Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I think the spec. is pretty much set now. Dont think we get more until we have the devices in our hands.

The only question is...how long do we have to wait.
Something tells me it will be februari-mars 2014...but I really hope I'm way too pessimistic. Would be an awesome Christmas present from Jolla if it's available in december.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Na, can't wait 6 more months. If I have to wait that long iam buying an iPhone as a protest.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
@Lumiaman, no that is skewing the results. Look at how much more is the volume of Lumia searches vs Lumia Phone

http://www.google.com/trends/explore...%2012-m&cmpt=q

If you put Lumia 1520 phone and jolla phone neither gets any result on trends.

I also did filter by computers and electronics, and San Diego isn't that relevant.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

well my nexus 4 just broke, ill use a brick till jolla

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
well my nexus 4 just broke, ill use a brick till jolla
If you're looking for a cheap stop-gap take a look at the Huawei Ascend Y300, I got one for £60 and it's a surprisingly good phone. It would've been a bargain at twice the price.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
My point is: no matter what specs these guys put together, they need to provide a software that does every basic thing well or NO ONE will care about or they will simply return it as many have return policies.
Yeah. Basic things like proper multitasking.

It's funny how easy it is to convince people, by example of an N9, why proper multitasking is a good thing. Also, they tell me they find the "multitasking" on other OSses confusing; it's really annoying when you can't be sure whether a task merely gets suspended or shot down entirely, even with massive amounts of memory.

Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
they tell me they find the "multitasking" on other OSses confusing; it's really annoying when you can't be sure whether a task merely gets suspended or shot down entirely, even with massive amounts of memory.
They will as well find it confusing, if the system stops responding when the system is "swapping" and trying to do the desktop style multitasking (Maemo/Meego) without killing anything. The amount of RAM memory counts both in Android and in Maemo/Meego.

The UI for multitasking in Android is easy to learn, but I agree the UI can be hidden and unfound for a normal user if (s)he never bothers to learn it. There is a good point of having a LIFO list of recent apps and not having them in mosaic style. For a normal user, it is simplified to show just the recent used apps in the list, whether they are resident and running in RAM, stopped or killed. IMHO for an experienced user the list could show with some way the stage of the app (running, stopped, killed), like with some colored dot beside the name of the app. (So, I somewhat agree.)
There is other ways of multitasking UI available if the default one is too simple or too hidden.

(This is a often repeated conversation, ~OT, but ...)
I personally think in mobile devices Android's way of doing multitasking is better than Maemo/Meego's way of doing it. It saves the normal user better against laziness of app developers and against knowing himself how many and how big (RSS memory) apps a user really can run simultaneously in his system.

In Android, if an app developer wants one's app to behave nicely also over the stopped-stage, one can program it. And if one wants to make sure it runs 24/7, one can program it (the service class). But lazy programmers who do not care to do things nicely for a mobile device, deserve their app's internal stage to reset during the Android-stopped stage or be just killed if they abuse the resources.

If an app developer bothers to make a well scalable UI to mobile device, he should also easily make it well behaving with Android multitasking.
If he just wants to port an app from a desktop world to a mobile world without doing any rewriting, I doubt it will be useful either in Android multitasking system or in the desktop style multitasking system (Maemo/Meego).

And one can enable swap-memory also in Android if one wants to have same kind of behaviour as in desktop systems. But for good reasons Android doesn't have swap memory system by default. It is left for the experienced users, those same who can also live with Maemo/Meego's swap memory easily and know the limitations and penalties.

Those of you who diss Android's multitasking, I suggest to just try one of the latests Android devices, for example Note 3, to see where Android is going. Jolla claims "the best multitasking experience" (for a non-experienced user) with their first device, but it remains to be seen.

I wonder how Jolla has implemented the Activity Lifecycle in the ACL part of Sailfish. Do they swap away also Android apps, or just kill them more easily if free RAM comes short. The UI and usage of the ACL in Sailfish is a really interesting thing to see (IMO), and I hope they have succeeded well in it.

Last edited by zimon; 2013-10-06 at 14:15.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
Those of you who diss Android's multitasking, I suggest to just try one of the latests Android devices, for example Note 3, to see where Android is going. Jolla claims "the best multitasking experience" (for a non-experienced user) with their first device, but it remains to be seen.
In the 1st day, 2 hours of use of my Nexus 4 (with 2GB of RAM and 4-core CPU), in 2 situations some default softwares were closed, then reopen but real state was lost. Sometimes this problem happens with only 2 softwares being used at all by the user !
So I take a new Android device, with only default softwares installed, and using Google's softwares I already have this problem. I can reproduce this issue in any Android smartphone, tablet and Mini-PC that I've used so far.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
In the 1st day, 2 hours of use of my Nexus 4 (with 2GB of RAM and 4-core CPU), in 2 situations some default softwares were closed, then reopen but real state was lost. Sometimes this problem happens with only 2 softwares being used at all by the user !
So I take a new Android device, with only default softwares installed, and using Google's softwares I already have this problem. I can reproduce this issue in any Android smartphone, tablet and Mini-PC that I've used so far.
Thats why I don't buy Android devices...

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
About networks support (if this is useful for anyone), T-Mobile in US supports LTE in many areas now:
http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage.html

It uses 1700 MHz frequency. So, let's hope Jolla's modem will be able to handle this.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-10-08 at 19:10.