Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
SSU runs pretty stable with anything you may get from extras, @ least. some -testing or -devel only packages require advanced features only available in PK, thus that seems unavoidable...
CSSU?
i know, the converted ones claim it is the (only) way to go, but how many N900 users are actually running CSSU?
are really all the (2nd hand) N900 buyers only hardcore developers or geeks? or just fans of FOSS & the PC in your pocket concept? and NOKIA, maybe?
Hm, I am "converted one" for sure, but anyway...

How you are going to convince Harmatan developers to backport stuff to fremantle if they have to twist their code so much, that at the end of the day it becomes not a backport, but another project? Take qmltube for example - backporting to CSSU Fremantle is a matter of re-packaging and some namespace tweaking AIUI. Ask marxian what costs him to keep it compatible with PR1.3.

Not only that, in CSSU-testing there are several CVEs fixed and the list will grow up. You may call PR1.3 stable (and it is) but it does not mean it does not have bugs.

Re the count of the users - you may check the thanks number in opening posts on original CSSU thread and on the newer threads, that should be enough for at least some approximation.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
In maemo you can even be on PR1.0 if you like, no one forces you. But no-one forces devs to cater for PR1.0 users either. Pushing cssu as an official firmware, doesn't mean you have to upgrade. It means developers will not need to worry about supporting ancient firmware.

SSU runs pretty stable with anything you may get from extras, @ least. some -testing or -devel only packages require advanced features only available in PK, thus that seems unavoidable...
read it backwards please

new and useful packages are locked out of extras because it lacks newer packages. Devs are forced to work around Qt 4.7.0 bugs because of that making their life harder, and perfectly stable apps that need CSSU or PK features are held back.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Last edited by qwazix; 2012-04-07 at 20:41.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Now I'd like to share some thoughts about what is being discussed here.

At first, I think the N900vsN9 thing is ridiculous. N9 is still a rebranded maemo, the toolchains for developing on both devices are the same, and applications can be cross compiled easily. And having an advanced and easy to use toolchain for the N9 has made me among others take the plunge and start making apps for maemo. Knowing that the N900 is a more capable device, and because thankfully the easy toolchain has been backported to fremantle has given us an incentive to develop for the N900 too. So please stop that us vs them thing because a big percentage of maemoers which is getting bigger every day belong both to 'us' and 'them'. I could see a slight reasoning behind the distinction if the N9 was the mass market device it was designed to be but it is not, it is just another maemo device for the enthusiast (the N900 when launched was the next big thing, the N9 was DOA). Also the N9 runs something that resembles fremantle more than meego proper so poor guys trying to do something linux-y have more chance to find a solution here than over at meego.com

[...]
versus

Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Hm, I am "converted one" for sure, but anyway...

How you are going to convince Harmatan developers to backport stuff to fremantle if they have to twist their code so much, that at the end of the day it becomes not a backport, but another project? Take qmltube for example - backporting to CSSU Fremantle is a matter of re-packaging and some namespace tweaking AIUI. Ask marxian what costs him to keep it compatible with PR1.3.
[...]
what is it now?

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
@misterc which exactly part is not clear . To backport from Harmattan to Fremantle without much trouble you need Qt 4.7.4, thus my point

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
@misterc which exactly part is not clear . To backport from Harmattan to Fremantle without much trouble you need Qt 4.7.4, thus my point
i have Qt 4.7 whatever installed on my N900s, without CSSU (soon, again)
Qwazix doesn't mention CSSU once in his post.
you claim it is not possible without...
what is it?

[...]

Re the count of the users - you may check the thanks number in opening posts on original CSSU thread and on the newer threads, that should be enough for at least some approximation.
didn't count, guesstimate a couple hundreds, give or take
how many N900 (& now N9) users?
a couple millions (give or take )
i think you make my point more then yours...
and don't blame NOKIA if they don't only care about a couple hundred geeks.
they are nice to have if they provide apps & fixes but... it simply doesn't compute for any company to cater only for that clientele...
then again, if we could convince NOKIA do distribute CSSU as PR1.4, but i think CSSU isn't quite ready for that, yet, is it?

Yes I didn't mention it but that is what I was advocating. CSSU pushed as official update. And please read my last post again as I edited it just after posting, but you had already replied when I finished the edit so you probably missed the edit.

how many users are running ccau anyway
Should be more that is the point. Not many users come here often but most of them install updates when available on their device

I don't say we disguise CSSU as coming from Nokia, nobody wants that. I just feel that all users should be notified for the existence of CSSU stable and given the choice to update.

my opinion is that it is more than ready

Last edited by qwazix; 2012-04-07 at 23:04.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Yes I didn't mention it but that is what I was advocating. CSSU pushed as official update. And please read my last post again as I edited it just after posting, but you had already replied when I finished the edit so you probably missed the edit.
copy that, now, indeed

Should be more that is the point. Not many users come here often but most of them install updates when available on their device

I don't say we disguise CSSU as coming from Nokia, nobody wants that. I just feel that all users should be notified for the existence of CSSU stable and given the choice to update.
not talking about disguising, only suggested that we offer it to NOKIA as such.
i know, they don't seem very interested in N900 / Fremantle anymore, but they released PR1.3.1, didn't they?
if they don't have anything to do but label it PR1.4, maybe it'll fly?

my opinion is that it is more than ready
i'm about the flash / flush CSSU (stable) out of my primary N900
sorry, but you'll have to do better then that to convince me

can provide you FAM's slist if that's any help...

I don't have many applications installed but I've been using cssu testing from the beginning on two devices and I didn't had any stability problems. I'm not trying to convince you just try again, maybe its something else wrong.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
I don't have many applications installed but I've been using cssu testing from the beginning on two devices and I didn't had any stability problems. I'm not trying to convince you just try again, maybe its something else wrong.
i'll proceed by elimination
1st PK v50 + ~130 apps
if that works smoothly (as i expect it will) i'll try CSSU testing then, maybe?
should i install it 1st (i.e. after reflashing & before installing anything else) or last?
then i'll have to cut back to the bare minimum and add one by one, to see what might be causing issues.

[/off-topic, i guess ]

i hope you appreciate that's not something you can ask a casual user to do.
nor to install only a hand-full of 600 (or 700?)+ apps
whenever i get a chance i point out to potential users / buyers of N9(00) that those few hundreds apps provide all that's really needed, but if they can't even install (most of) that

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Now I'd like to share some thoughts about what is being discussed here.

At first, I think the N900vsN9 thing is ridiculous...
I wish I could give your post more than 1 Thanks point.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:

Tags
council, election, incommunicado, winding down