Originally Posted by adityamhatre View Post
"http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/562520"
visit this to vote....PROVISIONAL ONLY
Hey adityamhatre, I appreciate your effort but there's another 2 months to collect entries yet. You're a bit early setting up your voting lol

I think this was a bit of fun for adityamhatre. So there's no confusion we still aim to have our official competition voting via the same mechanism as last time, which is similar to the Maemo Council elections.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
How's the app called Saera progressing, is it a good chance? (username: taixzo)
Sorry I'm not up-to-speed on how it's all supposed to be unfolding.
Would anyone be so kind as to briefly summarise?

TIA.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-07-10 at 11:34. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
How's the app called Saera progressing, is it a good chance? (username: taixzo)
Sorry I'm not up-to-speed on how it's all supposed to be unfolding.
Would anyone be so kind as to briefly summarise?

TIA.
Hi jalyst, all we at the competition know about the progress of competiton entries is what the developer puts on the participants table on the wiki page - at the moment taixzo has Saera listed as 3% completed. But it's probably moved on since that table was updated.

The best thing to do would be to reach out to taixzo directly, or leave a message on the official Saera thread asking for an update. Then you'll have the most up to date info from the best source

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I added my entry to the list (I did it wrong and had to make several revisions till I got it right, so if you missed all the entries for a moment it's my fault)

The application is called ρcam and it going to do just that. Capture raw images. Initially this will be for harmattan as there are a lot of good camera options for fremantle. I hope this task completes quickly so more features can be baked in before the end of the competition.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I added my entry to the list (I did it wrong and had to make several revisions till I got it right, so if you missed all the entries for a moment it's my fault)
Welcome aboard qwazix

We're at the one month stage, a third of the way in, and we have 45 applications registered as taking part so far

Here's the breakdown per category:

Desktop, System, and Utilities: 11
Games, Graphics, and Multimedia: 15
Location & Navigation; 1 (thanks felipe!)
Network & Communications; 7
Other: 4
Updates: 6
TBD: 1

As you can see, 'Location & Navigation' is still proving to be not so popular as the other categories. I did say a couple of weeks ago that if it remained unpopular that today I'd split 'Games' and join "Location" with "Graphics, and Multimedia". I still think this is the best course of action, although it's not a great idea to change things while the competition is running it would be still better to do it now than wait. Unless someone is really upset with the idea, I think it's what we'll do

By making 'Games' a seperate category, and moving the non-game applications (after a quick initial look at the descriptions I'm thinking RecZoom, MaeLyrica, 3d-inator, and pcam) to join GeePS2 in the new category we'd have:

Games: 10
Location, Graphics, and Multimedia: 5

Which looks much healthier for the competition and I think it works out well for everyone. Our hope is we'll end up with atleast 6 in each category at the end of the competition to help voting and get prizes easily assigned to folks.

We also have 18 beginner applications registered so far which is very cool

----
rcolistete, something has happened with the table where you have ended up with two entries, but one looks incomplete. There is a:

rcolistete (Roberto Colistete Jr.) Calculus (calculates limits, derivatives and integrals) for MeeGo Harmattan Other 70% N
and a:
rcolistete (Roberto Colistete Jr.) Other 70% N
Can you confirm for me if you should have two entrries? If so we'll need to fix the second one as it's missing an application name, else I'll remove it as a duplicate.

Thanks all for your continued support

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-07-11 at 09:20.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
----
rcolistete, something has happened with the table where you have ended up with two entries, but one looks incomplete.
Somebody made an edit error. I've fixed it, thanks.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 722 | Thanked: 1,223 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ USA
I don't have any problems with reorganizing the "Location & Navigation" category but, at the same time, I really don't want us to start any "drama" by changing the rules.

I can't quite make up my mind if I think that is better to reorganize the categories now that we only have my entry or wait until the end so we can get all on board.

I am tempted to suggest waiting. In fact, I would suggest that instead of the reorganization we actually consider reallocating devices based on the number of entries. Any categories with less than 8 entries would only get # of entries/2 devices. Any "unused" devices would be reallocated to the categories with the most entries.

Just my 2ct

My maemo work:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
WakeOnLan - wake computers on your local network.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network
dbBrowser: Simple application to browse sqlite databases

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fcrochik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fcrochik View Post
I am tempted to suggest waiting. In fact, I would suggest that instead of the reorganization we actually consider reallocating devices based on the number of entries. Any categories with less than 8 entries would only get # of entries/2 devices. Any "unused" devices would be reallocated to the categories with the most entries.

Just my 2ct
Thanks fcrochik. Hmm .. yeah I can see what you're saying, but i can also see that opening a can of worms.. with people suggesting some categories are more deserving than others, and that categories with fewer entries should maybe get more devices (those types of applications could be less represented in the community and that work maybe valued more). Hmm..

From the organising point of view, hoping to get away with the quick category change as 2 seconds updates the wiki rather than another week or more re-discussing the categories and device split etc.

In terms of drama by changing the rules, hopefully people come into the competition understanding that things can and most likely will change as we go along. The community is changing around us, sometimes we have to adapt to that. There's also a sneaky "(NB: The final details are still being ironed out, so the below is subject to change. Keep watching this space!)" in the competition wiki to cover changes The fact is it won't be the first or probably not the last change as we go through, but we try to keep them at a minimum

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-07-11 at 12:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
kojacker i think its ok to change things as you go along...maybe wait for all entries to be received then get a consensus from all the developers on changing the allocation of devices...the difference between what is happening now and what you are worried of is that you are open and transparent with everyone and there are a number of people giving their feedback here...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
kojacker i think its ok to change things as you go along...maybe wait for all entries to be received then get a consensus from all the developers on changing the allocation of devices...the difference between what is happening now and what you are worried of is that you are open and transparent with everyone and there are a number of people giving their feedback here...
Thanks thedead. You mention changing the device allocation, I really don't want to have to change the allocation of devices. If that was to happen we'd have to bring the entire question of categories and device split back to day 0 discussions again. But ofcourse if that was to happen we'd need the consensus of the developers, you are quite correct about that

My proposal was to shift some applications (Multimedia and Graphics applications) from the Games category and join them with the Location category, but I want to keep the device allocation for each of the main categories the same.

It's hard for me to get a feel of things, so looking at replies and thanks I'm feeling that most people so far (fcrochik, ljo, thedead1440, don.edri) would prefer waiting until all entries are received before discussing and coming up with a solution. A number of people have read but not commented, so I take that as neutral. At the end of the day we run this competition for you guys out there, so if that's what the maemo.org community wants then I guess that's what we'll do I can see major headaches ahead though

For a start, the language in the wiki will need to be toned down right away from "Our categories are..." to something like "final categories for judging will be confirmed once all entries are submitted". Same again for the device allocation, "will be decided once all entries are submitted." We'll be dismantling a lot of the competition structure we've built up over the past month

I really think it's just so much simpler to move Multimedia and Graphics applications to the Location category and be done.. bah!
---
Reminder for myself: reach out to Felipe about his prize donation..(Edit: PM sent)

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-07-11 at 13:51.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:

Tags
happy new year, mcc2012, merry christmas