Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I am willing to bet that the vast majority of Ubuntu edge backers despise sandboxing (not to mention that it doesn't fit within their convergence idea). I will be certainly disappointed if they end up shipping a crippled OS. Now I wouldn't object in a "run in sandbox" option, but an iOS style walled garden is not my cup of tea.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
I was just wondering. Why can canonical proceed if they only make it to say, 10 million dollars? Is that too small an amount to pay for manufacture and still break even?

EDIT: Oops! I had meant can't. Too late now! Fortunately Dave999 got it right!

Last edited by mscion; 2013-08-08 at 16:12.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
I was just wondering. Why can canonical proceed if they only make it to say, 10 million dollars? Is that too small an amount to pay for manufacture and still break even?
They could probably build a device for 10 but not with that spec, but to me even 32 seems to be a bit low. What they want to do is to be able to negotiate the best spec possible at the time. the bigger number they have, the better spec/price. So it's about scale. So my guess is that they have talks with vendors and decided that 32 is the minimum for a solid device according to what they want to achieve.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-08-08 at 15:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
They seem to have a good leadership. That is certainly a good sign.

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
They seem to have a good leadership. That is certainly a good sign.
Funny, my conclusion would be the exact opposite based on how the crowd-funding campaign is handled.
Not that I would know much about leadership, but:
Lots of mistakes == bad leadership
in my basic way of thinking.

Still hoping they succeed, I want my Edge!!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Funny, my conclusion would be the exact opposite based on how the crowd-funding campaign is handled.
Not that I would know much about leadership, but:
Lots of mistakes == bad leadership
in my basic way of thinking.

Still hoping they succeed, I want my Edge!!
I think their leadership outjumps Jolla's by a mile.

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I am willing to bet that the vast majority of Ubuntu edge backers despise sandboxing (not to mention that it doesn't fit within their convergence idea). I will be certainly disappointed if they end up shipping a crippled OS. Now I wouldn't object in a "run in sandbox" option, but an iOS style walled garden is not my cup of tea.
You are probably right, but that is just because they associate sand-boxing and security with the iOS walled garden. It really isn't.
Android has a clear security model, and that is a good thing. You can still side-load applications and root your device.

For me full convergence also means a rich ecosystem of mobile application ported from iOS, Android, and Qt based platforms.
Lack of a decent way to secure the data on your phone is just another obstacle together with a lack of users.

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
I think their leadership outjumps Jolla's by a mile.
ah, don't know about that. I'm waiting for the actual device to be available. I normally don't like pre-ordering in these cases, way too many unknowns.
For the Edge I didn't have the option. But even if the Ubuntu Edge sucks as a phone, I wouldn't mind losing the money to Ubuntu, since I'm a happy user of their OS on the desktop for 7 years now and counting.

I actually suspect that the Jolla phone will be a much better phone than the Edge, but we will see when both are available.
I would be pleasantly surprised if either can rival the N9 in aesthetics and user experience.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
ah, don't know about that. I'm waiting for the actual device to be available. I normally don't like pre-ordering in these cases, way too many unknowns.
For the Edge I didn't have the option. But even if the Ubuntu Edge sucks as a phone, I wouldn't mind losing the money to Ubuntu, since I'm a happy user of their OS on the desktop for 7 years now and counting.

I actually suspect that the Jolla phone will be a much better phone than the Edge, but we will see when both are available.
I would be pleasantly surprised if either can rival the N9 in aesthetics and user experience.
You can return ubuntu edge if you don't like it before you use it, if you don't like to support it anymore.

"A standard manufacturer warranty will apply. If you are not happy with the product, you may return it within 28 days of receiving it for a full refund. Please note, Canonical can not cover the cost of the return postage and packaging."

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-08-08 at 19:11.

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Ubuntu phone will have sandboxing and security profiles.

I don't know the details yet enough to know if that makes me happy or not. But I understand both sides of the argument as presented here.