Active Topics

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
So what, you reckon they're pulling exactly the ame crap they did with N900?
Isn't this time round supposed to be different, that's what they've been selling us.
This time they're serious, this is thetr mass-market/consumer focussed iteration of Maemo/N900.

I'll be mighty pissed is this turns out to be the same as the N900...
What about those recently buyable Symbian handsets (700/701/600) that were announced months after the N9?
Are they readily buyable in alltheir targeted countries now? I'd love to know that.
Because if they are, then the only explanation I can see, is that they're ****ing us over again.

I'm with you Mike **** eFlop
Denmark and Norway got the N9 a bit out of the blue, i mean they are the only two countries that have N9. Norway or Demark didn't even have any kind of official press statement about N9 release or anything.
So i would not judge the production numbers Finland Salo (and some other factory?) is able churn out N9's just yet. At least N9 isn't made in Korea.

N9 was the mass-market/consumer focussed iteration of Maemo/N900. There hasn't been anything mass market about it since February.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
So i would not judge the production numbers Finland Salo (and some other factory?) is able churn out N9's just yet. At least N9 isn't made in Korea.
N9 was the mass-market/consumer focussed iteration of Maemo/N900. There hasn't been anything mass market about it since February.
Not from the way they've been talking to us....
They've been suggesting very different device/release/support than the N900.

Australia will have it from next week, no doubt, but I'm concerned about the flow they're allowing so as to meet demand.
That's the story I wanna know, what are they playing at here??
I'm sure it'll be out in many other countries in the coming days/weeks, but will the same story play out with weak flow!?

I couldn't care less if it was made somewhere in Asia, if that mitigated production problems (if there really are any).
What's better for Nokia's bottom-line in-the-end, is that they can produce it in reasonable no's, if that's what demand is dictating.
If they constantly don't meet demand for extended periods, that's a yet another convenient little move to kill interest.

The first WP has very much the same industrial design...
Lets see if they have problems ramping-it-up, as others have suggested may simply be the problem for the N9.
If they clearly don't, then it may simply be that Nokia are deceptive wankers.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-10-02 at 07:23.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Not from the way they've been talking to us...
They've been suggesting very different device/release/support than the N900.
I would be genuinely interested to see quote that says that, comparing the release to N900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I'm talking about the sum-total of what we've observed.
If you don't get it by now, I'm not going to spell it all out.
CBF'd repeating/debating the same ****, just want Nokia to be ethical/competent.

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-10-02 at 07:08.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Gerbick,
Are you aware if the N9 is also being sold in Tijuana because I can just take the train down there and buy it and be back the same day or put an ad in craigslist for someone to get it for me for a fee.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by aironeous View Post
Gerbick,
Are you aware if the N9 is also being sold in Tijuana because I can just take the train down there and buy it and be back the same day or put an ad in craigslist for someone to get it for me for a fee.
I have no information at this moment about distribution outside of Mexico City, but once I do - I'll contact you directly.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I agree with a lot of what was said in that article. Specs only confuse even savvy people in most cases. This processor has a better SPECint than this one. This dual core SoC has a better efficiency than this one. Or this phone does this... and that. It's great to know the capability but ultimately it is about user experience.

It helps to have variety, no doubt. But ultimately if somebody could write the OS to the chipset and optimize the ever-living hell out of it, nobody would care if it were single core with 512mb of RAM. Throwing superb hardware at an unoptimized system is where we're at now - reminds me of the gigahertz races between Intel and AMD. They kept charging for 1ghz, the OS's stayed the same - very bloated and unoptimized.

Let's put it to you this way. I own an Atrix. Dual core, awesome graphics - play 9mm by Gameloft on it, looks incredible - and a full gig of RAM. Under 2.2.1, I didn't even have full usage of the friggin' gigabyte of RAM! Under 2.3.4, it shows up - but in both instances, I cannot tell you if it were beneficial to have that much RAM or not. And I'd consider myself a power user; the OS just really is either that good at putting services/applications that are not in focus to sleep, or the fact that I've trimmed down my starting services to something very minimal to begin with worked in my favor. Either way, I cannot say I've run into a benefit or negative with that phone and the amount of RAM.

I've actually switched back to my Dell Venue Pro as of last night. It has the standard fare 1ghz Qualcomm processor, internal 16gb memory (non-expandable) and 512mb RAM.

After the official Mango update - I was already using the dev version a while back - the phone seems snappy and never lags. But, like Android, it places stuff in the background into sleep. That's the argument around multi-tasking - and honestly, it's still serial tasking. But for the last 24 hours, 8 updates, I've listened to music, used the map(s), used 5 accounts on Gmail, watched YouTube videos, surfed the web, answered phones calls, and can go back and switch between those without any issue. In fact, it's as fast, if not faster than my Atrix in terms of perceived speed.

To get in and out of a tweet, SMS or whatever... it's speedy. The UX, user experience is much better. The processor helps in all of this, so does the RAM. But Microsoft has been trying to optimize the OS.

Something that Harmattan has all the others beat on, imho. It's optimized, lean and seems to be running quite speedy on just a single core, 1ghz, 1gb of RAM device. I mean, crazily fast - and with proper multi-tasking.

So yeah, variety is great, Mango is a bit more optimized that folks are paying attention to, larger screens with better cameras all help the user experience. I agree with his point.

Again, agree. The UI is pretty standard so far on WP7. So... where should you differentiate? The stuff that draw people in... like the N8 had shown, you add a decent camera on a phone, it will become the highest used Nokia Flickr phone camera - higher than the oft used N95. Or if you add a (for instance) a AMOLED screen like on my Dell Venue Pro, it looks leagues better than the standard LCD. Building materials - metal instead of plastic, et al - and stuff like that helps too. Not sure if I want a solid gold piece of crap, but I'm sure there's a market for even that.

It's much better than the oft used "more apps" logic. Refine the OS, get the popular apps that people use - Facebook, Twitter, Flickr - as well as make the geeks happy (good luck with that) and you have something that will sell. Microsoft has turned a blind eye to people hacking on WP7. In fact, they've actually helped folks. Unprecedented by most folks - Nokia/Maemo excluded.

I disagree. It's not as feature-laden as iOS or Android yet. In fact, I know that I'm missing out on quite a few apps, Adobe Flash (important to me since I dev the stuff) and a few other applications. But... as a phone, as a social network capable phone, as a way to quickly get myself out of being lost somewhere... it works great. If I had to admin a remote server, pull from git and push up to a new server via capistrano, or ssh into a server, I'm **** out of luck or I better have my rooted Xoom with me, or my N900 (which I no longer have).

But this isn't for that level of geek. Yet. Let's hope that Panic comes out with Prompt for WP7 as well as they did for iOS.

Good article, I can support about 60-70% of it, the lack of things for us geeks though lessen the appeal. The stuff that it brings to the table for the average consumer outweighs us geeks (in numbers and spending power) but I'm here; not an average consumer.
There are many drawbacks (biggest one that it takes 2 seconds from the time you answer the phone until it connects so everybody loses the hello) to WP7 but bloat is not one of them. Not a power hog either. My LG Optimus 7 outperforms in battery life all my late smartphones (N95, N95-2, htc wildfire, N900, motorola XT720) except maybe the i8910, but symbian is reknown for it's battery life.
And strangely when you read around on the net generally you get (mostly from people that never used one) that WP is a resource and power hog.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Swipe UI uses horizontal swipes/scrolling. Black and Orange tiles? Orange UK with dark background eh?

I suggest that people do use it for themselves. Predictable isn't as bad as unusable. Lack of UI/UX standards means that your usability goes down - you have to figure out each app since they all act different. Even Gnome, Hildon and KDE have standards; so I'm not sure what you're going for in that direction of thought.

Customizations? Quite unfriendly there. But where's the customizations on the N9? Transitions? Where's the home screen customizations?

It's not a phone OS for everybody. But the stuff you're talking about don't exist on the N9 in huge quantities either.
n9 Does have nicer multitask which makes things easier. btw there is already CSS mods for n9.

wp7 phone tiles doesnt have mass market support, people like their icons and widgets, so much u have people picking a galaxy S of a slight superior FOCUS. (on hardware) wp is inferior to android.

harmattan

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
A nice game to keep you entertained while you await the N9:

If you want to play it correctly you must set it as wallpaper on a windows phone (nokia pre-production preferably), hang it on the wall and start shooting.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 312 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ P.A.
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
I just received word that I will receive my n9 on Tuesday. Cost me 400 euros plus a few beers
What bar do you go to !?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scapegoat845 For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????