Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Hi,
Can anyone help in finding a contact's history. For example i want to find the number of times i've contacted a person. Similar to log in older phones and call history on blackberries.

I've just moved from my bb to n9 so this function is quite needed.

Thanks in advance.

Hi abustany,

many thanks for the support you give here in the forums. It makes us (owners of N9) feel that the platform isn't just dead yet, and that we'll have some support for the lifetime of the device.

I have a question/request. One of the few things that I really miss is the ability of synchronizing my contacts and calendars directly with a desktop (I have a Mac, and used to do this with iSync via bluetooth). I know this can be achieved by synchronizing both the Mac and the N9 with Google, but it sort of defeats the purpose of having a non-Android device.

So I'm wondering:

1) Is this going to be supported in the near future?

2) If not, I'm thinking of trying to hack a quick solution for it. Probably a "sync on demand" app running both on the Mac and the N9, via wifi, to begin with.
Now, the trouble is, I found the calendars in a sqlite3 file ".calendar/db", but there's no such equivalent for the contacts. My only hint are the "contactsd" and "contacts" processes running. I saw your earlier post hinting at querying QContactFetchRequest (never programmed with QT before, so I'll have to dig that up), is that the only way to interact with contacts?

Thanks in advance!

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
anybody???

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Hi,
Can anyone help in finding a contact's history. For example i want to find the number of times i've contacted a person. Similar to log in older phones and call history on blackberries.

Thanks in advance.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I asked this in a seperate thread and was referred to here, so I will post it again in case Abustany can explain to me how the fb contacts/local contacts relationship is handled.

In settings there is a very handy option to show facebook availability only to those contacts I have locally. Now I have a contact in facebook, and I want to be able to chat with him. It happens that I also have the same contact locally, but with a different email address so I wouldn't expect the system to know the relationship. I opened the facebook app, found the contact, but the only thing I can do is send him an email. I tried to edit the local contact and add the email address he uses on facebook, but still there is no relationship. Other people suggested switching to full facebook availability, merging the contacts and then deleting the other contacts, but this is too hard work for just one contact.

Thanks for reading. It became too long eventually

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Hi,

Thanks in advance.
You can kinda sorta view this info from the phone app. On the first tab that shows Recent calls, tap where it says Recent calls and select Dialed calls from the list. It shows every single call you've made in one view.

There's unfortunately no way to group by contact, but you can get a decent idea of when you called someone. You can tap and hold the call entry to see the duration.

Originally Posted by unrealdtc View Post
I'm having an 'interesting' problem since I updated to PR1.1 on the n9. I noticed my contacts were lacking Twitter information, so I deleted my twitter account, in order to recreate it. After that, I had to use the trick described on this page to be able to connect to twitter again, and then magic, my contacts had their twitter information back... until I rebooted the telephone...

Anyone experiencing this problem with Twitter contacts disappearing from Contacts?
I can confirm that I'm having this same problem on PR1.1 -- Twitter connections are disappearing on reboot. Interestingly enough, it seems that the connections are actually there; the Twitter integration just fails to get activated.

If I go into the Accounts app and disable the Twitter account (toggle the switch in the top right of the Twitter account settings and then hit save) and then re-enable the Twitter account, the connections come back. Furthermore, contact associations that I previously made manually come back, even though they could not possibly have been picked up automatically. (I previously made contact associations "manually" by renaming contacts to match their Twitter handle before adding my Twitter account, and then renaming the contacts back.)

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
There was some mention, that Google supports power saving mode, using not standardized XEP (which isn't even official yet):
http://dave.cridland.net/xeps/google-queue.html
While Facebook supports something else with similar intentions:
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=38943

So I wonder what other XMPP servers (ejabberd, openfire etc.) do for this matter and how it affects battery life.
As far as I know, gabble supports this XEP and it works with Gtalk. I don't know about Facebook support, basically if gabble supports it then the N9 does...

The Following User Says Thank You to abustany For This Useful Post:
Hi,

Thanks in advance.
Hi,

as far as I know this feature is not built in, however since all the data is available in the central database (Tracker), doing a 3rd party app that shows the logs for each contact would be really easy... Now you just need to find someone to make it, or make it yourself

Originally Posted by mvladivostok View Post
Hi abustany,

many thanks for the support you give here in the forums. It makes us (owners of N9) feel that the platform isn't just dead yet, and that we'll have some support for the lifetime of the device.

I have a question/request. One of the few things that I really miss is the ability of synchronizing my contacts and calendars directly with a desktop (I have a Mac, and used to do this with iSync via bluetooth). I know this can be achieved by synchronizing both the Mac and the N9 with Google, but it sort of defeats the purpose of having a non-Android device.

So I'm wondering:

1) Is this going to be supported in the near future?

2) If not, I'm thinking of trying to hack a quick solution for it. Probably a "sync on demand" app running both on the Mac and the N9, via wifi, to begin with.
Now, the trouble is, I found the calendars in a sqlite3 file ".calendar/db", but there's no such equivalent for the contacts. My only hint are the "contactsd" and "contacts" processes running. I saw your earlier post hinting at querying QContactFetchRequest (never programmed with QT before, so I'll have to dig that up), is that the only way to interact with contacts?

Thanks in advance!
I think syncml synchronization is supported, did you try to go to settings -> backup/sync -> sync? I never used that feature myself though.

If you want to interact with any PIM data on N9, the recommended way is to use the qt mobility apis. For calendar, you can also use libmkcal. Using Tracker directly to modify contacts etc. is discouraged, it's quite complex and you can hose your DB

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I asked this in a seperate thread and was referred to here, so I will post it again in case Abustany can explain to me how the fb contacts/local contacts relationship is handled.

In settings there is a very handy option to show facebook availability only to those contacts I have locally. Now I have a contact in facebook, and I want to be able to chat with him. It happens that I also have the same contact locally, but with a different email address so I wouldn't expect the system to know the relationship. I opened the facebook app, found the contact, but the only thing I can do is send him an email. I tried to edit the local contact and add the email address he uses on facebook, but still there is no relationship. Other people suggested switching to full facebook availability, merging the contacts and then deleting the other contacts, but this is too hard work for just one contact.

Thanks for reading. It became too long eventually
No worry, that was not too long If you have a local contact with the same name as your Facebook contact, then they should get merged... Else, you can open the "merge" panel in contacts app from the menu, and click the "Refresh" button in the toolbar on the bottom. As far as I know, you cannot chat with contacts that are not in your contact list (but then I'm not a Facebook user ).

The way facebook contacts are handled on N9 is a bit complex... Because Facebook data can't be in the shared DB for license reasons, they are in a separate, protected DB. However, the "chat" part of the facebook contacts comes through XMPP, and therefore is public. The contacts application does the matching in memory.