Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
OK thankyou for answering.

Those prices are colossal in comparison with Asia prices.

I can confirm 100% the 64gb is 429.704749 British pounds inc vat and the 16gb is 388.584677 British pounds inc vat.

There is a problem when ordering from outside your home country because when the item goes through customs and excise there will be a further charge due to import duties.

People need to realise this before ordering from another country.

Damm it this N9 is way way too expensive as it is in my opinion.
True, I wait few monts untill purchace. In EU it is easier. I can ask local Nokia seller if we can make some good offer for 10 N9.

The Following User Says Thank You to kike For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
where is the confirmation that this is the case? limited production? where was it stated that brasil will get only 1000 units?
Nokia store manager in one of the most important stores in Brazil.

He said he is only getting this one shipment, ever, and that he won't even put it on show because pre orders will probably be bigger than the whole supply.

He them shows me the pre order list for this one store and it is this notebook with some 30 to 40 pages covered. This store alone should be able to sell all n9 coming to Brazil even without any advertising. He said at best he will get 300 to 400 units and didn't promise to fullfil pre orders

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jotoco For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by jotoco View Post
Nokia store manager in one of the most important stores in Brazil.

He said he is only getting this one shipment, ever, and that he won't even put it on show because pre orders will probably be bigger than the whole supply.

He them shows me the pre order list for this one store and it is this notebook with some 30 to 40 pages covered. This store alone should be able to sell all n9 coming to Brazil even without any advertising. He said at best he will get 300 to 400 units and didn't promise to fullfil pre orders
This is what will be happening in every Nokia store not just Brazil, many are just not going to be able to buy the N9.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
EDIT: Started writing this post before the answers to my previous question came in. It seems like the small availability is more serious than I thought. However all my other points are still valid.

I think I know how to present this thing

Firstly I don't believe for a second that FUD Eldar is spreading about 92000 units. Also even if it is true we can't go to nokia and ask for anything quoting this number. So let's assume that the N9 availability will at least match that of the N900 which somewhere here in tmo is quoted to be about a million units. (a quick search shows that a nokia rep said it sold about 100 000 units in the first five weeks)

So, the rationale is this. Nokia will sell for sure all the N9's they make. The Nokia N9 even if it is not the official strategy anymore still has a nokia sticker on it, it is very sexy and we can safely assume that a great percentage (maybe even 70% of the buyers) will not even be aware that this phone runs harmattan, they will think of it as an upgrade to their N8 (even some guys came here and were asking how to install a .sis file on the N900 - with the N9 this trend will be stronger as the name suggests a continuity (N8->N9), form factor is sleeker, and advertising is more consumer friendly ("raw computer power" vs "show yourself")).

Next big chunk of customers (let's say 20%) will be people who know that it runs harmattan, know that the N900 was strongly supported by the community, and believe the corporate blabber about continuing support etc etc. Those people expect that what is true about the N900 will be true about the N9, we have already many people here assuring that the radio and fmtx chip in the N9 will be hacked to working condition by the community.

Then there is the group that just want the latest gadget, or is fed up with every other mobile OS and want to try something new, will research the abilities of the phone to death and they will be ok with what they get out of the box. Whatever remains is happy Nxxx users, tmo members mostly that will get the N9 (if they can) whatever it is, even if it doesn't seem a hell of an upgrade on the N900, just because it's the last of it's kind or they had very nice moments with their Nxxx (me! )

Consolidation:
Code:
Nokia brand loyalists, unaware of harmattan: ############## 70%
Early adopters, swipe UI fans              : #### 20%
Open source fans, geeks in general         : ## 10%
tmo members, Nxxx fans, meego enthusiasts  : ## 10%
(including developers)
these are just my estimates feel free to criticize

• Nokia will probably sell all the N9's so if the buyer is a maemo.org member or not is of no financial concern to nokia.
  • The ratio of developers/100users in tmo is for sure the biggest among the 4 groups I described.
  • Giving the opportunity to every tmo member and if every and all tmo members buy one it still is only 5% of the billion units.
  • The non-developers here are mostly helpful and give support to other /N?[7-9](0|1|7)?0?/ users free of charge

Giving access to community members to the N9 will benefit nokia in the following ways.
  • First group (consumers) is going to have somewhere to go to when things get ugly and a helping hand before they have to ring nokia. Less customer service costs for nokia and more satisfied users. Those users will probably buy a nokia WP next time.
  • Second group will be dissappointed if there is no strong community around the N9, so bad publicity for Nokia since those guys are the most vocal on the internet.i
  • All the groups will benefit from more apps. I am more likely to make an app for the N9 (or port something over) if I have one in my hands arent't I? A user of the first group won't.
  • We 're more likely to be satisfied N9 customers than group A (who may moan about lack of apps - especially the ones they already had on their symbian phone) and we sure going to do some viral marketing even if we don't want to. There are about the same number of youtube videos tagged with N900 and N97 (with the N97 having sold millions more). The gsmarena championship win is also not by chance. We also are more likely to keep the N9's alive for more.
  • I'm going to be disappointed if I don't get a N9 and will vent it out by going Galaxy Note. The Nokia loyalist will just go SeaRay

I'm sure we can think of more reasons why we should have priority.

I urge a native english speaker to rephrase the above to an open letter to Nokia and let us publish it and create some hype over it.

Thanks for reading.

(I made a lovely typo while typing SeaRay - SeaRat hehe)

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-10-02 at 12:46.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
EDIT: Started writing this post before the answers to my previous question came in. It seems like the small availability is more serious than I thought. However all my other points are still valid.

I think I know how to present this thing

Firstly I don't believe for a second that FUD Eldar is spreading about 92000 units. Also even if it is true we can't go to nokia and ask for anything quoting this number. So let's assume that the N9 availability will at least match that of the N900 which somewhere here in tmo is quoted to be about a million units. (a quick search shows that a nokia rep said it sold about 100 000 units in the first five weeks)

So, the rationale is this. Nokia will sell for sure all the N9's they make. The Nokia N9 even if it is not the official strategy anymore still has a nokia sticker on it, it is very sexy and we can safely assume that a great percentage (maybe even 70% of the buyers) will not even be aware that this phone runs harmattan, they will think of it as an upgrade to their N8 (even some guys came here and were asking how to install a .sis file on the N900 - with the N9 this trend will be stronger as the name suggests a continuity (N8->N9), form factor is sleeker, and advertising is more consumer friendly ("raw computer power" vs "show yourself")).

Next big chunk of customers (let's say 20%) will be people who know that it runs harmattan, know that the N900 was strongly supported by the community, and believe the corporate blabber about continuing support etc etc. Those people expect that what is true about the N900 will be true about the N9, we have already many people here assuring that the radio and fmtx chip in the N9 will be hacked to working condition by the community.

Then there is the group that just want the latest gadget, or is fed up with every other mobile OS and want to try something new, will research the abilities of the phone to death and they will be ok with what they get out of the box. Whatever remains is happy Nxxx users, tmo members mostly that will get the N9 (if they can) whatever it is, even if it doesn't seem a hell of an upgrade on the N900, just because it's the last of it's kind or they had very nice moments with their Nxxx (me! )

Consolidation:
Code:
Nokia brand loyalists, unaware of harmattan: ############## 70%
Early adopters, swipe UI fans              : #### 20%
Open source fans, geeks in general         : ## 10%
tmo members, Nxxx fans, meego enthusiasts  : ## 10%
(including developers)
these are just my estimates feel free to criticize

• Nokia will probably sell all the N9's so if the buyer is a maemo.org member or not is of no financial concern to nokia.
  • The ratio of developers/100users in tmo is for sure the biggest among the 4 groups I described.
  • Giving the opportunity to every tmo member and if every and all tmo members buy one it still is only 5% of the billion units.
  • The non-developers here are mostly helpful and give support to other /N?[7-9](0|1|7)?0?/ users free of charge

Giving access to community members to the N9 will benefit nokia in the following ways.
  • First group (consumers) is going to have somewhere to go to when things get ugly and a helping hand before they have to ring nokia. Less customer service costs for nokia and more satisfied users. Those users will probably buy a nokia WP next time.
  • Second group will be dissappointed if there is no strong community around the N9, so bad publicity for Nokia since those guys are the most vocal on the internet.i
  • All the groups will benefit from more apps. I am more likely to make an app for the N9 (or port something over) if I have one in my hands arent't I? A user of the first group won't.
  • We 're more likely to be satisfied N9 customers than group A (who may moan about lack of apps - especially the ones they already had on their symbian phone) and we sure going to do some viral marketing even if we don't want to. There are about the same number of youtube videos tagged with N900 and N97 (with the N97 having sold millions more). The gsmarena championship win is also not by chance. We also are more likely to keep the N9's alive for more.
  • I'm going to be disappointed if I don't get a N9 and will vent it out by going Galaxy Note. The Nokia loyalist will just go SeaRay

I'm sure we can think of more reasons why we should have priority.

I urge a native english speaker to rephrase the above to an open letter to Nokia and let us publish it and create some hype over it.

Thanks for reading.

(I made a lovely typo while typing SeaRay - SeaRat hehe)
You have 110% on that consolidation of yours, I don't know if on purpose.

But, in general, I agree. But Nokia sure is one of the most closed companies when it comes to listening to their customers. Steve Jobs replied, personally, to emails. Others have various channels. Nokia just sits there and do their things and ignore users.

It is REALLY hard to get support from Nokia, and REALLY hard to buy a Nokia nowadays. Most operators are throwing Nokias to the basement and forgetting they even exist. E-tailers and retailers mostly sell feature phones. And the VERY small amount of Nokia stores makes it difficult to even buy a Nokia, let alone get support on a broken device! (Like I'm trying for 2 weeks to get my camera glass on my n8 replaced)

When my n900 USB broke, Nokia care wouldn't even accept it, not even by paying because it was imported. And they said even if it was Brazillian they would not take it! I would have to mail it directly to Nokia, but Nokia kept telling me I needed to send it to Nokia Care! In the end I had to find someone willing to fix it for me that had nothing to do with Nokia. Nokia's support is just awful. And their PR too, and their marketing, their logistics and mostly everything, including software development (with small exceptions). The only thing they got going is their CAMERA, and HARDWARE departments (and even hardware concerns non cpu and memory related aspects).

After writing everything above it is hard to know WHY I owned 6 Nokia SMARTPHONES in the past, why I own a n8 and a n900, and why I want to buy an n9. It is, despite the lack of so many parts on Nokia, they do 3 things right:

1 - Battery consumption;
2 - Camera;
3 - OS capabilities.

This is in no particular order.

I want an OS that let's me do anything, and a really nice camera, and on top of that I want a device that I can carry for at least 24h before running out of juyce. Even my n8 suffers to get this done, as I use my phones heavilly to browse, maps, photos, email and many other things.

The one thing I know, is, if this trend continues of supply issues, I'm not buying an n9, and Nokia will have lost a customer, because no way in hell I will buy a windows phone, because I will lose out on itens 2 and 3 of above.

The Following User Says Thank You to jotoco For This Useful Post:
Posts: 397 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney
For those living in Aussieland, its available here with bonuses for those who preorder.
http://thenokiablog.com/2011/09/22/australia-nokia-n9/

Usually Australian phones cost alot more more though, so not sure if its worth it.

And I didn't read the whole thread so no idea if its been posted.. too lazy, but can you blame me?

Originally Posted by Blaizzen View Post
For those living in Aussieland, its available here with bonuses for those who preorder.
http://thenokiablog.com/2011/09/22/australia-nokia-n9/

Usually Australian phones cost alot more more though, so not sure if its worth it.

And I didn't read the whole thread so no idea if its been posted.. too lazy, but can you blame me?
Have you got prices for the N9 in Australia yet or not?.

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Have you got prices for the N9 in Australia yet or not?.
Yes. Checked Harvey Norman and MyMobile

Around $698 for the 16gig and $878 for 64gigs. The price will differ slightly depending on where and what bonuses they give.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaizzen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Blaizzen View Post
Yes. Checked Harvey Norman and MyMobile

Around $698 for the 16gig and $878 for 64gigs. The price will differ slightly depending on where and what bonuses they give.
Blimy they are more or less western prices we will pay, i guess your right about Australia being expensive.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
It was not on purpose but take it as a statistical error i.e. each of the groups are +/- 5%

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Tags
depression, nokia n9, purchase, the elop flop