Originally Posted by sts1976 View Post
Nothing is ever free especially here the UK. You have the 24 month contract to pay which would equate to around 500 or 600 pounds if your lucky.
Well here you have it.

http://news.o2.co.uk/2012/10/31/the-...s-coming-to-o2

To get the nexus free in the UK on O2 you will have to pay £36 per month for 24 months. That's £864 which doesn't include VAT. Add 20% vat and the grand total of £1036.80p which is 4 times the £240 cost of the phone.

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask

Last edited by sts1976; 2012-10-31 at 22:27.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sts1976 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
Well DUH! An SD card MAKES a smartphone! No SD card = NO SMARTPHONE!!!!111

Just like the N9 is a dumphone! The only REAL SMARTH PHONE IS TEH N900!!1111
no thats not why it's a dumb phone, if your read the article they state that users will be confused as to where the files should go, i.e on the internal system or the SD card, and it would end up confusing users. Which is pretty much stating they think the users are too stupid to understand where files go. Hence dumb phone for dumb users.

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
no thats not why it's a dumb phone, if your read the article they state that users will be confused as to where the files should go, i.e on the internal system or the SD card, and it would end up confusing users. Which is pretty much stating they think the users are too stupid to understand where files go. Hence dumb phone for dumb users.
I thought a smartphone meant easy to use for dumb people

E.g. I can be dumb, my phone is smart and helps me out.

Also, what good is a smarthphone, if you need a PhD in computer science just to use it?

Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
That's completely wrong. On mobile devices, for a given application, you always store files in the same place (the user doesn't have to know where), on a given media => if you have two storage devices, then, you cannot do it without user input anymore.
I have Android and that's just not right...

An off-topic question for all the Google cloud conspiracy theorists:

Why did Google let Samsung put an SD card slot in the new Chromebook

PORTS

1 x USB 3.0
1 x USB 2.0
1 x HDMI
Secure Digital (SD) card reader

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:

Also, what good is a smarthphone, if you need a PhD in computer science just to use it?
sure but removing an entire feature to just so they wouldnt "confuse" users seems like they wouldnt even trust users to learn where files go.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010

You really need a PhD to distinguish between music stored on an sd and music stored on internal memory?

That google argument is marketing ********. Phones don't come with a free sd anymore anyway, so any person that is smart enough to go buy one and slot it in, can distinguish between music stored on it and music stored internally. If you don't want the extra space you won't find an indication of it's existence in the android software anyway.

Another reason to have an sd card reader is that many people fill their phone's memory slowly over the years as they use them. So why pay a large sum of money up front to have your memory empty, when memory price will probably have halved when you really need it a year later. Plus you get to keep the old sd for swapping.

Lastly it's upgradeability. For some people, being able to upgrade the memory is all they want. MHz and RAM (or lack thereof) aren't even noticed by most users, they aren't tangible. Storage is.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Okay geniuses, you still haven't replied to daperl's question:

Why did Google let Samsung put an SD card slot in the new Chromebook?

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
The last time I checked the chromebook was a laptop. Fortunately they haven't yet started the race to the bottom with them, however win8 seems to be the start.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
They (OS builders) can't yet get away with locking down I/O on netbooks like that, but Microsoft is on the RT track.