Poll: Which NFP name(s) do you prefer?
Poll Options
Which NFP name(s) do you prefer?

TMO

Talk.MOS.Org

MOS = Maemo operating systems

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
I'm throwing in the following suggestion: "calima foundation"

Hildon Foundation, I don't know why, just seems the same old elitist bunch of people doing their stuff...Just an honest opinion no attacks please...
Hildon for me sounds much alike hilton. It has an elitist and above the rest touch.

I think that Aeolos foundation is an appropriate name. He was the king of all winds.
Sounds nice to me, too.

Just my 2 cents.

brkn

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
TMO

Talk.MOS.Org

MOS = Maemo operating systems
This is my new favorite as I want TMO to remain ...But just read thro' the By-Laws thread and it seems like maemo.org will indeed be transferred to the new NFP in that case a name for the NFP would suffice...

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-09-03 at 18:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
But just read thro' the By-Laws thread and it seems like maemo.org will indeed be transferred to the new NFP
Nice ! Not only because all the broken links (bot digital and abstract) that would result otherwise.

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
gnulinuxinternettablettalk.org

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 178 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ SF Bay Area
Aeolos is reasonable - it ties into the "wind name" theme that ran through the internet tablets and phones.

However, I don't get the contention that Hildon is elitist in some way. (On a side note, what's wrong with "elite"? But I digress.)

Hildon actually refers to something that underlay the tablets and, at least, the N900 (not so sure how much survived in the N9.) It also lay beneath the S90 of the 7710 and may even have formed the basis of the 9500 Communicator UI.

There's history there, functionality there, demonstrated flexibility there. Real software created by real, and very creative, people. And any of us who had one (or more likely more - I've owned 5) of the devices supported by it got real value from it.

So, while I recognize Aeolos is applicable, it is abstract as has been pointed out. Hildon was and is real and much more a part of this suite of devices than the mythology.

Just my thoughts.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kjmackey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Why not use the Wikipedia-suggested spelling Aeolus?

Continuing with this pattern, I propose the Spanish spelling, Eolo, which is shorter. Besides, Maemo was pronounced as if it was a Spanish word

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by kjmackey View Post
However, I don't get the contention that Hildon is elitist in some way. (On a side note, what's wrong with "elite"? But I digress.)

I understand where you are coming from but then those with the N9 will push for Harmattan to get a mention...IMO at this time when we need everyone united using Hildon/Harmattan or whatever that may cause divisiveness within the community is not advisable...My 2cents...Also especially after the council awards etc it has been laid bare quite obviously the friction that appears when the "old" and the "new" collide...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
In fact I wrote Aeolos before reading the wikipedia article. In Greek it's spelled Αίολος which would become Eolos by the standard Greek-Latin alphabet tranliteration.

I just thought Aeolos looks better and has the ae from maemo. Aeolus is the latin 'version' of the name (Latin names usually ended in -us, while Greek names end in -os)

By the way I secured the aeolosfoundation.org domain name just to be sure.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
^Is aeolos.org still free? *EDIT* Damn it, even aeolos.org is taken!
Eolos reads a bit more simply to me, I find Aeolos to be a bit odd, but they're both weird/abstract anyway I guess.
I can't recall, were all the Maemo iterations named after winds in Finnish, or some in Greek/Latin?
I do so love the fact that Eolos or Aeolus was the God of all winds, it ties in nicely with the fact that we want everything united/consolidated.
I'm still a bit skeptical of abstract/mythical names though, I've developed a nervous twitch when I hear them
eolos.org seems to be taken (seems like a personal site, not a co. one), aeolus.org seems to be taken too
Maybe we can convince the owners of all 3 to offer them for an amount that's reasonable for a NFP organisation?

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-09-20 at 07:50. Reason: clarify

Tags
libremobile.org, manemo-maelon, theaeolosguild!, vote mos!