Active Topics

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
Yes, it's only Elop. He was the one who killed MeeGo, badmouthed Symbian and pronounced its death and decided to focus solely on WP7. Why blame the guys in the marketing dept who had to follow what that MS mole wanted?
Because the chief marketing is also an ex-microsofty, pushing WP7.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
The last days of Rome. Untill today I have to admit I still had a little hope, that things would change and Nokia would through out the mole and make a comeback. But this is really the end I guess so many people fired, meltemi dropped etc. It's kind of hard to believe how just 2 years ago we were all fired up about meego and now we have nothing not even meltemi. It's been an amazing run though too bad it ended so early.

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by Zoxir View Post
The last days of Rome. Untill today I have to admit I still had a little hope, that things would change and Nokia would through out the mole and make a comeback. But this is really the end I guess so many people fired, meltemi dropped etc. It's kind of hard to believe how just 2 years ago we were all fired up about meego and now we have nothing not even meltemi. It's been an amazing run though too bad it ended so early.
Don't you worry. Linux mobile handsets will continue to be available, and I am sure another amazing Linux phone, even more capable than the N9x devices, will show up soon. Already, the BB10 is looking rather good. But, even if Ballmer manages to kill that one, another one will pop up, and then another one, and another one. That is one great thing about Linux and open source in general, it cannot go broke. It will continue to improve and to grow. Sometimes slowly, sometimes faster, but it cannot be stopped.

You heard that Steve and Stephen?

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Originally Posted by Zoxir View Post
Yeah I agree - I was going to buy Nokia shares in the next few weeks, thinking that Nokia would make a comeback. But it's the end for them now
Only way i can see anything happening is if the government steps in

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
Don't you worry. Linux mobile handsets will continue to be available, and I am sure another amazing Linux phone, even more capable than the N9x devices, will show up soon.
By whom I wonder? So far, each and every Linux mobile handset has been handled with reckless abandon and rather poorly.

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Elop is a *****************************, nevermind.
All those that were in doubt about Elop are you ready to sign the petition on change.org to get rid of Elop now?

Last edited by aironeous; 2012-06-15 at 03:19.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by aironeous View Post
Elop is a *****************************, nevermind.
All those that were in doubt about Elop are you ready to sign the petition on change.org to get rid of Elop now?
Too late. The damage has been done. And the tipping point was months ago.

It will take a serious change of events to turn Nokia around now.

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
I wonder what Qt will be doing now. If no new Nokia device will be using it, that makes Qt totally redundant for Nokia. Funding from Nokia will dry-up etc.
Will there even be an updated QtSDK? Will Nokia sell Qt, or will it be killed by firing all the workers?
At the Blackberry Playbook OS 2.0 presentation it was said that they would support Qt for the OS. Maybe RIM is buying it?
Speaking as one of the people contributing to Qt, as an open source project: it can't be sold, or at least, the value of what they can sell wouldn't be that great. The whole project is available under the LGPL, and there's no putting that genie back in the bottle, meaning that if there was someone who theoretically wanted to take Qt purely commercial, it'd get forked, and they'd be left with nothing but a very expensive trademark. It'd take a very stupid buyer to realise the risks and take it on anyway.

Qt is also bigger than Nokia, as of a year ago. Granted, Nokia is still one of the largest Qt contributors, but by no means the only one. RIM are also contributing, and looking at opening offices in Germany soley to work on Qt (and after this news, I'd be surprised if they didn't accelerate those plans and grab some Nokians before they go elsewhere), Intel still contribute, as do various consultancies like KDAB, myself, woboq, etc.

As for the future of Qt on mobile, I strongly suspect will continue through RIM, and to a lesser extent, ports to other platforms: I have recently been working at getting Qt 5 building on Android (and most of my patches are sitting in upstream, meaning it's easy for anyone else to work on it too) - but don't forget that the world is bigger than just the mobile space - there are many people using Qt in embedded environments commercially, and plenty of open source users.

Qt isn't going anywhere in the longer term.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
Yes, it's only Elop. He was the one who killed MeeGo, badmouthed Symbian and pronounced its death and decided to focus solely on WP7. Why blame the guys in the marketing dept who had to follow what that MS mole wanted?
Because in the symbian days they did nothing to inform the world that symbian phones were smartphones. You only saw those crappy forst-crop androids and the iPhone. And symbian was better than both back then. And many more blunders.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ San Francisco, CA
Microsoft TODAY announced that they have a 'major announcement' for Monday June 18th. . . I'm kinda worried they might buy Nokia. This one is really bothering me, I hope I'm not looking into it too much however it is on the same day that Nokia laid off 10,000 people and cut Meltemi development.

Tags
downward_spiral, fu_flop, memories