Active Topics

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ South Dakota
Those in the know, know that Kittens (and, by definition, cats) RULE! Aside from hunting, or avalanche finding, why would anyone have a needy, expensive (if you really care about your dog), unable to take care of itself, all bark and no bite dog (as it comes to cats...especially Bengal or Tuxedo kittens/cats)?? Besides, female cats are twice (or more) the natural hunter of any dog, no matter how well-trained.

I join mikescomputing and am not amused with fetishistic 'jokes' about kittens/cats, so cut the nonsense. Any of my cats would have had no problem scratching the nose/face off of your dog, sending it away whimpering, no matter the type of dog and no matter your arguments to the contrary. Be 'cute' with some other line of discussion.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I'll continue such light-hearted references as that's all they are, they've only ever been used in the context of if/when things evolve into a "nail biting" situation.
Others/I used the same references in the epic N9 anticipation thread, if things become tenuous, then the kitten references will fly free again...
Now, back on-topic shall we folks. Makes the thread far more interesting/relevant when we post stuff relating (at least vaguely) to the core subject matter.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-04-16 at 03:54.

Some new info on the device launch on Taloussanomat, a Finnish business newspaper. Seems legit:

http://www.taloussanomat.fi/porssi/2...a/20135451/170

Jolla will reveal their phone within few weeks (I hope that they do not miss the target this time…), according to Antti Saarnio, the director of the board.

Also,
– The phone will follow modern scandinavian design
– pre-sales campaign will launch mid-May through a kind of Jolla club
– a multi-level pre-payment is planned following the Kickstarter model. The more one pays, the more his/her phone will be pre-tailored to the club membership level. The details of the program are not yet finalized.
– The availability is neither yet decided. Finland will get the device first via DNA. (earlier China is mentioned as the second priority)
– They will also launch a pre-IPO bond to collect 30 million to support growth. They already have sufficient financing to launch the first device. IPO is still an option.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Now that's more like it, wow... It sounds like they may actually be further ahead than what everyone thought?!
I'd still be happy with wider availability by Dec/Jan, but much earlier via a "kickstarter" program (even if it's not fully polished) may be a good/practical idea.
I wonder if they plan to integrate this "Jolla Club" into Hildon Foundation's infra or build something completely separate? I hope there can be a merging of sorts longer-term.
But given how slowly the HFB/C has been inching towards completing simply the migration* let alone future projects, it might be best if Jolla stays away

*thanks to all the tragic political issues that seem to consistently plague this community

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-04-16 at 05:48. Reason: typo

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Yay! Kittens are safe.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
This is actually great news, I would happily fund Jolla's kickstarter project!!!

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
It's fun killing kittens... .

(in case you didn't notice I wasn't being -completely- serious, IRL I'm not the type to even hurt a cockroach, it's simply a way of expressing exasperation)
Jalyst and mikecomputing lives in the same town. I would love to see them go head to head with their claws.

Anyone wants to go back to discussion about jolla. The device will revealed within weeks... Only a few days left.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
This is actually great news, I would happily fund Jolla's kickstarter project!!!
This is actually funny.

Here at TMO people are excited about this and see this as an opportunity.

At Finnish Mobile phone forum people see this as an act of desperation from Jolla and are already laughing at "stupid fanboys who will never see their money again or get a phone after paying for it".

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Jolla is a start up. People with any care for money would go for safer choices.

When you are investing in start up is often that you ever seeing your money again, but once in a while you get an amazing award. Not sure the customer have a anything to gain here to fund jolla experiment. But if you can afford to lose the money just buy one.

But of course, It would be cool to know what you get for your 650 Euro.

What's the deal?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

This is easily the most exciting Sailfish news in some time.

What do you guys think that they mean by modern Scandinavian design? Are there specific design elements that are thought to be Scandinavian, or are they just talking about it being an all touch screen bar-styled form factor? Any pictures would help.

Also, does anyone know what frequencies are used by DNA, the Finnish carrier that will launch the device? Does DNA offer any LTE frequencies/service? I am just wondering if there is any chance that a US carrier would be compatible with the phone . . . Maybe a multiband approach?

And Kickstarter has been successful with technology projects like the Pebble smar****ch, so why couldn't a similar approach work for Jolla? I think it could and eagerly await the device's announcement.

Tags
dave ate sail, fishing jolla, n9 sailfish, nokia n950, sailfish, sailfish os, sailfish video, where?