Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Also sony123 and qwazix,

Now that your'll have BB10 loaded what's all this hype about 70k apps being there at launch? Some say that 1k are native apps while the remaining 69k are Android ports, Web apps, downright ridiculous apps and Playbook apps that are unusable due to small buttons etc...

Could your'll share a bit more on it?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Now that your'll have BB10 loaded what's all this hype about 70k apps being there at launch?
PR bullshite as usual. Of course many will be glorified web links and crude ports, just as with any new platform. They just want to get the numbers up so they can have a nice big headline figure reported by the bloggers and tech journos. I don't think it's the best way to attract users to a platform. I think most people are savvy enough to notice if the quality is poor.

My website

GitHub

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 488 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ USA around Chicago
Free app quality is no were near what we have on our N9.

Most game apps are web games

Still there are some good apps.

My bigger problem is that dev device only connecting Tmobile USA edge. Not even 3G.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Does it have 3G/4G support?

The Following User Says Thank You to abyzthomas For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Also sony123 and qwazix,

Now that your'll have BB10 loaded what's all this hype about 70k apps being there at launch? Some say that 1k are native apps while the remaining 69k are Android ports, Web apps, downright ridiculous apps and Playbook apps that are unusable due to small buttons etc...

Could your'll share a bit more on it?
The bolded, by me. section above seems to be true. Don't know actual numbers but I usually end up removing most of the apps I download. Never happened on the N9/00. Today the android runtime has crashed and all android apps come up as black, I presume until reboot.
Another interesting experience is that I downloaded a fine android pdf viewer, but the mail client still complains there's no viewer. Fortunately there's access to the filesystem from both apps so I did my job, but I wouldn't expect that app to pass QA.

Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
The most annoying gesture for me is the inconsistent swiping-down you mentioned. Some apps have their own setting menus, others just invokes the default one.

Otherwise, I can live with the other gestures.

I didn't realize swiping to the right goes back, which app does that?
I noticed it works about everywhere after the latest update, but it surely works in the hub.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
I also find myself deleting downloaded apps more often than not : p

Android compatibility layer is a double sword... I only came across a few good apps and hope there is a way to filter out Android apps. Qt apps are currently not much better, many of them for playbook and don't work well on BB10. Native Cascade apps are the best, of course. However, good titles are showing up day by day, e.g today I saw the familiar Sports Tracker.

It is a shame I couldn't get the most basic Facebook/Twitter to work on dev alpha. It seems like a common problem...

The Following User Says Thank You to sony123 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
I heard that BB10 can be installed on the Playbook. Would you recommend that I buy one now?

Last edited by vetsin; 2013-01-31 at 16:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to vetsin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
I wouldn't...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vetsin View Post
I heard that BB10 can be installed on the Playbook. Would you recommend that I buy one now?
I was thinking the same thing since I can buy a new 64gb Playbook for under $200.00. But I think it's best to wait until they release the update for BB10 and see how it runs on the Playbook. Also, the price might drop a little more by then.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheN9er For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
I also find myself deleting downloaded apps more often than not : p

Android compatibility layer is a double sword... I only came across a few good apps and hope there is a way to filter out Android apps. Qt apps are currently not much better, many of them for playbook and don't work well on BB10. Native Cascade apps are the best, of course. However, good titles are showing up day by day, e.g today I saw the familiar Sports Tracker.

It is a shame I couldn't get the most basic Facebook/Twitter to work on dev alpha. It seems like a common problem...
I resorted to the mobile twitter website which works really well. One launcher that I downloaded couldn't do copy&paste or open outside links.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Does anyone have a Z10? I wonder if there are any performance differences that matter between it and the Dev Alpha devices.

I am also curious about the app situation in BB World. I saw that Angry Birds is available now, but what about some of the other show-stopper apps that they announced were "committed to" BB10, like WhatsApp, Skype, etc.? Also, I saw a vid for a free app called Nobex radio that looked solid, plus I know that some of the developers on this forum code for BB10, so it can't be too bad, right?

If apps are of this quality, that'd be good enough for me: Nobex Radio for BlackBerry 10, http://youtu.be/97kbqyE-ZH0

Last edited by Hacker; 2013-01-31 at 21:43.

Tags
bb 10, blackberry