Notices

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Yes indeed but I wouldn't miss the conversations integration for anything
I rather use Pidgin though, otherwise everybody can read the messages that is being saved on the phone
(you can disable history in Pidgin)

And of course, you have more functions like Nudging someone

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
That's what I love about the N900. We can be both happy.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
But with harmattan, we both cry (at the moment)

Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
^^ and me too

www.meebo.com and add to the apps.. it is not perfect, but somehow it working.

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Brisbane, AU
Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
MSN needs telepathy-haze/pecan and a plugin UI (no one's working on it afaik).
I'd probably use telepathy-butterfly for M$N.

You can easily live without the plugin UI. Once you have telepathy-haze and its dependencies (libpurple mainly) installed you can then add all your IM a/c's (pretty much everything that Pidgin supports) in the terminal with mc-tool. They are then all available through the N9's messaging app.

You just tap the "chat" button at bottom right and it takes you to contacts. Pick up the contact you want to chat with and away you go. This is how I use my Jabber accounts. It works well.

Caveat: I haven't installed telepathy-{haze,butterfly} or libpurple on my N9 yet (I do plan to), but I can't think of any reasons why this wouldn't work.

The Following User Says Thank You to SteveYoungs For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SteveYoungs View Post
I'd probably use telepathy-butterfly for M$N.
You can easily live without the plugin UI. Once you have telepathy-haze and its dependencies (libpurple mainly) installed you can then add all your IM a/c's (pretty much everything that Pidgin supports) in the terminal with mc-tool. They are then all available through the N9's messaging app.
Where to get the .deb's (and all the needed depencies) for Harmattan?

and all devs out there.. do not forget to make it easy to use and install.. people wants that!!

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Brisbane, AU
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Where to get the .deb's (and all the needed depencies) for Harmattan?
For Harmattan, specifically... you probably won't find anything. But seeing as though this is just Linux, your nearest Debian mirror should probably have the required armel debs.

Have a look at the files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ create a new file in there (I'm not completely sure if filename matters, but all the existing ones in there have a `.list' extension, so keep to that) for your favourite mirror. It would just contain a single line...

Code:
deb http://your_mirror_url/ sid main
I need to point out that I am NOT a Debian user and every time I need to do anything with apt-* or dpkg, I have to google how to do it first.

OK, once you have added your mirror to the list you need to update the apt database. Pretty sure that is:

Code:
apt update
At this point you can pretty much install whatever you like via apt-get. However, I've seen funky **** that scares me (I did a "dry-run" on an apt-get run and it suggested that a gazillion packages that were currently installed weren't needed and you should auto-remove em. Erm, no I don't want!!)

The best thing I can suggest to you is to google for apt/dpkg HOWTOs or cheat sheets. With that in hand you'll know more than me. LOL

I've decided to wait until after the big update coming from Nokia that we've heard about before I attempt to install libpurple, telepathy-{haze,butterfly} and friends.

The Following User Says Thank You to SteveYoungs For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SteveYoungs View Post
For Harmattan, specifically... you probably won't find anything. But seeing as though this is just Linux, your nearest Debian mirror should probably have the required armel debs.

Have a look at the files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ create a new file in there (I'm not completely sure if filename matters, but all the existing ones in there have a `.list' extension, so keep to that) for your favourite mirror. It would just contain a single line...

Code:
deb http://your_mirror_url/ sid main
I need to point out that I am NOT a Debian user and every time I need to do anything with apt-* or dpkg, I have to google how to do it first.

OK, once you have added your mirror to the list you need to update the apt database. Pretty sure that is:

Code:
apt update
At this point you can pretty much install whatever you like via apt-get. However, I've seen funky **** that scares me (I did a "dry-run" on an apt-get run and it suggested that a gazillion packages that were currently installed weren't needed and you should auto-remove em. Erm, no I don't want!!)

The best thing I can suggest to you is to google for apt/dpkg HOWTOs or cheat sheets. With that in hand you'll know more than me. LOL

I've decided to wait until after the big update coming from Nokia that we've heard about before I attempt to install libpurple, telepathy-{haze,butterfly} and friends.
The problem with harmattan is that it gives a lot of depency errors (like hildon stuff)

Telepathy should be ported to Harmattan.
I didn't try out haze or pecan that is made for the N900 on Harmattan, I'll just try it out and see what will happen

Edit:
like I said, depency errors

Last edited by HtheB; 2011-11-03 at 11:55.

Tags
messenger, pidgin