Posts: 37 | Thanked: 200 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by jpfsn View Post
@creip on twitter kindly translated an interview with Jussi Hurmola of Jolla earlier today. It is not a long article (link below), but an extract relating to apps is :
According to Finnish magazine IT-Viikko, CEO of Jolla Mobile Jussi Hurmola promises that Jolla has "an interesting answer" to the challenge.
' It is evident that we must face up to this challenge. Our solution is so interesting, though that it is better left for revealing at the same time with our announcements.' Hurmola says cryptically. The CEO is reluctant to address confusion over whether apps from the MeeGo-Harmattan device N9 will work on Jolla's devices.
This is intriguing. Could it be a freestore, where all apps are free, and most of them open? Users would love it, but Jolla themselves would have to make sure QA is solid and that the most needed apps are available.

Originally Posted by www.rzr.online.fr View Post
JollaMobile : Jolla continues Nokia's excellent work on #MeeGo based smartphones together with the #N9 core professionals and #MeeGo community alumni.

http://identi.ca/tag/jolla

https://twitter.com/jollamobile

{
MeeGo Smartphones and Operating System Find a New Life in Jolla Ltd.
Jolla Ltd. is an independent Finland based smartphone product company which
continues the excellent work that Nokia started with MeeGo. The Jolla team is
formed by directors and core professionals from Nokia’s MeeGo N9 organisation,
together with some of the best minds working on MeeGo in the communities.
Jussi Hurmola, CEO Jolla Ltd.: “Nokia created something wonderful – the world’s
best smartphone product. It deserves to be continued, and we will do that together
with all the bright and gifted people contributing to the MeeGo success story.”
Jolla Ltd. will design, develop and sell new MeeGo based smartphones. Together
with international private investors and partners, a new smartphone using this
MeeGo based OS will be revealed later this year.
Jolla Ltd. has been developing a new smartphone product and the OS since the end
of 2011. The OS has evolved from MeeGo OS using Mer Core and Qt with Jolla
technology including its own brand new UI.
}

Suspense Suspense Suspense

What do you expect ? Any predictions ?

Some ramdom unofficial facts :

* It will be based on upstream projects : merproject core, qt and hopefully GNU/Linux floss meego (the distro is rpm based) ...

* target devices will be upcoming hardware (nokia ones are unsupported officially at least) ...

* We are focusing on smartphones first.

what about creating a wiki page on this project ?
Looks like Nokia might their decision and might think of reacquiring or buying MeeGo team. Which is not possible

Originally Posted by larsoy View Post
This is intriguing. Could it be a freestore, where all apps are free, and most of them open? Users would love it, but Jolla themselves would have to make sure QA is solid and that the most needed apps are available.
I think the current rumour is this http://openmobileww.com/blog/2012/06...-meego-update/

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by maverick788us View Post
Looks like Nokia might their decision and might think of reacquiring or buying MeeGo team. Which is not possible
Wouldn't it be satisfying and ironic if the new company's MeeGo team does well enough to buy Nokia?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by www.rzr.online.fr View Post
what makes you think nokia is not involved into the project ? i am sure they have a spinoff program that could benefit to both side ?

I'd be suprised that nokia is not anymore implied technically and financially related projects such as qt or linux ...

btw if nokia becomes an ODM (this is what ms wants them to be right?) then they can provide any devices for any platform integrators ... this is making sense ... else who will produce those items ? probaly an asian company such as htc ? or other vendors from china ?

So far I am just speculating ...
Nokia made a stupid decision by ditching its own platform MeeGo and QT. Understandable its a past, things cannot be reverted back. In fact Windows 8 is a good OS platform.

But Nokia doesn't realize that it is dependent on Microsoft. Windows 7.X has limited hardware support, because of which Nokia could'nt develop high end devices supporting Multi Core and HD resolution (untill windows showed up). Microsoft even ditched nokia by not letting its existing high end device enjoy the flovor of Windows 8. All history.

1) Nokia keep Windows as its mobile OS.

2) But just like Sansung is into multiple OS (Bada a failure, Android and Windows a hit), why doesn't Nokia bring back its MeeGo and QT back into a team and launch Devices with multiple OS in order to bring varieties? (for instance they can use some Lumia Windows handset, create one vairation in which they have same hardware configuration but MeeGo and for low end devices use Symbian) that way it will be much benificial / profitable for Nokia. When the Nokia created a tie up with Microsoft, I don't think Microsoft came up with any term in which Nokia is not supposed to use any other OS,

3) Nokia can use Lumia to compete with Samsung Omin series in windows race (and Nokia will turn out to be a clear winner). They can use MeeGo devices to compete with Samsung Android devices and Symbion to compete with Bada devices.

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Finland
Next day, next translation

This one is from M&M (Markkinointi & Mainonta) translated to english Marketing & Advertising

http://www.marmai.fi/uutiset/jolla+r...pankin/a821760

Jolla exploded the mediabank

Jolla, which is continuing to develop MeeGo phones, has received a great deal of international media attention. Company consists of former Nokia employers and their goal is to bring two new smartphones to the market within current year.

Jolla came to public last saturday on Twitter and after that companys plans have been posted widely in domestic media and in addition widely in international media, including Reuters, The Wall Street Journal and TechCrunch, and also in other major international technology publications.

"I didn't sleep for 30 hours after the announcement we made on Twitter, as phone has been ringing all the time", President and CEO Jussi Hurmola said on Tuesday to M & M.

The company has tried to nurture suppliers and consumers desire for knowledge diligently giving interviews and communicating with Twitter.

Jolla Twitter followers exceeded the 8000 limit on Wednesday morning. The company did not wish to reveal the details yet, but plans to pledge so far, including information about the phone manufacturers and application ecosystem. Twitter-people wants to be among the first, when the company says more about the context, latest at the launch of their product .

The company has harnessed people interested in MeeGo to come along with product development by collecting suggestions on Twitter under hashtag #jollaspec.

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Tomi Ahonen on Jolla:

If you are an investor looking for Tomi's particular insights into what is below the radar and can become mightly big soon, like say my stories here of Flirtomatic or Layar or BookIt or Qustodian in the past, here is another very strong early stage startup in mobile, someone whose pedigree is platinum and whose management team is titanium. This is one handset maker, smartphone maker, who seems like a very promising investment. Please consider them and contact them if you have an interest in joining their growth adventure.

Jolla is so fresh, they don't even have a website yet. You can follow their tweets as @jollamobile and they have a Linked In page as Jolla. I hereby openly pledge my support for the full team of Jolla, this is a beautiful flower growing from the bigger economic distress that happened at Nokia. Now grab the oars, start rowing. Raise the little sail, Lets have Jolla lead us onto the new digital sea of Mer and bring us magnificent smartphones soon. Tsemppia Jollalaiset! I am with you!

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Tomi Ahonen is a one man-anti-nokia-troll-army.

Who doesent support jolla?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
one-man-anti-elop troll army, read his blog entry when elop took over. Hardly anti-nokia

http://communities-dominate.blogs.co...for-nokia.html

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla