Notices

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Please clarify, did disabling DNG fix the problem?

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Posts: 230 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki, Suomi (Finland)
I'd like to request a timer feature to help making timelapse videos.
Logic would be: Take total of n photos at x resolution at interval of y seconds.

For example so I could take 3600 images of 854x480 at 1s intervals.

Can someone recommend already existing app for this N9? I just bought Fastmotion pro and it fills the ram+swap until the OS freezes, which makes it unusable.

Edit: Being able to have files named sequentially eg. img000001.jpg, img000002.jpg, .. would be also useful. Ability to toggle screen blaking is probably a must to prevent screen burning and useless battery drain.

Last edited by ladoga; 2012-12-09 at 11:03.

@qwazix, please changelog for Rawcam 1.0.4 Maemo?

rawcam 1.0.4
* Fixed the creation of the DCIM folder which was accidentally commented out
* Fixed the accelerometer based stabilization to work in all conditions
* Added a combined Accelerometer&Burst stabilization mode
* Now N900 version is again on par with N9
* N900 when quitting by closing lens cover still inhibits the regular camera from working until reboot. Currently only workaround is to go to switcher and press the x button.

Get harmattan binary from my repository and fremantle from extas-devel

I was hoping I could incorporate the function of the fremantle application lowlight into rawcam but unfortunately lowlight is not open-source. I found however this pdf which explains the algorithm. I don't know if I will find the time to decipher it, but if anybody wants to help you are very welcome to provide pseudocode for this, and I will include it in rawcam.

@Ladoga, I remember that there was a way to capture camera frames with gstreamer on the N900, specifically screen-sized ones. Writing a shell script to run the command should be trivial, and the command should work on the N9 too. This fulfills all your requirements and is easy to implement. I suggest you search for the relevant command and if you are not familliar with shell scripting, start a new thread asking for help. The result will be useful to many people.

Now it's time for a shameless plug

I was on a nokia exhibition stand and they had a "dark room" so that potential customers could compare the Lumia 920 with their mortal cameraphones, so I took the bait and tried my luck with rawcam and the N9. Here's the result
L920N9

Now the comparizon isn't completely fair because I just snapped with the L920 and I tried several times with different settings with the N9 to capture the second image. On the other hand that dark box was tailored to suit the L920 camera (thus the better whitebalance).

The L920 photo still looks better, but it seems they've gone the Kodak/Canon way and they've applied a bit more post-processing otb. It seems like some of the details have been lost (too much NR). Unfortunately I didn't take a raw picture with the N9, only JPG.

So I applied some quick steps of enhancement in gimp and got an even more close result. (Meaning that with a little optimization on the software side we can almost match the 'amazing' L920 camera)

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Thank you qwazix for making rawcam! With the Shutter speed priority, and the Manual mode's spot focus it might just be the only digital camera I will want to use. I love it!

I have 2 questions:
1) does the rawcam behave differently with and without a screen protector? I already have the protector on when I installed rawcam, and wonder if the controls will feel different without it. If so I'll take it off.
2) When it says to "cover the proximity sensor to focus" is it for all types of operation whether AF or MF ?

Thanks again!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HLing For This Useful Post:
HLing, thanks!

I don't know about the screen protector, I don't use one, maybe a fellow user can help you with that.

About the focus: Short answer: autofocus only. Both full-auto & point.
Longer answer: I hated the lack of camera button on the N9. The default way of focusing, press to focus release to snap is a major way to introduce camera shake because it's a transition from a stabler to a less stable situation. Let me explain. On a real camera, in low light conditions the best way to operate is to hold the camera as stable as you can, half-press to focus, wait for the best moment, the one you feel most stable, press the button and keep it pressed (that is why the cameras have a seperate burst mode instead of always bursting when you keep the button pressed, even if at first thought it makes sense). The movement is from a loose grip to a firmer, while on touch-only phones it's from a firm grip (right thumb pressing against the screen) to a looser where the right side of the phone is practically in the air while the snap is captured. When you try to capture one-handed it's even difficult to not drop the phone, let alone take a steady picture.

So I decided that the best thing to do is to provide a separate focusing mechanism, and covering the proximity sensor can be done without blocking the viewfinder, and easily when holding the phone with both hands.

Arie requested to include the default touch to focus functionality too so that came in an update but is disabled by default on the N9. On the N900 it's of course enabled as we have a real two-step camera button. However you can still pre-focus with the proximity sensor anyway.

In manual mode the focusing is controlled by the slider only (except if there is a bug)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
rawcam 1.0.4
* N900 when quitting by closing lens cover still inhibits the regular camera from working until reboot. Currently only workaround is to go to switcher and press the x button.
Would you elaborate on what is the exact problem, maybe I could help with some ideas or code.

EDIT:
Going to give it a try.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

Last edited by freemangordon; 2012-12-10 at 20:54.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Thanks freemangordon for stepping in.

Detailed description of the closing problem on fremantle:

In rawcam, I have a trigger that when the user closes the camera lens cover the application quits. I have investigated the problem pretty thoroughly and I thought I had all the right things before closing. Obviously, this is not the case. In my code you will find many qDebug's printing messages in various stages of the exit process because of that.

After closing this way, if you launch camera-ui it quits before being able to show the viewfinder with
Code:
Internal error. Application 'camera' closed.
When I am testing the latest version rawcam segfaults at the latest stage of closing, but during trying to fix the issue this wasn't always the case, but the problem remained the same. I had managed to prevent the segfault but I was still getting a
Code:
QThread destroyed while running
in the console. As I was just trying to fix the issue and my changes broke the N9 closing sequence I reverted to the segfault situation.

On the N9, and when you ctrl+bkspc -> close on the N900, there is no such problem.

More info:
Fcamera (which works as intended) uses this code to handle the closing sequence
Code:
   // Connect the threads together in a daisy chain to get them all
    // to stop and then quit the app
    QObject::connect(cameraThread, SIGNAL(finished()), 
                     &IOThread::writer(), SLOT(stop()));
    QObject::connect(&IOThread::writer(), SIGNAL(finished()),
                     &IOThread::reader(), SLOT(stop()));
    QObject::connect(&IOThread::reader(), SIGNAL(finished()),
                     &app, SLOT(quit()));
full listing here

My relevant code:

Code:
    //when the lens cover closes stop the camera thread
    QObject::connect(cameraThread, SIGNAL(lensCoverClosed()),
                     cameraThread, SLOT(stop()));
    //and show a message that we are about to shut down
    QObject::connect(cameraThread, SIGNAL(lensCoverClosed()),
                     closing, SLOT(show()));
    // Once the camera thread stops, quit the app
    QObject::connect(cameraThread, SIGNAL(finished()),
                     &app, SLOT(quit()));
full listing here, lines 405 - 415

I have also made my custom app class derived from QApplication so that I can reimplement the quit function to make sure all the threads have quit before quitting the app, but with no results.
Code:
void RawcamApp::quit(){
    qDebug()<<"preparing to exit";
    cameraThread->wait();
    delete cameraThread;
    delete overlay;
    QApplication::quit();
}
full listing here

Despite all of the above if there are images in the pipeline to be saved, and somebody closes the window (currently the only way to exit on harmattan) the app quits forcefully so I needed to include the following line after the app.exec(); clause
Code:
while (cameraThread->writer->savesPending() > 0) sleep(1);
Thus the app stays open without gui until it saves all images.

Actual console output in the current version
Code:
stop false
preparing to exit
out
Segmentation fault
* code on github is one version behind, but there are no changes to any of the relevant parts. Latest source exists in extras-devel, and I will push one of the next days to github anyway.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Hi, I have a n950 and I installed rawcam 1.0.4. When I try to launch it I get a black preview and the user interface on top. When I take a picture (although it is black on the preview before taking it) the picture is saved and is not black.
Is it the viewfinder problem mentioned in the first post?
How can I solve this black preview problem? could it be a dependency problem although I checked that everything required is instsalled. (I also tried versions 1.0.3 and 1.0.0 and it is the same)
Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to aStrike For This Useful Post:
It's not a dependency issue.

Unfortunately the N950 uses some kind of different overlay so I cannot make it show anything, I tried whatever could pass from my mind without sucess. I managed to get some different results like green window and totally black (without GUI) but no real picture.

Although, the picture is taken, the colors are wrong, as showcased n the first post. This problem requires reverse-engineering the fcam drivers and fixing N950 support. One dev from #nemomobile tweetes that he did that but I haven't contacted him.

This task is up for the taking. For now my priority is fixing N900 support and adding some new things.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post: