Active Topics

Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
Hello maemo community. Is this possible to setup a development environment in N900 to try example codes we learn in our class ? I can't carry my laptop in my Uni. So is this possible ? we are currently learning subject of Programming Fundamentals.

If its possible then its amazing as i can carry my N900 everywhere and practice example codes on the go. Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
Yes. The N900 is the best phone for onboard development by orders of magnitude. No other phone comes close.

On native Maemo you have Python, shell (bash), full java JDK, you have C and C++ compilers, etc. And I'm sure there are many more.

But then, you can install Easy Debian, and when you do that you will be able to program in any language you can program in on a desktop Debian environment. PLT-Scheme, Lua, etc. You can install multiple versions of Python. You can install Ruby.

As a matter of fact, you can install gvim or emacs, and use them as programming environments too.

Yeah, the N900 is a programmer's dream come true.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
There are at least a dozen threads on the same topic, including guides on how to set it up. I am surprised that the "start a new thread" page did not throw you some suggestions as you were typing the thread title. I would throw you a bunch of links myself if I wasn't typing this on the Jolla which makes thngs like cut'n'paste a bit tricky (N900 is much better).

I for one am doing ALL my development for the N900 on the device. The only exception is using Qt Creator on the PC, but only for big changes. For minor alterations I skip that and use Leafpad on the device as well.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by malfunctioning View Post
Yes. The N900 is the best phone for onboard development by orders of magnitude. No other phone comes close.

On native Maemo you have Python, shell (bash), full java JDK, you have C and C++ compilers, etc. And I'm sure there are many more.

But then, you can install Easy Debian, and when you do that you will be able to program in any language you can program in on a desktop Debian environment. PLT-Scheme, Lua, etc. You can install multiple versions of Python. You can install Ruby.

As a matter of fact, you can install gvim or emacs, and use them as programming environments too.

Yeah, the N900 is a programmer's dream come true.
thanks for the reply. i only need C and C++ compilers. can you guide me how to set it up in my N900 ? any links for the instructions. as python is also easy to learn i wouldn't mind a tutorial link for it also.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
There are at least a dozen threads on the same topic, including guides on how to set it up. I am surprised that the "start a new thread" page did not throw you some suggestions as you were typing the thread title. I would throw you a bunch of links myself if I wasn't typing this on the Jolla which makes thngs like cut'n'paste a bit tricky (N900 is much better).

I for one am doing ALL my development for the N900 on the device. The only exception is using Qt Creator on the PC, but only for big changes. For minor alterations I skip that and use Leafpad on the device as well.
it did showed some threads but not much related with my questions. also searched for it on Google but was unable to find a tutorial for this.

Im not a hurry. you can post links later as i need a step wise tutorial to set up C, C++ and Python compilers.

The Following User Says Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
A couple of links to get you started:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32772
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90701

Also, install gcc from extras-devel.

EDIT: The above links were from the set returned by the TMO search:

http://talk.maemo.org/search.php?searchid=16948764

(simpy a search for "on-device development", in case the search ID does not work for you)

Last edited by pichlo; 2014-10-26 at 16:58.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Anybody has a Maemo 5 SDK ARM image so I can run it via chroot on Nokia N900, N9, etc ? More complete and newer (PR1.3) than item 3 of topic ?
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2014-10-26 at 17:30.

The Following User Says Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
by following THIS for in-device development i have enabled fremantle sdk repo and installed g++ and build-essential via terminal. Now I don't know how to start g++ or any compiler as there are no icon in application menu .

sorry for being noob but i haven't done anything like this on my N900. any guide on this will be perfect.

Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Just write code in eg leafpad or any other editor save it as "inputcode.c". Then pass it to gcc (or g++ for c++) in xterm:

"gcc -o outputcompiled inputcode.c", then run ./outputcompiled to test.
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
@panjgoori, as mr_pingu said, gcc and g++ are command-line utilities. You need a source file to feed them as a parameter. From the way you ask, it sounds like you want an IDE, i.e. an editor with a built-in ability to build your code. I'm afraid the only one available on Maemo is Mono and it is, quite frankly, horrible. Not only because it comes with the whole C# shebang, which, on a Linux system, is as out of place as an igloo on a beach in Hawaii. It is also pretty unusable because its UI has not been optimized for Maemo. In short, stay away. I know, I've tried.

There have been a few other attempts at source code editors with integrated build and even debug functionality: Edicom, KhtEditor and PyGTKEditor. The trouble is, neither of them really ever worked for me. So I settled for Leafpad for editing the code and make, gcc and g++ in the command line to build it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
From the way you ask, it sounds like you want an IDE, i.e. an editor with a built-in ability to build your code. I'm afraid the only one available on Maemo is Mono and it is, quite frankly, horrible.
lies: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...36&postcount=2
edit: jk, not really fully usable, unless you know which exactly pixel you want to hit, if you know qtcreator by heart, should be doable at least

Last edited by szopin; 2014-11-07 at 23:54.