Posts: 411 | Thanked: 1,105 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Europe
Donated 25$ via PayPal.

Though i like the sentence 'Donated, bumping the thread to the top' - which gives me the feeling of being part of an outstanding community - i would like to see something on TMO which is more visible. Maybe, its time to replace the 'Council Sept 2012 Election' with something that makes more sense?

Last edited by BluesLee; 2012-12-15 at 17:54.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to BluesLee For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
This is already in the works.

+bump!

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Ok when the first thoughts about community-operated infrastructure came up i said i would donate small amount per month, so i put where my mouth is etc. at least once today.
(and if now every second friggin' kid that came here just for Whatscrap would donate $2, maybe someone@HF could play Dagobert Duck... )
Attached Images

Last edited by don_falcone; 2012-12-16 at 12:37.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by ejcrashed View Post
I know the goal is met, but donated 25 bucks anyway.
Thanks for your donation (of course same to everybody else), just a few comments:
The goal is not really met, since we expect this fundraiser will have to last for next maybe 6 months and we face some extraordinary one time expenses due during next maybe 3 months for setup of servers, buying licences, paying some last month of hosting the old servers, etc.

The less expensive we want to go later, the more money and work we need to invest into setting up well thought and consolidated infra right now. If we would want to just port what's there now without any consolidation, the mere hosting and administration will be several thousand dollars each month.

And also, since it sometimes sounds a bit different in some of the comments in here: this is about the complete maemo.org infra, not just about this forum. Actually if it was only this forum, our (board, council) lifes were much easier right now, since the whole situation around tmo is pretty easy compared to the rest, not least thanks to Reggie being really helpful - many thanks for this, Reggie!

cheers and keep up the great support
jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
More US$30 donated. Keep the good work, Maemo/MeeGo guys !
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
You're probably not far off for 5 servers but for just the forum, that class of server is way over spec. Df.EU servers are also about half again as expensive as Hetzner.

I'd also hope someone is looking at consolidating using Xenserver or VmWare or some other virtual infrastructure rather than 'investing' in physical dedicated servers with fixed specs.

(Disclaimer: I run a hosting company though we focus on commerce not the kind of infrastructure required to support a Linux repo & community)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Current status:

Donated: 2636,37 USD
PayPal fees: -122,18 USD
Total: 2514,19 USD

This week we'll send out a unified letter to some companies (Intel, RIM, LF, Jolla) asking for sponsoring support.

Best regards,
Cosimo

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@zehjotkah,

Any news about a (preferably European) bank account? Otherwise I might just transfer my donation to your account (I think I still have it..).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
I'm happy to donate, still haven't yet (note to self: Do it!).

Just a thought... If we have a counter next to the donate banner, then maybe we could have a counter widget/app for our phones too? An official counter app could also be a payed application (for a minimal fee) where the profits can go straight back in to HF funds.

Like I say, it's just a thought

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
This week we'll send out a unified letter to some companies (Intel, RIM, LF, Jolla) asking for sponsoring support.
I support the idea of sponsorship but could we please have some clarification on what it will involve and what it will be limited to? Can you confirm that a sponsor will not be able influence the direction of maemo.org?

Could we have greater clarification on the future focus of maemo.org? Mer and its derivatives would seem to be the natural successors to Maemo/MeeGo however I am little surprised that there aren't any Mer sub-forums on TMO yet. Seeing RIM on the list of potential sponsors concerns me given the closed nature of BB10/QNX. To consider RIM because of the Qt association seems like a bit of a stretch IMHO. Have you considered companies such as HP/Gram, BasysKom, Neofonie or perhaps Canonical?

I hope my questions aren't too off topic. I think they are relevant concerns for some people that would like to make a donation but I can "spawn" a new thread if necessary.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:

Tags
chatbot, maturity?, mister clown