Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Latest update does have hub and calls/sms. The UI feels overdesigned though

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
It leaves me with the same "taste" as Sailfish did.

---> They are trying too much <---

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HELLASISGREECE For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
Looks way more complicated than Harmattan tbh (both BB10 & Sailfish)
Yes I think so too, but on the other hand BB10 is designed to handle more complex use cases than Harmattan... e.g. the Contact integrates nicely with various services (more like M$ People Hub than Harmattan's half-*** attempt). Notification is also more flexible, though I do miss the at-a-glance weather information.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sony123 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
Notification is also more flexible, though I do miss the at-a-glance weather information.
All the reviews have complained about the Notifications that you don't really know who has sent you a notification or what the notification is about. One has to go to the Hub and hope you don't have your previous page there but the main Hub to actually see the notification... That's a mess IMO...

Gesture-based navigation is always given positive feedback but just like some posters here, reviews feel the gestures are too complex and a mess actually...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
All the reviews have complained about the Notifications that you don't really know who has sent you a notification or what the notification is about. One has to go to the Hub and hope you don't have your previous page there but the main Hub to actually see the notification... That's a mess IMO...

Gesture-based navigation is always given positive feedback but just like some posters here, reviews feel the gestures are too complex and a mess actually...
Yes, BB took a gamble on this Hub concept. It is prone to be overflown by design, but after using it for a while I think it is not as bad as reviewers said it to be.

Dev alpha firmware lacks many features so I don't know what the complete picture looks like. But for now, there are notifications icons on lockscreen as well as when I trigger "peeking". The icons has counters on them, just like Jolla, and they give me an idea of what I should look into in Hub and filtering is readily available. One thing reviewers failed to mention is, when you somehow get lost you can always trigger "peeking" again by pulling up, or you can click the tab on the left side and you can see which services has new events and how many unread items there are. It is a little complicated but again with this complexity you gets flexibility. Not that bad for me, but yes there are room for improvements.

BB has refined the gesture a lot. At the beginning when I got dev alpha I thought BB has no future because the gestures were well implemented. But now I like it as much as N9's swipe UI. Give it some time and you get used to it and just like Harmattan, it makes better sense once you get the hang of it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sony123 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Germany
OS looks like meego

The Following User Says Thank You to d@niel For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I don't know the gestures seem unintuitive. Why swipe from the bottom to peek to the hub which is on the left. And why not swipe the app outside of the screen to close it. Also the top swipe is completely undiscoverable and hides things, and is inconsistent (in app does different things than when at the home screen). Finally when swiping in app to the right it goes back like Sailfish. Why not get rid of the back button and toolbar then?

Edit: the app open animation is also like the old harmattan close animation. It changes to multitasking view then it zooms the app in. It gives you the visual hint where your app goes but it is not fluid. Feels like a glitch.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Last edited by qwazix; 2013-01-31 at 06:27.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
I think that the the BB10 UI on the Z10 looks and works just fine. The issues mentioned by reviewers were overblown, mostly stemming from lack of experience with the UI or simply straining for something to say.

Peek is easy, hub is easy, homescreen is easy, and app icons are easy. Everyone on this forum could master the Z10 in no time. There are small things that could be smoother or slightly redesigned, I agree. But on the whole, it is a nice phone. Maybe they will have BB10 QuickTweaks or something ;-).

Honestly, I felt that BB10 didn't take enough good ideas from the N9, as Harmattan still has many advantages over BB10. There should be a 'Close All' option in the multitasker. Downward swipe in app should close the app. The central view should be the Hub (like our notifcations page), because their target market will be more concerned with connectivity and information than they are with app distractions.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
Well, it looks interesting, though it may be not perfect. But i think this goes for Harmattan and all other systems at their day of launch too...

The main difference is, they most likely will put all their power into improving this system, which would be the exact opposite of what Nokia did with Harmattan.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I don't know the gestures seem unintuitive. Why swipe from the bottom to peek to the hub which is on the left. And why not swipe the app outside of the screen to close it. Also the top swipe is completely undiscoverable and hides things, and is inconsistent (in app does different things than when at the home screen). Finally when swiping in app to the right it goes back like Sailfish. Why not get rid of the back button and toolbar then?

Edit: the app open animation is also like the old harmattan close animation. It changes to multitasking view then it zooms the app in. It gives you the visual hint where your app goes but it is not fluid. Feels like a glitch.
The most annoying gesture for me is the inconsistent swiping-down you mentioned. Some apps have their own setting menus, others just invokes the default one.

Otherwise, I can live with the other gestures.

I didn't realize swiping to the right goes back, which app does that?

Tags
bb 10, blackberry