Active Topics

So at the company I work for, one of the programming managers (who likes to tout that he's the "Information Technology Manager" wants me to create an email address so he can sign up a bitbucket account to upload 'enhancements' to Open Source Porjects.

I informed him that it is frowned upon to do that, since the correct way would be to submit patches to the main project's maintainer(s) to be accepted.

He claims that's certainly a step, tries to point me to sections of the LGPL (which I'm quite familiar with) and side steps the whole issue by saying that they can't wait for maintainers to accept the enhancements.

I then replied to him that he didn't have to, but that creating a bitbucket account to keep the source code there still wasn't the right thing to do, but to submit the patches, then just apply the patches to the code they're using themselves.

Would everyone agree with this? To me, he's basically attempting to fork the code.

slaapliedje
I have figured out the reason 'smartphones' were invented. They are for reading the internet while pooping. This means the best smartphone ever created is the N9. It is the only one that works so well single-handed.

Last edited by slaapliedje; 2013-06-13 at 03:58.

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
I am not an expert.

But I'd tend to agree with your view. Anybody is free to patch stuff, and encouraged to send patches upstream.

If I understood correctly, your colleage wants to take programX, patch it and upload it as programY, thus disconnecting programY from programX.

Are you working for Ubuntu?

Originally Posted by reinob View Post
I am not an expert.

But I'd tend to agree with your view. Anybody is free to patch stuff, and encouraged to send patches upstream.

If I understood correctly, your colleage wants to take programX, patch it and upload it as programY, thus disconnecting programY from programX.

Are you working for Ubuntu?
Ha ha! Nope, but it sure seems that way at times. He is an Apple fan...

That is the short end of it. Taking program A and making it program A+. So that when searching for program A, you find A+, download, have issues, then complain to program A that it's not working right, and maintainers of program A have absolutely no clue what's going on.

slaapliedje
I have figured out the reason 'smartphones' were invented. They are for reading the internet while pooping. This means the best smartphone ever created is the N9. It is the only one that works so well single-handed.

Please note, I didn't agree to any of it. I think it's the wrong approach and told him so. I encouraged him to work with the community around the project (he'd never tell me which project it was, only hinted that it was LGPL).

slaapliedje

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
By the way this can be interpreted another way too. For example since github made it so easy to "fork", forking the whole repo and then instead of submitting patches you do merge requests is (as far as I have seen) considered good practice, as long as you keep rebasing over the upstream code regularly.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
By the way this can be interpreted another way too. For example since github made it so easy to "fork", forking the whole repo and then instead of submitting patches you do merge requests is (as far as I have seen) considered good practice, as long as you keep rebasing over the upstream code regularly.
Yeah, I wouldn't have a problem with that, but I also know that's not how this is going to go down. This to them is a snatch and grab, and highly doubt they're every going to (even if they intended to from the beginning) end up contributing to the main project.

Granted, I could be wrong, but I'm basing this on knowing the person.

slaapliedje

Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
Of course......there is no accusation from me on this...hell IMO it all depends on the circumstances...doing the right thing may be the worst...doing the wrong may be the best...If the organization in question were say the NPRK regime I would say you were doin' gods work...if it were the society for the preservation of the endangered white panda and babies with rare epidermal diseases...well...the shoe would be on the other foot...and you would have a cubicle in hell somewhere... hehe
So really man... I'm not getting my back up over it...no worries eh?
I wish you luck in dealing with it though.
I do agree, it really comes down to what the project is. Some projects are simply dead, and there isn't much upstream support anyhow. But knowing this group, they probably didn't do much more than "Hey, this project is cool, if only it did X. Let's just grab it and do it ourselves."

slaapliedje

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
If he really can't wait for the maintainer to pull his patches, it's totally alright to throw patched L/GPL source on Github etc.

Just to be nice, though, include the revision it was forked from, and a changelog for each patch to the source, and make sure to tell the maintainer where he can pull patches from.

Which I had also suggested. But as I told him, unless I actually knew what project it was, I couldn't really give any advice, and sadly, he wasn't even asking for any, he said the only reason I even knew about it at all is because he wanted to follow procedures and ask me to create the email (I'm the email administrator, among other things). If he actually wanted to follow procedures, he would have used our crappy ticket system for getting the email created, which I told him to do, and he still wouldn't. So I wouldn't really expect him to follow any advice from me either.

slaapliedje