications technology company based in Huntsville
    privately hold, thus they don't have to waste their hard earned $$$$$s on greedy shareholders but can reinvest every cent of it
  • the only Linux distro which made a PBO and survived to tell the story is RedHat. and in 2004 they had to create that bastard worthless Fedora to get a better grip on "who runs RedHat software" (can't access the repositories after 30 days trial unless buying a license; that's definitely not open source, sorry)

check your facts, pls
open source is not profitable and can not be run as a commercial public quoted company
period

Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Your memory fails, indeed, because it wasn't sabotaged by any Council nor Board members, but by a Jolla employee, that wasn't involved in the first communications, and decided to talk to other community members in different terms than his collegues previously had talked with Board.
then why didn't Council or Board keep talking to the ppl they were in contact with initially?

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
And formula 1

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Tags
dave ate sail, fishing jolla, n9 sailfish, nokia n950, sailfish, sailfish os, sailfish video, where?