Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by tanago View Post
I can make a script for myself and I dont doubt you can too.
Hmm, just to be clear: deskypplet is written in C by me and by Sethkha, even if he no longer is part of it.
And the external stuff can be written in just about any language (most of the included stuff is written in python nowadays) and you had to write your own search plugin, because that is not something i would do for you...

But this is not the point, my point was to find a file manager that has all these functions itself I thought when S60 platform has such f.m. maemo will have too but its OK when it doesnt. Thanks everyone!!
-I guess most people dont need it because they know where they have put their files in the first place
But.. I havent understood the idea to let the user be limited to what is included , and just not add a few lines of code to let the user add external stuff themselves. Especially in filemanagers, where programs like Directory-OPUS have shown how it should be done for decades.

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Vlaardingen, Netherlands
Speaking of Directory Opus (like version 4.x on the Amiga), there is Worker for Linux, which might be interesting to port (I am not a programmer so I have no idea how ).
And I think Midnight Commander can be configured to open media files with a mediaplayer, looks like its default setting for mp3 on the n900 is to open it with xmms. MC can enter archives as well ( f3 or doubleclick). searching for files is easy (from command menu) but it does take some learning and is not as user friendly as a full gui filemanager.

Usually I just use tinysmb to mount the n900 directories on the PC and use KDE´s filemanager to search and organize files.

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by Whispering Weasel View Post
Speaking of Directory Opus (like version 4.x on the Amiga)
Amiga precisely! It does exist for windows nowadays too, but then it is a complete explorer replacement that doesnt look anything like the amigaoriginal.

However, i used to love opus and arexx , so worker looks very interesting

Usually I just use tinysmb to mount the n900 directories on the PC and use KDE´s filemanager to search and organize files.
( I use deskypplet as my filemanager )

Last edited by electroaudio; 2012-08-09 at 09:02.

Posts: 215 | Thanked: 448 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Burgas, Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Whispering Weasel View Post
there is Worker for Linux, which might be interesting to port (I am not a programmer so I have no idea how ).
You really got me interested with this program, it seems that I will be missing only the hex-editing with it. But here I will have to do some work and port it. Is there anything that I should know when I'm porting apps to Maemo?

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@tanago,

May I ask why you need a hex editor for the N900?

If there isn't one already for the N900 (probably out of lack of interest), you might try taking one from Linux and (trying to) compile it from the Maemo SDK.

That's been on my to-do list for some time, but for now I haven't had a real need so it's been left on low priority..

Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
This is what I am using, however be careful with closing/exiting:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=79563
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate