Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Since I'm doomed to do my term on next council ;-) I think I may state here that I'd be very interested in Mentalist joining in. Though it's not exactly according to procedure to accept late nominations, I think the whole point of this "quarantine" period was to ensure fair votes. Since there's no vote at all, how's it any good to keep a volunteer out of council due to being 3 days late?
I suggest that whatever it is that you contemplate Mentalist doing with you, just go ahead and do it (assuming no objections from other council members). You don't need to be in council to be a volunteer.

Though it's not exactly according to procedure to accept late nominations, I think the whole point of this "quarantine" period was to ensure fair votes. Since there's no vote at all, how's it any good to keep a volunteer out of council due to being 3 days late?
Unfortunately, Woody has already declared the new council without an election because there were exactly three candidates and he is unavailable now due to a work project. To his credit, he finished off his election duties before he left. To answer your question, this circumstance is why it's good to have rules.

So, nothing against having Mentalist join in, and you can have him do whatever you want him to do, crown him a knight of maemo if it makes you feel good, but I don't see how he can be a formal member of council under the current circumstances.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I suggest that whatever it is that you contemplate Mentalist doing with you, just go ahead and do it (assuming no objections from other council members). You don't need to be in council to be a volunteer.

Unfortunately, Woody has already declared the new council without an election because there were exactly three candidates and he is unavailable now due to a work project. To his credit, he finished off his election duties before he left. To answer your question, this circumstance is why it's good to have rules.

So, nothing against having Mentalist join in, and you can have him do whatever you want him to do, crown him a knight of maemo if it makes you feel good, but I don't see how he can be a formal member of council under the current circumstances.
Fine, nobody asked me whether I even accept the "vote". Hell, aiui there's still 3 days until any imaginary vote even starts. So you simply can't declare new council right now, and I simply withdraw my candidature.

So we're now at a potential council of 2, and nomination period has to get extended by 4 weeks. I assume that's what's going to happen now, and I hope mentalist will use the opportunity to throw his hat in the ring, as well as hopefully a few others will.

I've no problem with this. I just think it's a bit too silly to stick to rules the verbatim way if there's obviously just no proper interpretation of the meaning of those rules for the current situation. Anyway, here you are. nomination period extended by four weeks!

cheers
jOERG

ps: ponder about this particularly meaningful point in election rules: >>If fewer than 5 candidates stand for election, the 3 with the most votes are elected to the council.<< ;-D
If we already try to cling to the rules verbatim, without applying common sense to interpret them, then I suggest we do for all of those rules. (it never occured to me that the rules actually are rather nonsensical to switch to a 3 heads council immediately after first nomination period rather than requiring at least FIVE candidates or nomination period extension will happen. That's pretty paradox, but anyway... There's obviously no mentioning of no public vote happening when there are 4 or 3 candidates, rather there are "most votes" mentioned, so if we follow rules, elections have to start. But since we're down to less than 3 now, we basically have no other choice than extension of nomination period - though actually the situation is undefined by letters of election rules)

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2012-10-04 at 18:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Fine, nobody asked me whether I even accept the "vote". Hell, aiui there's still 3 days until any imaginary vote even starts.
You accepted the nomination here: http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...er/005629.html

aiui there's still 3 days until any imaginary vote even starts.
An election including over 5000 people is not a simple thing to be started and ended casually. There's only a day and a fraction before a vote would have occurred:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=86630

So you simply can't declare new council right now
I didn't declare it; the council chair did. And he had every right to do so. We even had someone complaining on this forum that he had an obligation to do it earlier than he did it.

The problem is just that you want to nominate whenever you want instead of when everyone else has to nominate, and more disturbingly, willing to use your position on council to cause havoc to get what you want. Council doesn't even matter that much anyway anymore. I say again, there is nothing preventing Mentalist from volunteering and doing whatever it is that you want him to do.

Last edited by SD69; 2012-10-04 at 18:56.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Please, really please don't jeopardize the community transition for the sake of following rules. I don't believe that stepping down after the nomination period has ended is any more "rule-abiding" than accepting an extra member in tue same period anyway.

The real "by the book" solution would be to form the new council, one or two people to step down so that new elections have to be announced. But I feel this will be a catastrophy. If you fear the shitstorm better keep the 3member council and run a referendum with question "do you accept adding Mentalist Traceur to the current council?"

Anyway I vote that he is appointed a seat without further consideration as we are short of councillors and that an amendment to the rules is done so if there are <5 candidates we accept new candidates for two weeks after the nomination closes.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Fine, nobody asked me whether I even accept the "vote". Hell, aiui there's still 3 days until any imaginary vote even starts. So you simply can't declare new council right now, and I simply withdraw my candidature.

So we're now at a potential council of 2, and nomination period has to get extended by 4 weeks.
Unbelievable...

If you're willing to block the formation of a council because you didn't get your way, then please follow your toys out of the pram and stay there. We don't need this crap from the people who are supposed to represent us.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
Those thanks mean that I would like to see Mentalist in Council too
Wouldn't we rather have people in the council who at least care enough for the whole thing so that they nominate themselves in time? Just wondering...

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
You know what is funniest here?

Mentalist was interested in candidature for BoD, AFAIK, not Council. Not to mention, that he never asked to include him bu abiding rules - he just asked if voting period got extended (absolutely understandable question, as 24 before end of nomination period, there were only 2 candidates), or not. From reading his posts in this thread, he is absolutely fine with accepting, that period for submitting got closed.

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Council doesn't even matter that much anyway anymore.
No, really? So why the hell current Council, (and soon-to-be BoD) insist on keeping Council at all, despite 0 interest in candidacy for it?

Also, some times ago, I've asked (with many "+1" from others) what interest we have in keeping this position separated for BoD - I've provided many arguments against it. Unfortunately, current Council/BoD doesn't even cared to answer such question (sending "erm" representative - aka chair - to do so ad-persona attacks, instead).

Is it the way You're planning to "rule" Hildon Foundation - by enforcing Your ideas no matter of merit (or lack of it), without carrying for any support for them, from Community side?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

OK, I'm absolutely convinced. This is NOT what I'm willing to waste time for. I'll take advice of lma for the best I heard. CYA

NB i'm not yet any council member, and I've not asked for anything anybody considered unreasonable, it's just some seem so eager to get "victims" so they can avoid proper elections, while last election bent and broke all the timeframes you ever heard of, just for getting a new council established. I give a **** about a council without common affirmation, and since it's "not that important anymore" you're free to de-establish it now right away. I'm pleased I could help at least on *that*

I don't think your interpretation of council election rules is more sane or authoritative than mine, esp if you've been demonstrating what you think of sticking to those rules last election and this election as well. But one thing's for sure: If I'd take a duty in council, i'd need help of my ancestors in that role, and it doesn't sound like I could get *any*. Whatever, I've not been happy with this whole **** from beginning, and if I need silly flames, I move 5km to neighbour town with a scraf the colors of local football club.

I'm definitely out, feel happy with your council whatever it might look like. Probably it wouldn't have looked different if I never popped up here

aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2012-10-04 at 20:29.

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Is it the way You're planning to "rule" Hildon Foundation - by enforcing Your ideas no matter of merit (or lack of it), without carrying for any support for them, from Community side?

/Estel
believe me, nobody is *ever* going to "rule" a FOSS community. Nobody ever will enforce ideas on anybody else. If you (as a community member) see merit and competence, then you might adopt ideas, otherwise you say "GTFO", and that's what I'm doing now. And basically I give a flying F about hildon foundation as well, I knew I have to keep my private repo mirrors some 12 months ago, when everybody else told me "don't spread FUD! Don't be paranoid!"
Hell, I could run public mirror repos from my coffee purse, and grant anonymous access. I really don't need any foundation to make myself feel helpful. I also don't want to ***** with other members of that board about nonsense. I already told council and foundation are SERVICES bought to community by volunteers. If others feel their interpetation of rules (equally or worse tweaked than mine, and with questionable rationale) are better and I don't fit in... FIIIINE! Screw it, I never thought I'll earn a N950 this way ;-P (Honestly I would reject it if I got an offer)

now leaving this thread. A thousand thanks to those who suggested to me doing so, will make my life a lot easier. Hope same applies to you

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2012-10-04 at 20:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Oh, and if this wasn't clear from my previous posts: I withdraw my candidature for board.

Here you are: down to 5 (afaik), no vote either. Hope That Helps!

Anybody blaming me for NOT keeping my candiature for this much beloved postion that everybody wants to judge about but nobody has the bollocks to take the challange, you can meet me at night 3'o at the next dark corner, I'm prepared to deal with you

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2012-10-04 at 20:53.

Tags
council