Active Topics

Notices

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Why not add two sets of buttons and show/hide them upon rotation?

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Why not add two sets of buttons and show/hide them upon rotation?
Yeah, that's essentially how its done. Kinda painful, but it works.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
How about the light sensor thing i suggested before that automation option is highly appreciated

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Ah, well, that's kind of a conundrum; if you want to control the LEDs while the cover is closed, then really, the app should remain running while the cover is closed, right? I'm really not sure exactly how to both ignore the cover state and use the cover state at the same time. I could, for example, use the rule "If I'm ignoring the cover, but at some point the state goes from open to closed, I'll quit the app", it might work for your
That's why I was amused by my own idea, and called it nonsense feature My use case was that, before discovering how "exit on shutter close" works, I used to open my cover (I have vertical camera cover, as opposed to horizontal vanilla one), to reveal LEDS only, without triggering camera or camera launch (which, with it's 6MB real RAM usage on idle, is unacceptable).

Of course it's all "void and null" for latest releases, so feel free to scratch it. Only one thing I would suggest doing, would be to "gray out" checkbox "close on camera cover", when "ignore camera cover state" is checked, to avoid confusion.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I was envisaging a single slider like the volume control in status menu with % value next to it (or even across it) and Xms on - Yms off under it as calculated values.

Not only would it look cool but it would also allow for dynamic limiting of the duty cycle and/or longest on timer depending on the brightness (which I incidentally also envision as a slider).

But I will let Copernicus decide that
But user *must* be able to set ms values by hand, as duty cycle % in itself is meaningless and useless! Without possibility to set ms value, we would need to hardcode it - how long should it be, 1000 ms, 100 ms, or 2000 ms?

In duty cycle case, % of duty cycle is *calculation result* of ON ms : total ms ratio. So, natural thing is to have 2x input field for ms, and x% as calculated, non-imputable result.

If we decide to make % as imputable field, we, in fact, still allow at least one ms value input, just disguised as %, forcing user to pre-calculate real ms in mind (or calculator) to get any meaningful results.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
But user *must* be able to set ms values by hand, as duty cycle % in itself is meaningless and useless
Err, sorry, I wasn't very clear was I? I meant keep the period input as text but have the duty cycle controlled by a slider.

But - I am easy either way. It is Copernicus' masterpiece, not mine!

However I do think that if there are any hard limits then the UI should let you know somehow. A slider is an obvious indication that you are at the end. Text inputs can be limited by a number of digits but then you get to a situation like you experienced a few posts back when the input only took 999 even though the actual limit was 4999 because it refused the fourth 9.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Err, sorry, I wasn't very clear was I? I meant keep the period input as text but have the duty cycle controlled by a slider.
Ah, I see. allowing *either* to write both ms values, or to write only total duty cycle ms, and control ON ms by moving duty cycle slider (having on ms value re-calculated automatically). that sounds ok, and would be, surely, sweet spot - although, I'm not sure how easy/hard to code it is.

I'm also + for showing hard limits in UI, AFAIK Copernicus is working on it, already.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
How about the light sensor thing i suggested before
I suppose I could put something in, but would it really be useful? A light fixture with a light sensor works mainly because the light fixture is in a permanent location; you can be fairly certain that the light sensor is reacting to the light level in the room around you. But a cell phone is made to travel with you; this option would cause the LED to turn on every time you put it in your pocket...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Only one thing I would suggest doing, would be to "gray out" checkbox "close on camera cover", when "ignore camera cover state" is checked, to avoid confusion.
Ah, thanks! Yeah, I should have done that; I'll get it into the next update.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I suppose I could put something in, but would it really be useful? A light fixture with a light sensor works mainly because the light fixture is in a permanent location; you can be fairly certain that the light sensor is reacting to the light level in the room around you. But a cell phone is made to travel with you; this option would cause the LED to turn on every time you put it in your pocket...
I think he rather meant using this sensor to automatically disable torch, when sensor detects high ambient light, then, re-enabling it again, when in dark (only when torch is activated by user, not as general trigger).

While I can imagine some use-cases for it, I don't think it's worth the effort, still, even if it would be purely optional. Not to mention countless of situations, where user would forget to disable it (due to it going into OFF in lhigh ambient light), and indeed, torch would come back to life in pocket :P

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
I think he rather meant using this sensor to automatically disable torch, when sensor detects high ambient light, then, re-enabling it again, when in dark (only when torch is activated by user, not as general trigger).

While I can imagine some use-cases for it, I don't think it's worth the effort, still, even if it would be purely optional. Not to mention countless of situations, where user would forget to disable it (due to it going into OFF in lhigh ambient light), and indeed, torch would come back to life in pocket :P

/Estel
crazy estel @coppy i have a solid use case for it i simply want to keep the n900 in a table with kickstand open with the optional feature enabled so as soon as there is power cut and the room turns dark the light sensor senses it and turns on the leds
features i would like:
ability to disable the feature if in case i forgot to turn it off . i.e configurable idle time out.

Ability to set custom brightness

ability to select either the torch mode or red led or weather screen turns on or all light up

ability to set sound or beeps after intervel of n minutes so that i am notified its on

as i dont care about the microphone i can leave it running whole night so what about a optional feature about shouting at the n900 to turn it off or enable the leds or worst dial a number

@estel and everyone if you found any usecase by now just reply with more mature feature requests please

nb : all feature requests are just subjects to luxury

@ op thanx for responding

Last edited by nokiabot; 2013-06-13 at 17:39.

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:

Tags
flashlight, lanterne, morse code, nokia n900, strobe light, torch