Active Topics

I wait for Jolla and then decide. If both fail I'll get a Nexus 4 and wait for another mobile OSS.

And maybe get a Firefox OS device to play with and flash my N9 with Nemo or Sailfish.

Last edited by Morpog; 2013-01-31 at 21:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
plus I know that some of the developers on this forum code for BB10, so it can't be too bad, right?
BB10 is probably just as good as iOS and WP is for application developers. But I couldn't port ProfileMatic to it, the APIs just are not there at the moment.

But hey, at the last minute, I did "Date Difference Calculator" just to have something there. So go ahead and download it, and calculate how much time you have until the next end of the world date .

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
Does anyone have a Z10? I wonder if there are any performance differences that matter between it and the Dev Alpha devices.
Don't have a Z10 at the moment, but I know where one's located. The Z10 will have 2gb RAM whereas the Dev Alpha B has only 1gb. That will make a difference under load.

I am also curious about the app situation in BB World. I saw that Angry Birds is available now, but what about some of the other show-stopper apps that they announced were "committed to" BB10, like WhatsApp, Skype, etc.? Also, I saw a vid for a free app called Nobex radio that looked solid, plus I know that some of the developers on this forum code for BB10, so it can't be too bad, right?
I have to mirror what Marxian said earlier. Of the proposed 70k, so far I've seen a lot of poor Android ports or apps that were the same app, but specific to one area or city - like there's a ton of apps by some developers that seem to be rapid fire submissions. Not too sure about that.

Rumors have put WhatsApp into May.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I don't like the UI. First of all, I never used swipe up on my N9. The swipe from the right or left is effortless while the swipe from the bottom requires you to bend your thumb as if you'd want to hit a button. In fact hitting a central touch sensitive control button is easier.

Apart from that I don't think I can live without widgets AND without an event/notification screen. Unfortunately Sailfish has the same problem.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
I don't like the UI. First of all, I never used swipe up on my N9. The swipe from the right or left is effortless while the swipe from the bottom requires you to bend your thumb as if you'd want to hit a button. In fact hitting a central touch sensitive control button is easier.

Apart from that I don't think I can live without widgets AND without an event/notification screen. Unfortunately Sailfish has the same problem.
Use the swipe on the N9; trust me 15mins with it and you'll not want the central touch button

Secondly, Jolla have said there will be something similar re notifications/events feed; we don't know how it would look like but I think they have taken feedback on board hence their statement...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I saw the exact same app 4 times by "different" publisher (first name, full name and two random company names ending both in -labs. Come on BlackBerry don't make us who played fair feel stupid.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post

Rumors have put WhatsApp into May.
If that is true, tgalal should troll and release wazapp on bb10. Hell, I wont be surprised if someone else gives it a shot seeing as yousup is foss!

The Following User Says Thank You to Nad For This Useful Post:
I'm deeply excited and deeply disappointed by BB10.
I was hoping for something that can hold onto 5-10% of the global market share but that seems highly unlikely. I have many bones to pick with WP8, but its nonetheless somewhat competent. I hope it would achieve 10-15% global market share... yet that's highly unlikely.

What this means is that in the next 2-4 years, Android will dominate anywhere between 50-75% and iOS will dominate anywhere between 20-35%. Leaving less than 10% for competitors.

That means there will be no [worthy] competition in this market, so only gradual improvements will be made. As evident from the subpar leap on Gnex-Nex4, or Note1-Note2, or i4S-i5.

I've got a great ideas for:
- Physical hardware (mini 4.0 cheap phone, flagship 4.5 phone, QWERTY, large 5.4 phone, gaming peripheral, 7in tablet, 9in 4:3 pad, 11in hybrid)

- Device specs and pricing model

- Modern UX (GUI)

- Modern mobile OS (Very opensource, Linux (3.7) and Qt-based framework).

I'm flattered

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
You all seem to forget the enterprise oriented features. This may catch a huge market as no one is currently offering a true business phone. One that enterprises can depend on and can lock securely within their location/network.

Last edited by Bundyo; 2013-02-02 at 15:56.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
You all seen to forget the enterprise oriented features. This may catch a huge market as no one is currently offering a true business phone. One that enterprises can depend on and can lock securely within their location/network.
+1 million.

The top priority of the BB10 gameplan seems to be to secure the business phone market segment. And while the improvements in terms of hardware, media, gaming, UI, etc. are welcome to some mass market consumer types, the idea that a first generation BB10 is going to steal marketshare from iDrones or Android types who have a very high repurchase loyalty rate is fantasy, if you only take the consumer side of the picture into account. But people increasingly have multiple phones, and one of those is a business phone (the other is a mistress phone).

So, regarding mature smartphone markets, the BB10 smartphone installed base could grow due to its popularity as a business phone, either as an additional specialty phone or as a two-in-one device. In developing markets, being a true business+personal phone that has fewer compromises with the modern smartphone experience offered by competitors may be enough to win some sales. Overall, I think these steps were taken to decrease the rate of defections to iOS and Android due to increasing popularity of BYOD policies.

I think BB has a FAR better chance at 5% to 10% share than does WP8, which will hopefully drive the innovation that Kangal and so many of us want.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hacker For This Useful Post:

Tags
bb 10, blackberry