Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
The same people that produced the worst email client in the history of smartphones.
lameman,
if for nokia, worst email client should be Symbian Email client...

my N9 email client outperform android's and iphone's email client in fully rretrieving my corporate email (html based). im pretty sure iN9's email client ain't the worst

Last edited by soryuuha; 2013-05-21 at 03:30.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soryuuha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
This must be the front camera? I surely hope it has one.
iian,, yes..it is front camera. marc said it on engadget hands-on

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soryuuha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
My blog article about Jolla smartphone, translation from portuguese-br to english using Google Translate.

I was negatively surprised to see all brazilian and most international articles ignoring the full concept of "Other Half" from Jolla. It is a true innovation.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2013-05-21 at 06:15.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
tablet otherhalf a'la phonepad anyone?

(oh, and I forgot something, hildon desktop for mer is on meego obs)

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Last edited by qwazix; 2013-05-21 at 06:27.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
That might very well be it - for example, the GPS does not work at all with Nemo on N9 and N950, due to a missing driver. According to the Nemo developers, this is unlikely to be ever fixed (IIRC what they said, the driver should have been opensourced originally, but this was killed by Elopocalipse).

Also I think the drivers/hardware adaptation on N9 and N950 is licensed from Nokia under a non-commercial terms. This might also complicate things a but.

Other possibilities:
  • they don't want to alienate sales of their own device
  • fear of some company slapping together a Sailfish phone before Jolla (IMHO unlikely)
  • fear of indirect support costs (even if you tell people they are on your own, this does not mean they won't still spam you with questions per Email or on Twitter)

Still, it is quite unfortunate, due to all the wasted potential - both for Sailfish application development and due to giving a new life the N9 device family.
this is really bugging /annoying sence

hope things change by time or people change their minds

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
This must be the front camera? I surely hope it has one.
It was confirmed in one of the Engadget articles, think it was a video tour they did with Marc.
This is a basic feature, I doubt they'd leave it out, but who knows in the end...

Originally Posted by soryuuha View Post
lameman,
if for nokia, worst email client should be
Don't feed, just report, the higher the report ratio, the greater the likelihood his excrement will be washed away.

Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
this is really bugging /annoying sence
hope things change by time or people change their minds
While that's still fresh in your mind, here's some more background_info/detail to help things sink in further:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...85#post1345385
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...11#post1345411

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-05-21 at 06:45.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
It is really clear to me that they can't talk about display resolution etc. because they've yet to nail down a supplier for the display, and I suspect they don't want to reveal anything that might give suppliers a chance to raise the price on the component ("you promised this resolution," the supplier says, "And if you want to keep your promise, you'll have to buy this component, which is now 50% more expensive!")

The thing that puzzles me is how coy they're being about a keyboard option for the device.

P: I’m sure you’re aware that one of the biggest other-half possibilities we’ve heard, on Twitter and in comments, is one that supports a physical QWERTY keyboard. Is that a possibility?

MD: I have a big smile on my face! The sky is the limit, and the imagination is the limit for what can be done with the other-half.
Does this mean that they've got a keyboard other half, but they want to keep that as a surprise? Or does it mean that they don't have one, they're not going to make one, and they're expecting the community to make one?

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
No its not, because most of the stuff is mer/nemo so stop cry and go out on github and contribute instead of whine about how not open sailfish is! If you get any trouble with some linrary who is not open THEN you and others can come back cry about not openess platform.

But right now I am seriously sick and tired of people who whines and probadly not even has contributed anything in merproject and only sitting on TMO cry about no HWKBD or bllablabla.

FOr once more REALIZE FACTS! Jolla is a small company stop compare them with ridicilous big companys as Google, Apple or Nokia. They must hold back some info, they most hold back some of the sourcecode and they depend on people who contribute.

If you don't like thjis well go for something else instead of sitting here and cry.

Again, this post is NOT only pointing on igguk there are several more whines on TMO who really never seems to get it!
You're the one who doesn't get it (this isn't my opinion, its the fact :P)

Jolla could've easily made a page and made a poll for everyone to vote on their favourite attributes such as:
- Favourite screen ratio (16:9 would've won)
- Favourite screen size (large would've probably won)
- Favourite bezel size (small would've probably won)
- Sides of the screen swiping, a la N9 (favoured or not?)
- Top of the screen swiping, a la Android (favoured or not?)
- Bottom of the screen swiping (favoured or not?)

...then get their designers to make the product.
Then have some random/respected Chinese OEM/factory(s) build the hardware (eg/ TCL, Ainol, Meizu etc etc). Basically, they do the hardware to your specifications.
You do the software. A bit more costly, but a smoother operation.

< could even be a KickStarter campaing, remember the buggy OUYa? >

After having some stock (10,000 units?) make a revealing and start pre-ordering.
Then begin shipping to happy customers, as best as you can.

I'm flattered

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
You're the one who doesn't get it (this isn't my opinion, its the fact :P)

Jolla could've easily made a page and made a poll for everyone to vote on their favourite attributes such as:
I kind of disagreee here... Whats a camel; a horse designed by committee.
You cannot get a clear design vision out of polling randoim dudes off the net, sorry.
Might sound a bit elitist but it's a fact of life

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Close to you
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Big difference with Nokia: You can use Mer and Nemo now, on various other devices. In fact you can use them on *any* device as long as it has linux drivers (too bad this is only true for x86 and pretty much nothing else) Maemo was never able to run on anything else than NIT's, not because of lack of drivers, but because of dependency spaghetti (deliberate or not)

They have cleanly seperated their code from the community code, no tangled binary dependencies, no stupid maemo-generic-pr metapackage. They also contribute to open projects as they work, no big code-drops, android/Tizen style. If that is not openness what is it? Ok some GUI apps may be closed, so what? We can make replacements, it's not like we'll need to reverse-engineer bme.

The system is so compliant to standards that people have managed to run the actual sailfish os from the x86 emulator image on compatible tablets. Try that with maemo.

PS. N959 is a Nokia/Boeing/Porsche hybrid?
I knew I was going to get some beating when I wrote about the true openness Sailfish and more so here.

Look in all I am very happy this is happening now and I am looking forward for them to succeed, as I see it this can only benefit people who is favoring the open-source movement. I like also how they are promoting Qt as for development toolkit
I am just a bit worried as to why the Jolla team does not openly discuss what are their future plans for open-sourcing the closed parts… the UX and the drivers, I understand they might not be able to do so now because being a small company on a Shark territory they might lose some competitive advantage, but still they could openly discuss if they plan to do so at some point in the future.
Would everybody here for instance be happy knowing that the closed parts will remain like so forever? I know my answer.

When I said Android is more open than Sailfish now is because it is, heck even somebody skilled enough could cook their own ROM, all is available there and for instance Ubuntu people are taking advantage of it, and yes you can have a terminal on it if you wish don’t forget it’s based still on a linux core , please don’t tell me about Google evil company I know about it don’t like it either… but is not the matter we are discussing here.

That’s all that I wanted to say and I know that while I will get again a beating here, I am voicing also some concerns that maybe a small part of this forums has.
As I don’t want to start a war here about this, this will be my last comment on it I will just continue to read the forums and Jolla news and probably will get the phone when released.

I said in the post before that the hardware does not appeal to me (that was bound to happen with the resources they have) but I forgot to add that I like very much what I see about the Os's and that if well executed which is a very big If "the Other half" idea may be the disrupting thing Elop was chasing years ago...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to igguk1 For This Useful Post:

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red