Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
Does even anyone read the 2nd post? That article is linked there since yesterday.......
Not that often. Mybee you can add it to your footer?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Why do people here beleive the otherhalf is a active component? If I look at ANY video there is NO contacts shown or anything else that make it possile to use other half as an active components.
It's because by description and possible use cases Dillon mentioned, it's the only possibility:

- You cannot use additional battery without physical connector to the device
- It's certainly not an easy task (alhtough it's possible) to create additional flash for camera without physical connectors

If I remember correct, Dillon actually confirmed this in some interview. The concept is very interesting, but it's likely that Jolla has to create those other halfs by themselves. At least in the beginning.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
It's because by description and possible use cases Dillon mentioned, it's the only possibility:

- You cannot use additional battery without physical connector to the device
- It's certainly not an easy task (alhtough it's possible) to create additional flash for camera without physical connectors

If I remember correct, Dillon actually confirmed this in some interview. The concept is very interesting, but it's likely that Jolla has to create those other halfs by themselves. At least in the beginning.
I have not seen any interview where he actually CONFIRMS it REALLY is possible with external battery. on he pressevent hje just talked bout change color etc to favourite artist etc...

The rest seems just been question asked by otthers but he only says "maybe".

I really want some confirmattion that there actually EXISTS some psysical contact. not only all this hopes. Also where should they put all the stuff people talks about? I mean if you take a look at the pictures the mainhalf takes lot more place than the backhalf. There is no place but any big stuff at the back?

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I really want some confirmattion that there actually EXISTS some psysical contact. not only all this hopes. Also where should they put all the stuff people talks about? I mean if you take a look at the pictures the mainhalf takes lot more place than the backhalf. There is no place but any big stuff at the back?
Me too. Look at mugen covers, can be done if you sacrifice thinness (if it means HWKB+battery, I would happily, N900 thickness is no problem for me)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
The example they gave with the album during the presentation included a "as well as transferring the songs to your phone", which can't happen via NFC alone. Distributing powered back covers with Bluetooth would be ridiculous so I can safely deduct that there are physical contacts. The flash example is another proof.

Both BB10 phones as well as 808 have physical contacts to the cover if only to enable NFC so mechanically adding 5 more contacts to have full usb shouldn't be an issue.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Actually that's the easiest part to be implemented as totally open source, and I would really like to see all drivers opened.

Why do you think HW drivers are so difficult to open? The chip/module vendors should have nothing against that, since the use of the drivers implies the use of the respective HW blocks, which implies higher sales for the said HW blocks.
I think they are reluctant to open them because they hold much info about the hardware design which would give advantage to their competitors if it is revealed. It's chicken and egg though as if everybody had open drivers the field would be level again and innovation easier for all. Same story as with open standards.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Couldnt resist Jolla mania....
It's nice you're back, because the only thing more pathetic than us fanboys breathlessly waiting for Jolla to give us another 4 bytes worth of information is you coming here to needle us about it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 160 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Spain
Pretty much interesting statement here https://twitter.com/JollaHQ/status/336538555851628544

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Didn't Dillon say you were only limited by your imagination (with regards to the possibilities for the Other half)?

I think they need to release as much info as possible about the OH ASAP, including circuit diagrams, APIs, and 3D drawings of the interface with the back of the phone half. This would enable the community to design their own OHs. They could tap in to the Maker Culture and find another market to exploit.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
Didn't Dillon say you were only limited by your imagination (with regards to the possibilities for the Other half)?

He says it almost verbatim in this interview. He also himself mentions examples of use as a bigger flash and bigger battery, so it's not just rumour.

What puzzles me is that they focus *so much* on being able to change the colors when they apparently plan to provide a way to actually change and adapt the hardware components (und thus use cases) of your phone.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fawz For This Useful Post:

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red