Active Topics

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
[...]

Maemo is about as open in those regards. Have you forgotten that Maemo is closed-source enough that Mer couldn't succeed? What about the power management and connectivity daemons and other back-end operating system portions of Maemo that are fully closed, in addition to the drivers and applications you can't even uninstall without breaking the operating system (calendar, media player, etc)? At least, on Android, you can use the AOSP to build an operating system that at least WORKS without the closed-source portions.

[...]
you seem to forget that the Maemo kernel is available as source code, thus getting ride of those "dependencies" that break the system when removed (calendar, media player, etc) is merely a matter of rewriting the kernel & hildon parts. considering that this is all about ONE device (the venerable N900 ) nobody is willing to go to that extend. but if anyone cares (to push CSSU that far)...

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
you seem to forget that the Maemo kernel is available as source code, thus getting ride of those "dependencies" that break the system when removed (calendar, media player, etc) is merely a matter of rewriting the kernel & hildon parts. considering that this is all about ONE device (the venerable N900 ) nobody is willing to go to that extend. but if anyone cares (to push CSSU that far)...
You seem to forget that the kernel Maemo comes with, once removed of such impurities, is incredibly broken and works badly, or not at all, on the Nokia Maemo-intended devices--hence the recommended 'binary blobs' you need to build a WORKING kernel. By the way, there are more Maemo devices than the N900 from Nokia (770, N800, N810, N810WE). As I already mentioned before, Mer attempted to make a purely open Maemo translation and that failed miserably with no thanks to Nokia's closed-mindedness. So much for 'nobody is willing to go to that [extent].'
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Finland
He should blame Ahtisaari because he released the N9: that decision killed the Lumia.

the m$ way of increasing sales...
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/...ng-group/12221
forbid poeple to buy something else >¦-))))))))

You seem to forget that the kernel Maemo comes with, once removed of such impurities, is incredibly broken and works badly, or not at all, on the Nokia Maemo-intended devices--hence the recommended 'binary blobs' you need to build a WORKING kernel. By the way, there are more Maemo devices than the N900 from Nokia (770, N800, N810, N810WE). As I already mentioned before, Mer attempted to make a purely open Maemo translation and that failed miserably with no thanks to Nokia's closed-mindedness. So much for 'nobody is willing to go to that [extent].'
beg to differ...
what about nouveau?
it's the open source solution for Nvidia cards; the performances aren't (yet) on the level of Nvidia's binary drivers, but the alternative (to a closed source) package exists & works.
same goes for the ATI/AMD stuff (don't remember the o.s. name now)

i'm not saying it's easy and i myself wouldn't even now where to start, but it's possible...

another exemple?
the UOT
simply not supported by NOKIA and still MAG was able to implement it.

again, a matter of size of the community supporting the platform; N900 (NIT's and that Chinese clone you mentioned once) simply don't warrant the effort, alas
and the dedicated users of the N900 simply don't have the resources to do it all (again, more users would help there)
but as Pali proves with the kernel, little by little progress is done (don't shoot me on the details, really don't know how he does it)

Last edited by misterc; 2012-03-23 at 09:11.

Posts: 120 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Switzerland
the m$ way of increasing sales...
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/...ng-group/12221
forbid poeple to buy something else >¦-))))))))
Well...Microsoft uses much more "evil" instruments than that, of which most people don't even know about. That's just one reason to avoid that company Not that Apple (see article) needs any protection though ...

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
beg to differ...
what about nouveau?
it's the open source solution for Nvidia cards; the performances aren't (yet) on the level of Nvidia's binary drivers, but the alternative (to a closed source) package exists & works.
same goes for the ATI/AMD stuff (don't remember the o.s. name now)

i'm not saying it's easy and i myself wouldn't even now where to start, but it's possible...

another exemple?
the UOT
simply not supported by NOKIA and still MAG was able to implement it.

again, a matter of size of the community supporting the platform; N900 (NIT's and that Chinese clone you mentioned once) simply don't warrant the effort, alas
and the dedicated users of the N900 simply don't have the resources to do it all (again, more users would help there)
but as Pali proves with the kernel, little by little progress is done (don't shoot me on the details, really don't know how he does it)
What does ANY of that have to do with Maemo's intentional crippling by Nokia by choosing components that weren't open-source friendly and by closing off even their own software? Are you trying to divert the conversation toward something else that we weren't talking about?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
What are we talking about again?

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
about this?

http://www.gsmarena.com/it_is_decide...-news-4007.php

(one liners at the end )

What does ANY of that have to do with Maemo's intentional crippling by Nokia by choosing components that weren't open-source friendly and by closing off even their own software? Are you trying to divert the conversation toward something else that we weren't talking about?
okay, obviously we have a different point of view on this.
you say (correct me if i'm wrong)
NOKIA sabotaged Maemo & the whole NIT project, by not open sourcing their hardware
i say that Nvidia, ATI/AMD, TI (also providing silicon for the N900 btw) don't bother about open source
they couldn't care less
well, not quite
Nvidia & ATI/AMD (among others) take the time to provide BINARY drivers for their HW because not all the programs that professionals may use high-end graphic cards for are available on m$
it's a service to (some of) their customers
incidentally customers who buy $$$$$ configurations

what about N900, N8x0 and 770?
Maemo?
i say we should be thankful to NOKIA for having designed, manufactured and commercialized them and for still paying the bills for this / these site(s)
i think you were among those claiming that NOKIA never sold enough Maemo (OS200x) devices to make a difference anyway, no?

again, it's down to MAG, Pali and others who know how to reverse engineer some of the hardware
and some not, alas.

again, trying to give some perspective on the economic reality NOKIA was confronted with, even before Flop.

why do they keep designing & manufacturing new devices and developing & releasing new versions?
to sabotage it? doesn't make sense to me....

and Flop either could bet the farm on that or....
of course, sabotaging Symbian was plain dumb idiotic, but, hey... no brain, no pain

YOU: NOKIA sabotaged Maemo & all

ME: Maemo is only a "research project", not a commercially viable platform; it's up to the community to develop it

agree to disagree?

Tags
blame others, deluded fanboys, kidsbeingkids, lumiadork, ms will die, salesdroids, the elop flop, wp blows